• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Heart and Soul of the Team.

Diesel

• Moderators

Now Sap's price us $20 mil???

So with this lineup the only returning player at his position is Teague. There is no way we have 3/5 of a new starting lineup, Al to a new position and we h

nave the same or better success as well as that bench. That is an entirely new team.

I knew someone was gonna call me on that typo... I put Sap at $10 mil per year, but did the math in my head before I typed in out.

And I'd argue that there's no way the Hawks win a championship with Korver starting, an undersized front court that doesn't rebound nor defend well, weak bench, and not one player that can create his own shot. This team ball is good for regular season wins, but it takes talent to get to the finals. The current MVP and best player in the NBA are in the finals right now... Don't get me wrong, I love team ball, but even the Spurs had HOF talent and the '04 Pistons had a DPOY, 4 eventual All-Stars, and great defense and rebounding all-around. Ask Darvin Ham about thise Pistons. We won't ever make it to the finals if we don't fix our frontcourt size, defense, and rebounding.

PF is probably the 2nd strongest position in the league right now (next to PG). Sap is going to command 10-12 million on the open market. Although his steals number, effort and shot are all very good, his rebounding numbers are far from high enough to demand max type money.

SF is the 2nd weakest position in the league right now next to SG (which is atrocious).  DC's season numbers equate to 7 million a year.  His playoff numbers raise that to 9-10 million.  So in answering the 3rd or 4th reply to this thread.  No, resigning DC at $10/year does not preclude us from resigning Sap.

What this does do is bring up the debate of AL/Sap vs Monroe/AL or Gasol/AL or (insert center here)/AL.

For all that Paul does, playing Horford undersized at the center position and Millsap undersized at the PF position will be an easy butt whooping for any big team we play again (just look at what Memphis did to us in the regular season or the effect Lopez had in round one).

You cannot honestly begin this discussion without discussing who is expiring at the end of 2016 (trade bait) and who we are drafting.  Expirings for 2016 are Horford (not going anywhere), Scott, Mack, Bazemore, Antić (option this year), and Schröder/Muscala who are both on team options.  Any reasonable scenario for the Hawks upgrading at a position during the season/trading seasons come from trading a package of Scott/Mack/Bazemore/Antić/Schröder and/or Moose.  In 2016 you need to have enough money to resign Horford and fill out your roster.

One last comment on this.  The interesting thing about Korver's (and Thabo's) salary is how cap friendly it becomes. Korver's salary the next two years decreases instead of increases by $500,000 annually making Korver's salary very Hawk and trade friendly. Thabo's decreases by $150,000/year for the next 2 years. So technically, without doing anything, the Hawks artificially are creating $650,000 in extra cap room each of the next 2 seasons.

• Moderators

Demarre would be the first to tell you that he gets open shots mainly because Korver's on the floor.   Demarre is one of my all time favorite Hawks but we shouldn't overstate his offensive abilities.   He's become a great spot up shooter and he can slash but his decision making with the ball is sometimes suspect just like any player who's been primarily a defensive stopper in his career.    He needs to give the ball up on the break more often.   I'm only saying this to point out that Demarre can't be our go to wing on offense, but I agree he is the guy that makes it all work.  Thabo is a good replacement but as we've seen we need both guys.

• Like 2

• Moderators

So, they cant have TWO leaders??????

By the way Ferry and Bud constructed the team, we had 18 leaders... 15 players and a coaching staff. But the way you worded your post, it's like Demarre was THE leader... The Hawks are more than just one guy and letting Demarre be bought by another team for $10 mil won't be an end-all for the Hawks. But I do believe Horford is the leader amongst leaders for the Hawks roster. Al is the closest we have to a "face of the franchise".

• Like 1

• Premium Member

By the way Ferry and Bud constructed the team, we had 18 leaders... 15 players and a coaching staff. But the way you worded your post, it's like Demarre was THE leader... The Hawks are more than just one guy and letting Demarre be bought by another team for $10 mil won't be an end-all for the Hawks. But I do believe Horford is the leader amongst leaders for the Hawks roster. Al is the closest we have to a "face of the franchise".

Face of the franchise and the vocal leader are two different things.  Jordan was always the face of the Bulls, but he was never the vocal leader.   Ask Kobe who was the vocal leader of his Laker teams... Him or DFish?  What I'm saying for all the Bawse we call, in the Lockerroom, according to Teague, it's DMC that get guys together and sets the tone.   Coaches are not the leaders either.  When we have a players only meeting, its not started by coaches.

There is no 'heart and soul' of the team like mentioned above. I'm not sure that's a good thing. I was kind of bothered by the listless effort during the last game of the season. Nobody really stepped up or showed a sense of urgency. I kind of expected a little more passion or pride during the biggest game of the season?

I saw Elton Brand give the players pep talks during the playoffs. I would have expected Horford to be the vocal leader but from what I seen of the starters, they just stood around like a middle school basketball team waiting to see how the coach is going to motivate them.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's hard to know what is being said and who is listening on the bench.   Horford winning the game against the Wiz, dropping the atomic elbow on delavadorka, dmc playing without a knee, Baze standing up to lebron.  These are all things that should have gotten the team motivated and who says it didn't.   Sometimes you lose because the other team is better.   

Carroll said a teammate told him he thought he might get between $8-9 million, but now could get between $14-15 million in free agency after the season he just completed. Carroll will certainly get far more than the bargain two-year, $5 million deal he signed with the Hawks. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, DeMarre Carroll 

“I think I have a lot more to come,” Carroll told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday. “I think I can be an All-Star player, like Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard. I see myself as one of those guys, but in order for me to get to being on the elite level, like Paul George, you have to be consistent. People got a glimpse of it this year. I still feel like there is work to be done. I still feel I can get better on the pick-and-rolls. I’m shooting the ball well, but I feel like I can shoot it even better. I can finish better. I can do the little things to help my teammates.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, DeMarre Carroll 

“A player has few opportunities to hit the free-agent market and get a contract to take care of his family,” said Mark Bartelstein, Carroll’s agent. “However, there are a lot of elements to consider other than pure economics. The Hawks have been sensational with DeMarre’s development in so many ways. They deserve a lot of credit. At the same time, DeMarre’s work ethic and his relentless pursuit of greatness is why he continues to get better every single year, and I know it will just continue. We will weigh everything in making a great decision for DeMarre.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks, Free Agency, Mark Bartelstein, Agents, DeMarre Carroll 

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.FDjgsvW4.dpuf

Carroll said a teammate told him he thought he might get between $8-9 million, but now could get between $14-15 million in free agency after the season he just completed.

Seems like something like this happened a long time ago.  Oh yeah, it was that Koncak fellow.  He had a great playoff series then Detroit made him an offer the Hawks couldn't refuse.  Sorry, you don't give somebody superstar money after one playoff series.

I like DMC, and would like very much for us to keep him, but I would say $8-$9 million a year would be a gracious plenty.