• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Official Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

So take a team that is already championship caliber, add $33.6M in salary in Melo/Holiday and subtract $15.4M in salary Curry/Barnes and they can still be championship contenders?

Wow.  If it wasn't for the cap making that completely impossible, I'd think that was quite a backhanded slap at Carmelo.

That pretty much says it all.  I don't disagree with that. If you could build a team like that, Melo could be a contender.  In the real world where his ~$23M salary eats up a lot of space and his eh play doesn't give you enough to get close to contending unless he is just one of the gang, you won't have to worry about sizing him up for a ring anytime soon.  The only time his team won is when Chauncey Billups and Nene were better than he was and he just filled the role as the team's highest volume shooter.

I can't disagree with the fact that he makes too much and it ruins the chance to build a team around him then again, look at what we are paying Sap and we still can build a contender.

• Moderators

I can't disagree with the fact that he makes too much and it ruins the chance to build a team around him then again, look at what we are paying Sap and we still can build a contender.

The fact that we have 3 of the top 30 contracts in the NBA according to SI helps but it is going to be challenging to improve on what we have when the pricetag on our own guys looks to escalate (this year Sap & DMC, next year Horf, etc.)

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/glenn-robinson-iii-opening-eyes-with-the-atlanta-h/nmx3M/

...“I had a couple of workouts with the Hawks during my draft process,” Robinson said. “I had two. They were a team that really looked at me. They gave me a call and wanted me to come out and play summer league. I know this is a team that I would love to play for. The whole coaching staff has a great philosophy and they play really well together. I think that is the type of system that I fit best in.”...

...He’s well-versed in the Hawks’ organization and system to know he chance will begin with defense.

“It definitely did,” Robinson said when asked whether he considered the current Hawks roster when making a decision to play here. “I talked to my agents and they brought me in three days ago. That was kind of a surprise but at the same time this team needs defense, a guy who can step out on the court and lock down. They have shooters, guys who can score. I know that might not be my role at first but if I am lucky enough to make this team and have an opportunity defense is really going to be the thing that gets me on the court.”....

As some others were talking about in the last few days, this is a direct result of players and agents seeing how well we developed DMC and others on our roster. Other people really are noticing that we have a great staff to develop their younger talent, and we are turning into an attractive destination. If we keep this up it will eventually trickle upwards to the star players, then the all-star players.

• Like 1

As some others were talking about in the last few days, this is a direct result of players and agents seeing how well we developed DMC and others on our roster. Other people really are noticing that we have a great staff to develop their younger talent, and we are turning into an attractive destination. If we keep this up it will eventually trickle upwards to the star players, then the all-star players.

I get that feeling too.  Players that have something to prove in the league could see the Hawks as a system they want to be in to improve their worth and may take a pay cut or a short contract to do that.  I think that's helped us notch the more "under the radar" types.

So I do feel like we are an attractive destination but not for superstars and I don't think we will be for them unless we prove we want to shell out for one.  Not a lot of superstar types want to play in a system like Bud's for fear of seeing their touches/shots go down. 

I do feel someone like LMA is not of that flavor so there are some All-Stars I could see wanting to be here but the Dwights, Lebrons, Blake Griffins, etc of the league wouldn't want a part of it IMO.

...I don't think Melo is nearly the scorer that his reputation suggests.  He has had a couple HOF-level years, but much of his career has been volume scoring and not HOF scoring.

Yeah...I can't help but wonder if with all these advanced metric(x)? computations, the smart coaches may have figured out that you are better off (%-wise) with multiple "good" shooters and you can get them open shots via passing and strategery than you are with a volume shooter who might get selfish and jack up off-balance "heat checks".

Sure, the volume shooting "heat checkers" may end up with a statue but they may never get you to the conference finals (wink).

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah...I can't help but wonder if with all these advanced metric(x)? computations, the smart coaches may have figured out that you are better off (%-wise) with multiple "good" shooters and you can get them open shots via passing and strategery than you are with a volume shooter who might get selfish and jack up off-balance "heat checks".

Sure, the volume shooting "heat checkers" may end up with a statue but they may never get you to the conference finals (wink).

Carmelo is best in his Olympic role - as a member of the supporting cast, not as the lead dog.

I bet Melo hasn't had a single transition block in his entire career, at least I can't recall. You can count the number of loose balls he's hit the floor for on one hand. That sums up the type of player he is more than any analysis of his scoring.

Anyway, I must've been mistaken, I thought we were on NBATV vs the D-League Select at 6:30. WTH.

• Premium Member

So is the deal with GR3 that he just can't shoot (BBIQ?)...6-7, 222 with a 41 inch vertical and able to do a 360 sounds pretty impressive to me.

I guess what I'm saying is - why isn't he on a team already?

Good question

But we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm not yet convinced. And it's not because I don't want to be.

I think if I'm Budcox, I'm trying to be as objective as possible about who I can develop... watching ALL of the games to see what the field of wings looks like...

Just saw Schuhmann comment in the Twitter feed, for instance, that the Pistons would have to waive 2 guaranteed contracts for their 2nd rounder (38th pick) wing, Darrun Hilliard, to get a roster spot. Not advocating that player, but just saying there could be similar circumstances around the league with a few teams, and just need to be aware of all of the possibilities.

• Like 2