• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Big Question....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Come on Diesel Schröder for Dieng straight up would be a bad deal, and you want to throw in the 15th pick too where you would likely find someone as good or better than Dieng? I don't mind trading him, but let's get proper compensation. I really like Dieng, but his upside is not in the same stratosphere as Dennis's

Dieng = 7 foot shot blocker who rebounds at a clip of 8.3 rpg and 10 ppg in less than 25 mpg.    This dude is what we need to add to our frontcourt.   15 in a weak draft... ok... if they would do a Dennis for Dieng straight up, we shouldn't hesitate. 

• Premium Member

Exactly. Schröder's upside is higher than Dieng's from a player to player comparison. He has the ability to be a starter. You can't say that about Dieng. Then when you throw in the 15th pick and the trade gets even worse. Just terrible.

It's questionable.   Usually, you don't trade Bigs for smalls.   Period.   Bigs may take longer to develop but when they do develop, you can win championships with Bigs. Schröder is not Curry.   He's more like Terrell Brandon that is less team oriented.  Dieng's potential is higher than Schröder's.  You don't find many athletic shot blockers any more.  Think about the importance of a Serge Ibaka or a DeAndre Jordan... then get back to me on your comparison.

That's a dumb plan.   First off, Dennis is never going to reach Teague's level in our offense.   The things that Dennis does wrong has nothing to do with ability, it has everything to do with mentality.   You can see it in his game that he doesn't want to run the offense.  When you have 4 guys who have given up all their individual quests for recognition to be a part of a team offense and have been successful and you match them with a glory hound... it's a bad mix.

Dennis would do better in an offense where he could showboat.  Let's send him to Minny with the #15 pick for  Deing.

He'd be perfect to compete with Rubio.

And this kind of reasoning is why I find you to be the resident clown.  There isn't a single sane person who thinks Dennis won't be better than Teague.  He's 6 years younger and came over from Europe (ie. not raised playing American ball).  He's raw, dude.  Improvement from year 1 to year 2 was REMARKABLE.  And, you can bet your a$$ that Teague won't be on our team after his contract expires if not sooner.

So trade Teague to Keep Millsap and DMC...Where do i start??? For years we have been seaching for a point guard and we finally have one and now so want him traded even though he is arguably the most important player on the team.  Futhermore, the players you prefer are older, maybe past their prime and easily replaceable.  Wow!

No, we finally have two.  One will have to go.  And it will be Teague.  MARK IT.

• Premium Member

And this kind of reasoning is why I find you to be the resident clown.  There isn't a single sane person who thinks Dennis won't be better than Teague.  He's 6 years younger and came over from Europe (ie. not raised playing American ball).  He's raw, dude.  Improvement from year 1 to year 2 was REMARKABLE.  And, you can bet your a$$ that Teague won't be on our team after his contract expires if not sooner.

Clown?  If you ever had anything relevant to contribute to Hawksquawk, I would be offended.  Unfortunately, your posts are like the dirt in the carpet of Hawksquawk.  You see them and you just want to get it out of the way.

However, simple thought here...  Where do you think the Hawks window for championship play is?  Pulling a Marvin Williams waiting move for Dennis because he's "so young" or getting a 7 footer who can fill our need for an athletic shot blocker/rebounder now.  We just played in the ECF.  And you want to put on the 6 year wait plan?  And  a few others want to get rid of our Allstar PG?  Here's my you can bet your ass statement.  You can bet your ass that Dennis never makes it to being an allstar.

Y'all Teague haters will never go away! 

I'm glad that the Teague Haters only reside on Hawksquawk and have no say in the front offense. 

It's questionable.   Usually, you don't trade Bigs for smalls.   Period.   Bigs may take longer to develop but when they do develop, you can win championships with Bigs. Schröder is not Curry.   He's more like Terrell Brandon that is less team oriented.  Dieng's potential is higher than Schröder's.  You don't find many athletic shot blockers any more.  Think about the importance of a Serge Ibaka or a DeAndre Jordan... then get back to me on your comparison.

If you remember how terrible Dennis was in his rookie year, the idea of trading him makes no sense at all. Dude was a turnover machine. He improved dramatically in one off season. One of the reasons why our bench was so good was because Dennis was able to come in and keep the offensive production steady. We wasn't blowing leads because Teague stepped off the court. It just seems like you are letting his bad playoff run cloud your judgement. A lot went wrong in the post season if you want to be real.

We aren't a big away from winning a title. That is the only reason why you'd even entertain trading Dennis for a guy like Dieng. GS is a better rebounding team and they still got destroyed on the glass be Cleveland. And how on earth do you know Dieng is going to be as good as Ibaka or Jordan? They're some of the best defensive bigs in the league. Come on bruh.

• Premium Member

If you remember how terrible Dennis was in his rookie year, the idea of trading him makes no sense at all. Dude was a turnover machine. He improved dramatically in one off season. One of the reasons why our bench was so good was because Dennis was able to come in and keep the offensive production steady. We wasn't blowing leads because Teague stepped off the court. It just seems like you are letting his bad playoff run cloud your judgement. A lot went wrong in the post season if you want to be real.

We aren't a big away from winning a title. That is the only reason why you'd even entertain trading Dennis for a guy like Dieng. GS is a better rebounding team and they still got destroyed on the glass be Cleveland. And how on earth do you know Dieng is going to be as good as Ibaka or Jordan? They're some of the best defensive bigs in the league. Come o

Like I said before.   It's not Dennis Skills, it's his attitude.  He wants to be the main attraction.   That doesn't fit with how we play.   We could wait on him to become the next Stevie Franchise or we could try to plug up our weaknesses.  We tend to look at guy like Serge Ibaka and wish that we had one.  I'm saying that if you have a guy on that trajectory, it's rare that they are traded.   OKC moved Harden in order to keep Ibaka... and right now, if everybody on their team is healthy, they have a shot to win it all. 

Back to Dennis, it's not hard to see that he doesn't play team ball.  He uses our team ball movement to get his shot.  I truly believe that during the playoffs, Sap refused to pass to him and what Dennis was doing on the court got him benched for Game 3. We are too much of a team to dish our dirt but body language speaks volumes.  Those who want Dennis here will have to say goodbye to everything that we currently have... including Bud if you want him to be successful.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

All the years of us not having a starting caliber PG and now that we have two we can't wait to trade one away lol

Gotta love being a Hawks fan.

We actually have 2.5.  I consider Mack a very good backup in this league.  If I believed that Shelvin could get us Dieng, that would be the trade and that would be that.

• Moderators

There is no way you trade the #15 pick for an utterly inconsequential player like Mason Plumlee.  Where would the Spurs be if they had given away their #1 pick they used on Tony Parker or had stuck with a so-so vet like George Hill instead of taking Leonard?

You may miss with this pick but it is your best chance to get a cheap cornerstone player to add to the group.  You don't trade it away unless you think you are getting something to build around.

As an aside, think Cleveland doesn't wish they could take back their "let's make Bron happy and trade our pick for a stud vet in Kevin Love!" trade?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There is no way you trade the #15 pick for an utterly inconsequential player like Mason Plumlee.  Where would the Spurs be if they had given away their #1 pick they used on Tony Parker or had stuck with a so-so vet like George Hill instead of taking Leonard?

You may miss with this pick but it is your best chance to get a cheap cornerstone player to add to the group.  You don't trade it away unless you think you are getting something to build around.

As an aside, think Cleveland doesn't wish they could take back their "let's make Bron happy and trade our pick for a stud vet in Kevin Love!" trade?

I'm with you on the Wiggins trade.  And the Leonard trade as well.

However, this year. At 15.  Do you see any franchise cornerstones?    For every Kawhi, you have three Bebe's and one Payne.

I don't know how I feel about Plumlee.  To me, he's more of a known quantity than one of these guys we can draft.   Plumlee is going to go out and rebound the ball and get some scores.  However, he's just an example.  There are other players who can speak to our need better than he.  My point is that our window is short.  A good young player on a cheap contract may be better in the immediate future than some guy who may turn out to be something 5 years from now.

• Moderators

I'm with you on the Wiggins trade.  And the Leonard trade as well.

However, this year. At 15.  Do you see any franchise cornerstones?    For every Kawhi, you have three Bebe's and one Payne.

I don't know how I feel about Plumlee.  To me, he's more of a known quantity than one of these guys we can draft.   Plumlee is going to go out and rebound the ball and get some scores.  However, he's just an example.  There are other players who can speak to our need better than he.  My point is that our window is short.  A good young player on a cheap contract may be better in the immediate future than some guy who may turn out to be something 5 years from now.

I look back the last few years and see:

13 Kelly Olynuk

14 Shabazz Muhammad

15 Greak Freak

17 Dennis Schröder

13 Zach Lavine

14 TJ Warren

16 Jusuf Nurkic

17 James Young

That convinces me to take a shot at it.

• Like 1

Laettner in college, 6-11, 235lbs

16.6 ppg, 57% FG%, 48.5% 3pt %. 7.8rpg, 1.8APG

Kaminsky, senior season, 7-1, 242lbs

18.8 ppg, 54.7% FG%, 41.6% 3pt%, 8.2 RPG, 2.6 APG

Laettner played on a better team and benefitted in many ways. Kaminsky has a much softer touch and better post game but is a better stretch 4 than most. He boxes out very well but is too light to be a great rebounder. If Kaminsky adds 20 lbs...he'll be dominant.

If Frank can be a bigger Laettner I have no complaints with his selection.. That boy Laettner was solid in the pros and was nice with the Hawks..He complimented Deke well..that team with Mookie Smitty Deke Laettner was solid..Ty Corbin was the weak link and Lenny didnt have no plays and we ran into Jordan nem.. But back to the subject, the only thing about Kaminsky is that he is just too similar to Moose..but if they gobble all the guards we got to take the best player available..

Like I said before.   It's not Dennis Skills, it's his attitude.  He wants to be the main attraction.   That doesn't fit with how we play.   We could wait on him to become the next Stevie Franchise or we could try to plug up our weaknesses.  We tend to look at guy like Serge Ibaka and wish that we had one.  I'm saying that if you have a guy on that trajectory, it's rare that they are traded.   OKC moved Harden in order to keep Ibaka... and right now, if everybody on their team is healthy, they have a shot to win it all. 

Back to Dennis, it's not hard to see that he doesn't play team ball.  He uses our team ball movement to get his shot.  I truly believe that during the playoffs, Sap refused to pass to him and what Dennis was doing on the court got him benched for Game 3. We are too much of a team to dish our dirt but body language speaks volumes.  Those who want Dennis here will have to say goodbye to everything that we currently have... including Bud if you want him to be successful.

All the more reason to trade Dennis move up and get a potential star like Winslow or Mario.Dennis will get better but not sure if he can be a pass ball first type of point guard needed for the offense. I don't see that in his game. He looks to drive more than setting up teammates for shots. I would put money on Winslow or Mario being a star more than Dennis which is why I trade up.

All the more reason to trade Dennis move up and get a potential star like Winslow or Mario.Dennis will get better but not sure if he can be a pass ball first type of point guard needed for the offense. I don't see that in his game. He looks to drive more than setting up teammates for shots. I would put money on Winslow or Mario being a star more than Dennis which is why I trade up.

That's exactly what Tony Parker was. Over the last few years is when he's actually improved his passing skills.

Some here said Dennis wasn't an NBA player last season. The improvement in his game from last season to this was very noticeable. There is no reason to think he won't get better. Dennis' problem is he wants to make a flashy pass instead of a basic pass.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

That's exactly what Tony Parker was. Over the last few years is when he's actually improved his passing skills.

Some here said Dennis wasn't an NBA player last season. The improvement in his game from last season to this was very noticeable. There is no reason to think he won't get better. Dennis' problem is he wants to make a flashy pass instead of a basic pass.

Well, when he was benched in the playoffs, we counted 6 times down the court that he didn't make any passes.   Sure he will get better skillwise but that's like saying that Kobe will stop ball hogging.  When you take Kobe, you realize that he will dominate the ball.  Dennis will never stop trying to be the show and he will always place the offense second to his shine.

Now, Tony Parker always played within the spurs offense.  Weather it was dribble penetration or passing off to somebody else and being a decoy.  That doesn't pop into Dennis' mind. I'm sure his skills will increase.  He probably will get better at finishing and hitting the outside shot, but his game will cause an offense like ours to diminish.

• Premium Member

Well, when he was benched in the playoffs, we counted 6 times down the court that he didn't make any passes. Sure he will get better skillwise but that's like saying that Kobe will stop ball hogging. When you take Kobe, you realize that he will dominate the ball. Dennis will never stop trying to be the show and he will always place the offense second to his shine.

Now, Tony Parker always played within the spurs offense. Weather it was dribble penetration or passing off to somebody else and being a decoy. That doesn't pop into Dennis' mind. I'm sure his skills will increase. He probably will get better at finishing and hitting the outside shot, but his game will cause an offense like ours to diminish.

Everything that you stated above maybe true but no one in their right mind would trade him plus the 15th pick in this year's draft for a back up player.
  • Like 1