• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Do yall know that we have no capspace?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Why does it matter that they count against the cap, they are resigning their own guys with the bird rights. They are not trying to free up money to sign new FAs.

OK, I will cosign that they haven't cheated this season.  But please, get the scientist out and tell me what happened last season.  When they were over the cap and made their flurry of moves!  I say that to suggest that they will make a free agent acquisition before it's all over and the league will shrugg it's shoulders like they did last year.

OK, I will cosign that they haven't cheated this season. But please, get the scientist out and tell me what happened last season. When they were over the cap and made their flurry of moves! I say that to suggest that they will make a free agent acquisition before it's all over and the league will shrugg it's shoulders like they did last year.

I can't remember exactly last year but they cleared salary like Luol, Waiters, Bynum, Hawes, to create space to sign LBJ with cap space. Players like Bennett, Thompson and Kyrie were on rookie contracts. They then traded for Love. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I can't remember exactly last year but they cleared salary like Luol, Waiters, Bynum, Hawes, to create space to sign LBJ with cap space. Players like Bennett, Thompson and Kyrie were on rookie contracts. They then traded for Love.

No, i was alright with that.  I'm talking after the smoke of Lebron and Love... Over the cap, they were able to get Mozgov for Picks.  Perkins for nothing.  Shump and Smith for Waiters and 3 Million  imaginary dollars.   That's after they started off losing, and Lebron went to Miami for his supplements reup.

No, i was alright with that. I'm talking after the smoke of Lebron and Love... Over the cap, they were able to get Mozgov for Picks. Perkins for nothing. Shump and Smith for Waiters and 3 Million imaginary dollars. That's after they started off losing, and Lebron went to Miami for his supplements reup.

My memory fades with age...I'll have to look it up.

• Moderators

No, i was alright with that.  I'm talking after the smoke of Lebron and Love... Over the cap, they were able to get Mozgov for Picks.  Perkins for nothing.  Shump and Smith for Waiters and 3 Million  imaginary dollars.   That's after they started off losing, and Lebron went to Miami for his supplements reup.

You can look for it.  The short answer is they had a $5.2M trade exception into which they fit Mozgov.  Here is how they got there:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12136574/nba-how-did-cleveland-cavaliers-get-timofey-mozgov

If you do the research on the other transactions you'll see how they got them, too.

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

You can look for it.  The short answer is they had a $5.2M trade exception into which they fit Mozgov.  Here is how they got there:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12136574/nba-how-did-cleveland-cavaliers-get-timofey-mozgov

If you do the research on the other transactions you'll see how they got them, too.

Let's take some excerpts shall we:

The team then embarked on a convoluted and complicated journey that included five trades, eight second-round picks, two first-round picks, five delayed signings and $1 million in cash. This twisted voyage led them to Wednesday's trade for Timofey Mozgov.

That by itself sounds like hand waving... but here's the worst part...

As a side note, the Cavs traded their 2019 second-round pick this week to the New York Knicks in a deal that got them J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert.

Bogans, Murphy, Lucas and Thomas were all later waived by the Sixers and Celtics. Powell was used in the Rajon Rondo trade and is now in Dallas.

Steps 1-4 left the Cavs holding a $5.2 million trade exception with an expiration date of one year, Sept. 27, 2015.

The two parts in red are the most important parts to this story.  The trade of Waiters for Smith and Shumpert is a net loss of about 3.0 Million dollars.

HOW.. do the Cavs have a net loss of 3 million dollars that suddenly become a 5.2 Million dollar exception??  I'll tell you.  Lebron calls Silver and says, this is what I need.  2nd round picks don't hold cap value so... all this other stuff is hand waving and all the trades in the world where you gain 0.3 Million here and 0.2 Million there won't get you up to 5.2 Million in exceptions.  Especially when you should have lost money on the waiters trade.

• Moderators

Just stop, D.  Just stop.  

The trade exception was created by Bogans for no salary.

In a completely separate trade, Smith and Shumpert came into Cleveland and Cleveland shipped out Dion Waiters, Alex Kirk and Lou Amundson in a three way deal that involved OKC and its trade exception.  The fact that some of these deals are non-guaranteed doesn't matter.

Bear in mind under the CBA that the Cavs could take back significantly more salary than what they traded out and you have to factor OKC into the equation with their trade exception when making this balance.  

That is how they took back more salary than they sent out in this trade.

Sounds like musical chairs what the Cavs do to acquire their players. In all seriousness sounds like the perfect storm how the Cavs are acquiring their players and they now can acquire more talent with the exception on the Haywood contract if they unload it I believe. Our GM needs to smarten up and start taking notes on how the Cavs work the system. It pisses me off that the Hawks are not prepared to make manuevers yet the Cavs always seem to have another card to deal and acquire more talent.

Hawks need to get rid of some dead weight on the bench to free up money. Yeah we need bench players but those who don't play well need to be gone.

• Moderators

Sounds like musical chairs what the Cavs do to acquire their players. In all seriousness sounds like the perfect storm how the Cavs are acquiring their players and they now can acquire more talent with the exception on the Haywood contract if they unload it I believe. Our GM needs to smarten up and start taking notes on how the Cavs work the system. It pisses me off that the Hawks are not prepared to make manuevers yet the Cavs always seem to have another card to deal and acquire more talent.

Hawks need to get rid of some dead weight on the bench to free up money. Yeah we need bench players but those who don't play well need to be gone.

The Cavs GM was a beast last year.  The key for them is that nobody else wanted Shump and JR so they got them for chump change.  Remember, they even picked up a first round pick in the deal!  (From OKC who stupidly wanted Waiters).