• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks looking for a new GM

Vol4ever

Sure he doesn't have to be brought back to continue our success. But for all the years we have suffered with finding a GM like him, and then just to write him off for a small mistake like the one he made (and has more than paid for), I just think for him not to be brought back is completely asinine. Of course they will say it is for basketball reasons but we all know that is not the case. And no, I will not be on 'suicide watch' if this is what ends up happening. But a new GM would never have had a franchise delivered to him on a silver platter like he will with what Danny has setup for him. Hopefully he doesn't F it up like so many of them do.

• Moderators

Sure he doesn't have to be brought back to continue our success. But for all the years we have suffered with finding a GM like him, and then just to write him off for a small mistake like he made (and has more than paid for), I just think for him not to be brought back is completely asinine. Of course they will say it is for basketball reasons but we all know that is not the case. And no, I will not be on 'suicide watch' if this is what ends up happening. But a new GM would never have had a franchise delivered to him on a silver platter like he will with what Danny has setup for him. Hopefully he doesn't F it up like so many of them do.

Sure he doesn't have to be brought back to continue our success. But for all the years we have suffered with finding a GM like him, and then just to write him off for a small mistake like he made (and has more than paid for), I just think for him not to be brought back is completely asinine. Of course they will say it is for basketball reasons but we all know that is not the case. And no, I will not be on 'suicide watch' if this is what ends up happening. But a new GM would never have had a franchise delivered to him on a silver platter like he will with what Danny has setup for him. Hopefully he doesn't F it up like so many of them do.

I hear ya.

But how many times are there ownership changes and not subsequently a GM/leadership change?  Seems pretty inevitable regardless of the 'suspension' or not.  It's not like Ferry is Mitch Kupchek or something.  Despite our success, it is just one year ... so far (we hope).

• Premium Member

Finally someone says it. And I would bet money that it has more to do than just Gearon.

To me, the major tip off that something was definitely up, was during Dominique Statue Week. Nique went waaaay out of his way to praise Bud, giving an almost "you built this" speech to him. Nique didn't even mention Ferry one time, and has never said anything about wanting him back.

Add the fact that Ferry is still in exile and hasn't had his "come to Jesus" moment to bring closure to all of this, it simply make you wonder if this goes much deeper than a reading of a bad scouting report.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing during the speech and I thought him doing that was tacky. And the look on Bud's face indicated to me that he didn't appreciate it. But, when Bud won coach of the year, he made sure he set the record straight by rightly acknowledging Ferry for the opportunity and for believing in him.

On another note, I listen to the Rick and Jamie show on 92.9 from time to time. And quite a few times, they have made the claim that there is other stuff involving Ferry that has yet to become public and that will be the reason why he probably won't be back. They refuse to say what it is.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I hear ya.

But how many times are there ownership changes and not subsequently a GM/leadership change?  Seems pretty inevitable regardless of the 'suspension' or not.  It's not like Ferry is Mitch Kupchek or something.  Despite our success, it is just one year ... so far (we hope).

It is just one year.  It is also the best "one year" that we've ever had.

You don't blow up the leadership of a 60 win ECF team in their first full year together just because you are a new owner.  That is just dumb.

• Premium Member

Retaining Ferry should be top priority for the new ownership group.  If you cant see that as new owners, well then your just ignorant. 

I thought with Grant Hill being the "Face" of the new ownership group that keeping fellow Dukie Ferry would be a given.

• Like 1

Mike Budenholzer's contract should be Priority No. 1 for new Atlanta Hawks ownership

By Kris Willis  @Kris_Willis on Jun 3, 2015, 9:02a 7 

The Atlanta Hawks will soon have new owners and they will have to hit the ground running with several important decisions to make that will shape the franchise's future.

 TWEET (14) SHARE (20) PIN 

Once new ownership is in place for the Atlanta Hawks they are going to have a full plate with many decisions that will have to be made quickly. Obviously the situation surrounding embattled General Manager Danny Ferry will have to be rectified, but they have an equally important situation with head coach Mike Budenholzer.

Next season is the final year of Budenholzer's initial three-year deal that he signed with Atlanta. Reports indicate that his salary is in the neighborhood of $2 million per season. Given his success and the added responsibilities of running basketball operations this season, Budenholzer is due a big raise going forward.

A great example would be the new five-year, $25 million contract given to former Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg by the Chicago Bulls. If Hoiberg is worth $5 million per season, then what is a proven coach like Budenholzer's worth?

The Hawks don't need to wait around to find out. Since arriving in Atlanta, Budenholzer has helped remake the culture surrounding the Hawks. He assembled a high-level coaching staff with a renewed interest in player development. When last summer's controversy forced Ferry away from the team, it was Budenholzer who took over the lead of Basketball operations.

On the court, Budenholzer led the Hawks to 60 wins in 2015 and to the team's first Eastern Conference Finals appearance since moving to Atlanta. In two seasons with Atlanta, he has 98 wins which is the 10th most in franchise history for a coach. His .598 winning percentage is better than anyone who has coached at least 150 games.

Budenholzer's status should be priority No. 1 for the new ownership group. There is no way that the Hawks can afford to let Budenholzer begin the season without a new deal. Teams around the league have taken notice of Atlanta's success and Budenholzer would have no shortage of suitors should he hit the open market at the end of next season.

While the 2015 season ended in disappointing fashion for the Hawks, it can't be understated the amount of progress that the franchise has made in Budenholzer's two seasons on the bench. The momentum is there and the challenge this offseason is to carry that into next season. Nailing down a long term extension with Budenholzer is the first step in doing that.

Questionable drafting coupled with bad free agent signings, no player development of said draft picks, bad coaching and the inability to manage the cap is what can set a team back. So no, drafting is not EVERYTHING but it is important.

Everything you mentioned describes an all around terrible front office/coaching staff. That isn't the topic of discussion nor does it debunk the idea that bad drafting can derail a team. It can. And it's kinda funny you mention player development. If the players drafted to the team have a low ceiling, not much player development can do.

If you can't see how valuable the NBA draft is then I don't know what to tell you. It's the backbone and foundation of most NBA franchises. Especially if the team can't attract big time free agents.   The aspect of rookie contracts alone is something that franchises covet. I really don't know what else to tell you anymore *shrug* .

I completely agree that drafting is important, but it shouldn't be the gold standard by which a GM is measured.  It's better to look at the collective work.

You have a point about collective work but it's no surprise that the best GM's in the league usually aren't terrible or questionable when the draft rolls around.

Not saying Ferry has to hit on every pick. All I'm alluding to is that our overall team would be in a better position talent wise if Ferry had hit on at least one of the those wasted first rounders. Especially since we are getting production from a couple of second rounders.

Off-topic but it sucks that we didn't have a 1st round pick in 2011.  I think we traded that pick for Hinrich maybe?

That has to be the most loaded non-lottery 1st round ever and we didn't have a pick.

#15  Kawhi Leonard

#16  Vucevic

#17  Shumpert

#18  The Wizards selected Chris Singleton with the pick they received from us

#19  Tobias Harris

#20  Motiejunas

#22  Kenneth Faried

#23  Nikola Mirotic

#24  Reggie Jackson

#30  Jimmy Butler

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 1

Off-topic but it sucks that we didn't have a 1st round pick in 2011.  I think we traded that pick for Hinrich maybe?

That has to be the most loaded non-lottery 1st round ever and we didn't have a pick.

#15  Kawhi Leonard

#16  Vucevic

#17  Shumpert

#18  The Wizards selected Chris Singleton with the pick they received from us

#19  Tobias Harris

#20  Motiejunas

#22  Kenneth Faried

#23  Nikola Mirotic

#24  Reggie Jackson

#30  Jimmy Butler

Giannis

• Moderators

Has any team hit on two good players with non-lottery first round draft picks in the past 3-4 years? 

I'm interested to see the list if any one has easy access to it.

Utah jumps to mind:

Rodney Hood - Uta #23

Rudy Gobert - Uta #27

They also flipped Utah #21 - Dieng to Minny in the trade for Trey Burke.

• Like 1

Utah jumps to mind:

Rodney Hood - Uta #23

Rudy Gobert - Uta #27

The best late 1st drafting team in the NBA. They really have drafted well. 

Utah jumps to mind:

Rodney Hood - Uta #23

Rudy Gobert - Uta #27

I loooove what Utah has been doing as of late.  They are going to be a force in 2-3 years.

I loooove what Utah has been doing as of late. They are going to be a force in 2-3 years.

Not if Burke continues shooting 36% from the field. They really could be the Atlanta Hawks west, but Burke is preventing them from doing so.