• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Justin Holiday signed by hawks

GrimeyKidd

The 5 million dollar question though... does he play chess?

If he didn't, bud wouldn't have gone after him. It was prolly on his resume. Lol

Well now, this is interesting.

Wasn't aware he was a combo guard. If that is the case then this move would fall within my theory that we have been looking for a combo guard in order to move one of our 3 PG's that can play PG only. IF, and that's a bit IF, Holiday can serve as a combo guard that could be a 3rd PG, then we might see a move of Mack or Teague to make room for a true starting SF type.

Or Bud could view him as strictly a wing player with solid handles. And we'll see I guess.

• Premium Member

Looked for that, and indeed, he played PG minimally in GS. Still, it shouldn't surprise any of us that Jrue's brother probably has some skills in that way... almost the same situation as Hardaway, actually--barely played the position any, but what little he's played makes you want to see more, and especially so given the genetics that are self-evident.

Looks like he was a combo guard for GSW last year after all.

http://bluemanhoop.com/2015/01/08/justin-holidays-rise-to-relevancy-with-golden-state-warriors/

Justin Holiday was supposed to be the last guy on the bench. Holiday, 25, is the younger brother of the New Orleans Pelicans point guard Jrue Holiday and after leaving Washington to go to the NBA after the 2011 college season, he has bounced around the NBA circuit, signing onto teams during the summer before eventually settling with the Idaho Stampede last season.

Holiday made the Warriors this year as their last guard and after barely getting off the bench early on — he played just more than 24 minutes combined in the Warriors first ten games this season, receiving mostly garbage-time minutes –he has salvaged a backup guard role and is starting to make an impact on a nightly basis.

Holiday has seemingly surpassed the veteran Brazilian guard Leandro Barbosa for the combo guard minutes and recently has played quality second team minutes for the Warriors.

“I love having (Barbosa) on the team; he’s the first guy off the bench to cheer for his teammates,” coach Steve Kerr said to reporters earlier in the week. “Right now, it’s just Justin’s time. I’ve given him the chance and he’s made the most of it.”

Holiday has played double-digit minutes in seven of the past eight games, the outlier being last night against the Pacers, where he played only eight minutes. He scored 18 points and had three assists and three rebounds against the Kings on December 22. The next night, he had 11 points and four rebounds against the Lakers.

In the Warriors win over the Thunder earlier in the week, Holiday made 4-of-6 shots and finished the game with 12 points.

The former Washington guard is gaining confidence every night.

“On the offensive end, I just want to stay confident. I’m always confident when I take my shot. I want to be aggressive. With Steph and Klay and Andre playing with those guys makes everything easier,” said Holiday.

In 2012, when Holiday played nine games with the Sixers, he shot only 25 percent from three and 33 percent from the field. In a slightly larger sample of 19 games, Holiday has shot 41 percent from three and 43 percent from the field. He also has already surpassed his rebounding and assist totals from his last time in the NBA.

Holiday seems to have etched out his role for the Warriors playing sparing second team minutes in close games but during the second or beginning of the fourth quarters of games the Warriors have double-digit leads in, Holiday has relieved Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson and has done a good job.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1398513

"Streaky scoring version of Royal Ivey." was nominated and seconded.

(GS?) fan who had the most to say said this: "Streak shooter from three. Really poor ball handling skills. Very good perimeter wing defender. Lanky and weak body frame, has trouble with stronger wings in the post. Average finisher at best on the break. Works hard and will be a good locker room guy. Good guy to have as a deep bench player if he's a rotation player you probably will be disappointed by him."

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/10/27/golden-state-warriors-introducing-justin-holiday/

Justin Holiday, a native Californian, was lucky enough to claim an opening night roster spot with the Golden State Warriors. So who is Justin Holiday? Here’s a quick biography.

A 6’ 6” combo guard out of Washington, Justin — older brother of Philadelphia 76ers point guard Jrue Holiday — made his name in college as a defensive-minded guard with a knack for scoring. A massive seven-foot wingspan gave him the tools to be a harassing presence both on and off the ball against multiple positions.

Holiday was rewarded for his efforts with a Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year award in 2011, playing alongside future NBA talents Terrence Ross, C.J. Wilcox, and Isaiah Thomas.

Looking back on his DraftExpress.com scouting report and NBA projection prior to the 2011 draft, it would appear Justin Holiday has landed in the perfect spot with Golden State:

“He could fit nicely as a bench player who could come in and play either wing spot alongside a shot-creating wing or point guard, and be a fourth or fifth option type of player offensively, if he’s able to consistently knock down perimeter jump shots and spread the floor. Being on a team that likes to play at a faster tempo would also play more to his strengths, as any opportunity for him to utilize his length and athleticism would be a bonus.”

Despite a strong senior season and being pegged as a potential early second-rounder, Holiday went undrafted in the 2011 NBA draft, and later signed with Okapi Aalstar of Belgium where he saw starter minutes alongside current Indiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland.

Holiday then bounced around the NBA, signing with the Cleveland Cavaliers for the 2012 Summer League, then Portland for training camp, and eventually settling with the Idaho Stampede for the D-League season.

April of 2013 marked a major milestone for Holiday, finally seeing his first NBA action in nine games with the Philadelphia 76ers. Alongside his brother Jrue, Holiday logged his first double-digit scoring game, notching 11 points in 27 minutes against the Detroit Pistons.

After being waived by Philadelphia and Utah in the upcoming Summer League, Holiday hopped over the pond once again to Szolnoki Olaj of Hungary for the 2013-14 season where he averaged 10.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game en route to a Belgian Cup Championship, which was enough for the Golden State Warriors to bring him on to their 2014 summer roster, and eventually the preseason invitation.

Rusty Simmons of SFGate.com shows us that Steve Kerr has high levels of respect and expectations for Holiday.

“He’s an unbelievable guy. He’s a great worker, he’s smart and he’s a team guy. Justin belongs in this league. They keep grinding, knowing that nothing is given and everything is earned. That’s one of the reasons I love him, along with the fact that he’s a really good player.”

So what can Justin Holiday do for the Golden State Warriors?

He’ll bring that defensive prowess that got him noticed at Washington. I’ve long believed that as long as the NBA employs bench players, there will be spots reserved for guys who take pride in playing hard-nosed, aggressive defense. Justin Holiday will provide the Warriors with full-tilt perimeter defense, a la Avery Bradley of the Boston Celtics.

Holiday has developed a respectable three-point shot and he possesses a high level of athleticism and energy, which I’m sure Steve Kerr is happy to have in his back pocket behind Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Might could play the 1, 2, AND 3...

I get the feeling that he cannot be trusted at the 3.   He's just too small.  Not heightwise... 185 gives up too much weight.  He will be posted up by most threes and overpowered by the others.   He gives up like 80 lbs to Lebron... come on.

• Premium Member

He would not be guarding LaBrawna...come on.

Who could he guard at 185?

I think we need to recognize that he's a combo guard.  Not a Sf.  I mean, he's built just like Dennis.. in his rookie year. just a little taller.

Edited by Diesel

Lets see behind Korver  you have Bazemore, Hardaway and now Holiday. Alot of shooting guards so I wonder if a trade is in place to reduce the number. None of them are protype small fowards so I wonder if the Hawks may be packaging one of them.

Edited by thescout5
  • Like 1

As others have posted in this thread, he's supposedly up to 200 lbs now.

I highly doubt any 4 of those wing players are in danger of being traded. Korver is still the best shooter in the NBA. If Thabo starts then Baze is the best bench wing defender we have. Hardaway and Holiday just got here. If anything, it probably means the end for Daye.

• Like 1