• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

I'm not yet convinced. And it's not because I don't want to be.

I think if I'm Budcox, I'm trying to be as objective as possible about who I can develop... watching ALL of the games to see what the field of wings looks like...

Just saw Schuhmann comment in the Twitter feed, for instance, that the Pistons would have to waive 2 guaranteed contracts for their 2nd rounder (38th pick) wing, Darrun Hilliard, to get a roster spot. Not advocating that player, but just saying there could be similar circumstances around the league with a few teams, and just need to be aware of all of the possibilities.

Well sh!t...killjoy.

Sure we will have to trust in the professional talent evaluators (since we finally have a few).

If it were me, I would go with GR3.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

Please don't let grob3 make it out of here without a contract with us

Well the thing is - he's 6-7, 222, and seems to me to be more like an (slightly undersized) PF than a SF. There have been a good many quality PFs at his size - heck he is 1 inch shorter than Sap. But in Bud's system we seem to have "bigs-wings-guards" and the wings have to be able to shoot.

I really do hope we keep him though. Heck, that kind of athleticism is great to have...especially if he is coachable which I'm sure he is.

So is the deal with GR3 that he just can't shoot (BBIQ?)...6-7, 222 with a 41 inch vertical and able to do a 360 sounds pretty impressive to me.

I guess what I'm saying is - why isn't he on a team already?

That is a really easy answer. He has played on 2 teams that are both A) heavily invested in other young talent and B) notoriously bad at player development (Philly and Minnesota).

See Link http://sports.yahoo.com/news/timberwolves-waive-forward-robinson-claim-center-hamilton-233031769--nba.html

Robinson was a second-round draft pick this season. But he played only sparingly while being caught in a log jam on the wing behind Andrew Wiggins, Kevin Martin, Shabazz Muhammad, Gary Neal and Chase Budinger.

Complicating matters, last year in Philly he had a very Josh Smith like year shooting 41.9% FG%, 30.8% 3PT% and 50% FT%. Although extremely talented, he has relied on athleticism to this point and needs to become a gym rat working on his shooting/footwork and positioning. He has been on teams in Minny and Philly who don't have the minutes or patience for a 2 year development plan.  However, if he came in here and worked on his game like DMC, the sky is the limit for this kid.

• Like 2

Well the thing is - he's 6-7, 222, and seems to me to be more like an (slightly undersized) PF than a SF. There have been a good many quality PFs at his size - heck he is 1 inch shorter than Sap. But in Bud's system we seem to have "bigs-wings-guards" and the wings have to be able to shoot.

I really do hope we keep him though. Heck, that kind of athleticism is great to have...especially if he is coachable which I'm sure he is.

Ermm, he's a prototype SF size. DMC didn't have much of a shot when we got him either. A broken shot can be fixed. That size and athleticism can't be taught though. If we can't trade for someone better, I'm fine with adding Robinson after a training camp invite.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

That is a really easy answer. He has played on 2 teams that are both A) heavily invested in other young talent and B) notoriously bad at player development (Philly and Minnesota).

See Link http://sports.yahoo.com/news/timberwolves-waive-forward-robinson-claim-center-hamilton-233031769--nba.html

Complicating matters, last year in Philly he had a very Josh Smith like year shooting 41.9% FG%, 30.8% 3PT% and 50% FT%. Although extremely talented, he has relied on athleticism to this point and needs to become a gym rat working on his shooting/footwork and positioning. He has been on teams in Minny and Philly who don't have the minutes or patience for a 2 year development plan.  However, if he came in here and worked on his game like DMC, the sky is the limit for this kid.

His best trait at this stage is his off ball movement. You can't use either of those with those two teams. I like his defensive potential and athletic ability.

I tend to agree Random...a bit...but really it's a "tweener size" IMO - at least for Bud's system.

Still I really think he's a guy that deserves a chance. I like his athleticism.

No idea where you are getting this "tweener" size from. He's not. Carroll was 6'8" 215 to 220. Robinson is the perfect size for a SF. He's too small to play in the frontcourt. People try to say Millsap is too small at 6'8" 250.

Edited by RandomFan

Speaking of which, Kent Bazemore would be the perfect mentor for GR3, with GR3 having a higher ceiling.

Bazemore is far more athletic than Robinson. But I like both. There is only one player on our roster that might be as athletic as Bazemore, and that's Schröder. 

Speaking of which, Kent Bazemore would be the perfect mentor for GR3, with GR3 having a higher ceiling.

There not all too similar. Bazemore is better at scoring, creating his offense and his personality is a spark plug. He's a SG and he's not good at playing off the ball and he's a high usage player. Robinson is Iggy lite with elite off ball movement and a low usage player. He's kinda like DMC as well.

Edited by NBASupes

Bazemore is far more athletic than Robinson. But I like both. There is only one player on our roster that might be as athletic as Bazemore, and that's Schröder. 

Not sure about that. I think Robinson has better agility, strength and thinks the game faster. Bazemore is faster and quicker. Both got hops but Robinson has crazy hops.

• Like 1

Not sure about that. I think Robinson has better agility, strength and thinks the game faster. Bazemore is faster and quicker. Both got hops but Robinson has crazy hops.

And that is why you continually underestimate and underrate Bazemore. There is zero question that Bazemore or Schröder is the most explosize athlete on this team.

• Premium Member

I'm not yet convinced. And it's not because I don't want to be.

I think if I'm Budcox, I'm trying to be as objective as possible about who I can develop... watching ALL of the games to see what the field of wings looks like...

Just saw Schuhmann comment in the Twitter feed, for instance, that the Pistons would have to waive 2 guaranteed contracts for their 2nd rounder (38th pick) wing, Darrun Hilliard, to get a roster spot. Not advocating that player, but just saying there could be similar circumstances around the league with a few teams, and just need to be aware of all of the possibilities.

To wit...

2015-07-13_2321.png

...yes, THAT Quincy Miller.

Edited by sturt
  • Like 1

And that is why you continually underestimate and underrate Bazemore. There is zero question that Bazemore or Schröder is the most explosize athlete on this team.

There is also no question that they are "Turnover Machines"...Dennis throws passes at the last second into "bigs" feet/ankles. Baze's handles and control are not very good.

I would not be surprised if after video analysis both of them are under scrutiny for playing time from the Budster.

Lets put it this way - Dennis was a F'up in the playoffs. Bud didn't bring in Splitter to get last second passes thrown at his ankles.

Dennis needs work or he is out of here.

Everyone knows Dennis needs work, rightfully so seeing as how he just finished his 2nd year. To think otherwise, or to expect otherwise, would be terribly foolish. That being said, to suggest Dennis is close to being "out of here" is ridiculous. 

Regarding Bazemore, he averaged 2 turnovers per 36 minutes. Not exactly what I'd call turnover prone. I think you're wrong about his handles. He simply is another young player that still needs to keep working on playing under control; which he showed growth in last year with us - and should continue to do so.

But more to the point, how do you go from watching a conversation about a players athletic potential, to criticizing ball skills as some sort of counter argument? Those have nothing to do with athleticism; those are skills.