• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

Bazemore is far more athletic than Robinson. But I like both. There is only one player on our roster that might be as athletic as Bazemore, and that's Schröder. 

Uhm....I have no idea where you get that Bazemore is "far more athletic" nor do I understand that I pay Bazemore the compliment that his game/nba path makes him a good mentor for GR3 and you seem to think I've not paid Baze his due....saying someone should mentor someone is a huge compliment.

And that is why you continually underestimate and underrate Bazemore. There is zero question that Bazemore or Schröder is the most explosize athlete on this team.

Jeff Teague might have something to say about that. I really have yet to find another point guard that can stay in front of a healthy Teague. 

There not all too similar. Bazemore is better at scoring, creating his offense and his personality is a spark plug. He's a SG and he's not good at playing off the ball and he's a high usage player. Robinson is Iggy lite with elite off ball movement and a low usage player. He's kinda like DMC as well.

Let's see Bazemore. 6'5" 205 GF/SF, 26, came into the league on his defense and is building a better offensive game. Shot poorly in his first 2 seasons with GS but went to a better fit in the Lakers and up'd his FG% to 45%. Built his game on hustle.

GR3.  6'6" 222, SF, 21. came into the league on his defense. Needs to build a better rounded offensive game and improve his shot. Shot poorly in his first 2 seasons but looks to have a better fit in Atlanta. Will make the roster based on hustle.  Nope, not similar at all.

One last thought. GR3 is ambidextrous.

• Like 1

To wit...

2015-07-13_2321.png

...yes, THAT Quincy Miller.

I think Quincy was a great option when we had the likes of Jerrel Eddie and Austin Daye as options. With GR III and Petteway. Miller simply doesn't move the needle for me. 

• Premium Member

Not saying he necessarily should... though then, again, I could see how it might for some... but saying that there will continue to be opportunities arise, and that it demands some critical thinking before latching on and making a commitment to any one player.

Not saying he necessarily should... though then, again, I could see how it might for some... but saying that there will continue to be opportunities arise, and that it demands some critical thinking before latching on and making a commitment to any one player.

On a serious note, Marc Stein is reporting that Brooklyn wants to keep him and cut Cory Jefferson. 

• Premium Member

On a serious note, Marc Stein is reporting that Brooklyn wants to keep him and cut Cory Jefferson. 

Now c'mon.

Didn't I just say that, regardless of this particular player (who incidentally, many will recall received about the same kind of reception when he became available shortly after the ASG break)... that the larger point is that "there will continue to be opportunities arise, and that it demands some critical thinking before latching on and making a commitment to any one player."

Yes, the record shows I, in fact, did.

• Moderators

Now c'mon.

Didn't I just say that, regardless of this particular player (who incidentally, many will recall received about the same kind of reception when he became available shortly after the ASG break)... that the larger point is that "there will continue to be opportunities arise, and that it demands some critical thinking before latching on and making a commitment to any one player."

Yes, the record shows I, in fact, did.

I wouldn't ignore that possibility at all.  I would just temper it with the fact that the wing positions seem to be the shallowest in the league right now.  That makes them arguably the least likely to produce a windfall from someone being cut.

From all I have read about GR III, it sounds like he is someone we could really use, mostly because of his defensive play (who'd a thunk it, knowing who his dad is).  GR III sounds like he might be the proverbial "diamond in the rough" that could pay big dividends for us.  Maybe GR III and Holiday could fill in for Thabo, if he is unable to play at the beginning of the season, or it is determined that his minutes should be diminished.  In the same way, Hardaway could fill in for Korver (hopefully his defensive skills will improve).

I just wonder if perhaps we jumped the gun in acquiring Hardaway, as GR III and Holiday seem to be better defenders.  Do you think we have room for all those 6'5" - 6'7" guys on the team? 

Edited by Watchman

But he's not really a PF though. He plays like a SF that happens to be tall.

Classic tweener just like Daye and Perry Jones.  Too frail to guard 4s and too slow to guard wings.  He may "play" like a 3 but PF is typically where guys like this are less of a liability.

• Premium Member

From all I have read about GR III, it sounds like he is someone we could really use, mostly because of his defensive play (who'd a thunk it, knowing who his dad is).  GR III sounds like he might be the proverbial "diamond in the rough" that could pay big dividends for us.  Maybe GR III and Holiday could fill in for Thabo, if he is unable to play at the beginning of the season, or it is determined that his minutes should be diminished.  In the same way, Hardaway could fill in for Korver (hopefully his defensive skills will improve).

I just wonder if perhaps we jumped the gun in acquiring Hardaway, as GR III and Holiday seem to be better defenders.  Do you think we have room for all those 6'5" - 6'7" guys on the team? 

If you possibly can, WATCH GRob3. Reading is good, but see him for yourself and judge. Certainly, he's got potential. He's not there yet, as badly as I wish he was. It's not for lack of effort or physical tools. But as I watched him vs. D-league yesterday in particular, he definitely got beat more than once.

• Premium Member

Classic tweener just like Daye and Perry Jones.  Too frail to guard 4s and too slow to guard wings.  He may "play" like a 3 but PF is typically where guys like this are less of a liability.

Can't say I've watched him for an entire game, and certainly there are numbers that suggest he leaves something, if not a lot, to be desired defensively. I don't pretend to know. To the positive side of the ledger, I can attest that I've seen him make effort, I've seen some instinct for playing passing lanes, and have seen his height/wingspan certainly get put to use on occasion (i.e., blocks, steals, rebounding).

• Premium Member

If GRIII (who I am not against developing) is signed ... it means we are going with Thabo and Baz as our SF.  GRIII will be at the end of the bench or in the dleague.   I don't see him helping us this season.

Early season, we agree.

All-Star break or later, assuming development, I think he begins to get some regular time not unlike Moose experienced. He's old enough and having already had some actual floor time in MIN and PHI, I think... again, assuming he develops... he'd get that opportunity as circumstances present themselves.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Peoria, I think the qualifier here is we're only talking about guys who are very young and who we think have the potential to be worth our while to see what we can help them develop into... be it GRob3, QMiller or others who might be tearing up Summer League without a steady job, or those who might yet come available.