• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks plan to promote Mike Budenholzer, Wes Wilcox; part ways with Danny Ferry.

pimp

• Premium Member

Ferry made comments that most normal folks would take as at least semi-racist. "Got a little African in him"...he phucked up and now he is gone...Ce este la vie.

Bottom line is the new ownership didn't want the baggagge that Ferry would bring.  Weather it's the infighting with the other owners or the backlash from the community.  It's Bud's show now and I'm sure that Bud will continue the good work.

I am pretty pissed about the Ferry move to be honest. Maybe he was a jerk but the guy who brought this much success to this treadmilling franchise deserves a lot of credit. Dumping the JJ contract, moving Marvin, not resigning Josh, bringing in Bud, Sap, DMC, etc... He also represented a step out from the dysfunctional ownership group in that he was a singular decision making person who focused on building the right culture and chemistry. Someone that did that much for this franchise in such a short amount of time should be given a medal and not a kick in the pants. And all over something that was clearly a mistake, not his own words, was going to have little if any real negative effects, and from someone who is well respected around the league and a `first offender' just really ticks me off, especially since it represents giving in to the PC police over an incredibly mild offense. Especially since all local polling (AJC poll and 929 poll) showed that well over 90% of the people in Atlanta wanted Ferry to get another shot. And since this franchise has really needed someone like him for the past two decades (at least) the people most likely to suffer are the fans who have no idea what they're going to get now. A simple memo from the new owners saying that Danny has been severely punished and forgiven and will resume his post would have let this all blow over in a few days and we'd be back to building. Now we're in for who knows what and our Architect is gone. Just seems to be begging for the interference of the well documented Atlanta Curse. Get people interested in the team success, then knock them back into the crapper. Danny didn't deserve this, Atlanta didn't deserve this. Bad call.

Agree 100%. Im really regretting buying seasom tickets for next year now. This shit franchise wouldn't know a good thing if it slapped them in the face. Good news for hawksquawk, I will likely have tickets available for prices lower than ticketmaster for each of the home games.

• Like 2

Agree 100%. Im really regretting buying seasom tickets for next year now. This shit franchise wouldn't know a good thing if it slapped them in the face. Good news for hawksquawk, I will likely have tickets available for prices lower than ticketmaster for each of the home games.

Fret not my friend.  I'm sure you're a Hawks fan not a Ferry fan, right?

As much as folks want to tie our success exclusively to Ferry's divine presence, we have to remember that he's not the only GM with a 'plan' or a 'vision'.  At the end of the day this current group likely reached it's ceiling this season so let's not pretend there wasn't work to be done despite our successful season.  Is Ferry the only one who can take the team to the next level?  I don't think so.  It's not like he has a championship track record or anything.

New ownership usually means new leadership in the front office so this change shouldn't be surprising or jarring.  It also isn't an indication that the new owners are clueless or are siding with Gearon and his minions or w/e.

All in all, I think we'll be fine.  No need to jump off the bandwagon.

Fret not my friend. I'm sure you're a Hawks fan not a Ferry fan, right?

As much as folks want to tie our success exclusively to Ferry's divine presence, we have to remember that he's not the only GM with a 'plan' or a 'vision'. At the end of the day this current group likely reached it's ceiling this season so let's not pretend there wasn't work to be done despite our successful season. Is Ferry the only one who can take the team to the next level? I don't think so. It's not like he has a championship track record or anything.

New ownership usually means new leadership in the front office so this change shouldn't be surprising or jarring. It also isn't an indication that the new owners are clueless or are siding with Gearon and his minions or w/e.

All in all, I think we'll be fine. No need to jump off the bandwagon.

I am a Hawks fan but I am also a human that highly values loyalty. I am loyal, to a fault, in real life and what this shit franchise has done to the man who single handedly turned this franchise around is unacceptable in my opinion. Yes, I am upset because I think the Hawks potential of winning took a step back with this move but I am far more upset at the amount of disloyalty shown. Ferry turned this franchise around and he deserved to see his vision through.

I will continue to root for the Hawks and watch them but I'm not eager to support them with money any longer.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I doubt any organization will touch Ferry for a longtime. Hawks fans are seriously over valuing this guy.

Not surprising that Hawks fans value Ferry after years of Marvin Williams and Salin Stoudemire type players and treadmill basketball. Ferry came in and got shit done. We wouldn't have Korver, Schröder, Carroll, Sap, Coach Bud, or the second round gems he's gotten us.

I truly am afraid of Bud having more power than being head coach. He's too close to the players to be unbiased in basketball operational decisions. Hopefully Wilcox will be more than a sock puppet.

• Premium Member

I am a Hawks fan but I am also a human that highly values loyalty. I am loyal, to a fault, in real life and what this shit franchise has done to the man who single handedly turned this franchise around is unacceptable in my opinion. Yes, I am upset because I think the Hawks potential of winning took a step back with this move but I am far more upset at the amount of disloyalty shown. Ferry turned this franchise around and he deserved to see his vision through.

I will continue to root for the Hawks and watch them but I'm not eager to support them with money any longer.

Before you blame the franchise, check this out..

Usually, when new owners take over a team, the old regime is removed.  Completely.  How is this any different?  When ASG took over, wasn't it goodbye Babcock?

I'm actually glad that they decided to keep Bud?  They didn't have to do that. 

You may love Ferry, but Ferry made a mistake that he could've been fired from last year.  I'm not talking about the African comment, but I'm talking about the minor insubordination.  I couldn't have an employer working for me that didn't talk to me about the business.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like Gearon one Iota, however, I can't say that Ferry is innocent in his own demise.  IF I'm a new owner coming in and I see such shenanigans going on, Im making a change too.  The new owners had nothing to be loyal to.  IN fact, they were very gracious in keeping Bud and promoting him.  Ferry can go somewhere else and share his genius, but to me I view it like the Thibideau firing..  If you're not making peace in the organization, your genius is not going to save you.

Usually, when new owners take over a team, the old regime is removed.  Completely.  How is this any different?  When ASG took over, wasn't it goodbye Babcock?

You may love Ferry, but Ferry made a mistake that he could've been fired from last year.  I'm not talking about the African comment, but I'm talking about the minor insubordination.  I couldn't have an employer working for me that didn't talk to me about the business.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like Gearon one Iota, however, I can't say that Ferry is innocent in his own demise.  IF I'm a new owner coming in and I see such shenanigans going on, Im making a change too.  The new owners had nothing to be loyal to.  IN fact, they were very gracious in keeping Bud and promoting him.  Ferry can go somewhere else and share his genius, but to me I view it like the Thibideau firing..  If you're not making peace in the organization, your genius is not going to save you.

Herein you again display a warped sense of logic.  They aren't bringing in anyone new.  Heady false equivalency, brah.

Edited by bumpyphish1

"Single-handedly" is a bit strong and in reality this past year could be the exception. We're way too early into this to speak as if we're some dynasty or something.

Pretty much this.

@kg01 how is it a bit strong? There is no bud without ferry and joe and his albatross contract would likely still be here. There is no record breaking viewership and attendance without record breaking winning and that doesn't happen without ferry.

I would say that the past and future owners owe their ass to ferry for turning this franchise around.

@kg01 how is it a bit strong? There is no bud without ferry and joe and his albatross contract would likely still be here. There is no record breaking viewership and attendance without record breaking winning and that doesn't happen without ferry.

I would say that the past and future owners owe their ass to ferry for turning this franchise around.

It could be said that without Gearon there is no Levenson, without Levenson there is no Ferry ...

We can't think that without Budz, Ferry, etc. we CANNOT succeed. I'm happy to have Budz, but I'm not prepared to say he walks on water or that he and he alone can lead us to the top.

Joe being dealt wasn't some act of genius by Ferry. It was a bad trade by the Nets from which we benefitted.

They don't owe Ferry anything. If we were a championship team you have an argument, but we aren't. We're further along the road for sure, but there are competent GMs who can help us get further. Ferry doesn't have the market cornered.

I am a Hawks fan but I am also a human that highly values loyalty. I am loyal, to a fault, in real life and what this shit franchise has done to the man who single handedly turned this franchise around is unacceptable in my opinion. 

Single handedly? When did Ferry start coaching games?

You could argue Bud has been even more successful without Ferry around and with more control (Won COY this year without Ferry).

• Like 1

tbh ferry couldve just omitted the word as he was reading.

Exactly G-Kidd...I mean, honestly. I don't even know what having a "little African in him" means?

I mean some of the best players over the last few decades were actual Africans...and some were Europeans...and a few from Canada, Australia, Dominican Republic, etc.

It came across as assigning a negative aspect to the African player in general - stereotyping - (selfish, lazy, un-coachable?...I dunno)

Obviously it wasn't a compliment.  Why not just say something like "we don't feel he will play within our system"?

,,,a comment like that is a "tell" (as they say in poker)...and the "tell" in this case means he had to go.

• Like 2

So if Ferry did nothing wrong, why didn't he fight harder for his job? Remember folks, this was a self imposed exile, not a suspension by the team or the league.

If you're so innocent, why not fight? I'll tell you why. Because he lacks humility, a trait that A-Holes do not posses.

The humility to come out in public, say he was wrong, and get the entire franchise over all of this as quickly as possible.

Instead of facing the music and defending himself, or letting everyone see that he was truly sorry, he goes into hiding. A-Holes do not like to be publicly humiliated or admit in front of the world that they were wrong.

And despite the law firm not finding anything on record inappropriate, he may have had conversations with others within the organization that could be seen as inappropriate. And those people may not have told on Ferry, to save their own butts.

Most of all, Ferry thinks he's the smartest in the room. So if a reporter would've asked him ..."What made you read that report about Deng to your owners, and why didn't you just say that Deng is viewed as being deceptive" .. it would've forced the "smart guy" to admit on air that he did something incredibly unprofessional and stupid.

He didn't fight for his job, and no one in that organization truly fought to bring him back. There has to be a reason for that.

People are usually judged by their job performance AND by the content of their character. If flaws come about in any if these areas, the people who employ you may lose confidence in your overall abilities. And if these people simply don't like you and your personna, that may spell major trouble.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Exactly. Where all these new people that you speak of. Its all bullshit

I said, that were gracious in keeping as much of the old regime as they did...  Maybe some of you are new to the NBA but usually, when a new owner comes in, they clean house.   These owners saw our winning system and they were gracious to let most of it continue. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Too much is made of the Joe trade.  Any GM can do a firesale.  Especially of a Allstar talent.

The best moves that Ferry made were:  Hiring Bud, Not resigning Smoove, and picking up Sap and DMC.  He had his share of dumb moves too like trading first rounders for NOTHING.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So if Ferry did nothing wrong, why didn't he fight harder for his job? Remember folks, this was a self imposed exile, not a suspension by the team or the league.

If you're so innocent, why not fight? I'll tell you why. Because he lacks humility, a trait that A-Holes do not posses.

The humility to come out in public, say he was wrong, and get the entire franchise over all of this as quickly as possible.

Instead of facing the music and defending himself, or letting everyone see that he was truly sorry, he goes into hiding. A-Holes do not like to be publicly humiliated or admit in front of the world that they were wrong.

And despite the law firm not finding anything on record inappropriate, he may have had conversations with others within the organization that could be seen as inappropriate. And those people may not have told on Ferry, to save their own butts.

Most of all, Ferry thinks he's the smartest in the room. So if a reporter would've asked him ..."What made you read that report about Deng to your owners, and why didn't you just say that Deng is viewed as being deceptive" .. it would've forced the "smart guy" to admit on air that he did something incredibly unprofessional and stupid.

He didn't fight for his job, and no one in that organization truly fought to bring him back. There has to be a reason for that.

People are usually judged by their job performance AND by the content of their character. If flaws come about in any if these areas, the people who employ you may lose confidence in your overall abilities. And if these people simply don't like you and your personna, that may spell major trouble.

The other part.  The tape exposed him talking about other FAs.. not just Deng.  And even though not racial, they were very damning towards some of the better players in the NBA.  I get the feeling that after that tape got out, there were some who could say that Ferry was this way in person but that way behind closed doors and he's not a guy you can trust.  That's OK if he didn't have to deal with players one on one, but it's terrible if you're a GM.

The other part. The tape exposed him talking about other FAs.. not just Deng. And even though not racial, they were very damning towards some of the better players in the NBA. I get the feeling that after that tape got out, there were some who could say that Ferry was this way in person but that way behind closed doors and he's not a guy you can trust. That's OK if he didn't have to deal with players one on one, but it's terrible if you're a GM.

Do you think other GM's do not tear apart players as they evaluate? Do you seriously think its all damn rainbows and puppy dogs? I am pretty sure every GM will point out character flaws and physical questions to every player they may look at signing. Its their job

Do you think that maybe he was just tired of the clown circus that was ASG? Ferry may well be an arrogant douche bag but I am sure that even assholes have an intake limit and maybe Ferry's tank was full. You all speak as if we are sure the man wanted to come back , but the reality is he may have said FCK ATL

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/investigation-finds-no-evidence-bias-ferry-231647653--nba.html  When the people you work for dont have the courage to stand up for you why would you want to come back ?? This was a fear based decision  NOT to back up Ferry ,  little too late  for the Hawks that just lost the guy that turned this team around and gave us credibility  even though we had the worst ownership in the NBA.

• Like 1