• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Justin Holiday signed by hawks

GrimeyKidd

To much trying to be young and cheap for my taste. Hawks last year showed they can go far. If they had not rested so many players they could have the best record in the league. They did not go over the hump against/because Lebron and because of having to little versatility(ala GS). Thats something that can be worked on. I like the Splitter and Hardaway moves. Not sure why Holiday should get in the mix. Hawks are better of going after Chandler, or probing the waters to see if Dallas tanks and go after Dirk, Parsons, or Matthews.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

To much trying to be young and cheap for my taste. Hawks last year showed they can go far. If they had not rested so many players they could have the best record in the league. They did not go over the hump against/because Lebron and because of having to little versatility(ala GS). Thats something that can be worked on. I like the Splitter and Hardaway moves. Not sure why Holiday should get in the mix. Hawks are better of going after Chandler, or probing the waters to see if Dallas tanks and go after Dirk, Parsons, or Matthews.

With what cap space?  It helps to be realistic.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 3

With what cap space?  It helps to be realistic.

Well, signing guys like Holiday and Daye doesnt help regarding capspace. "Kleinvieh macht auch Mist"(smaller cattle also add manure) as they say in Germany. And other than that a Scott and Mack are redundant if you ask me. We need to have a little more faith in Dennis and Moose and in return could land some overpaid guy who already proved themselves on a position whe need upgraded, SG/SF or 6th man own shot creator Dirk.

It helps to be creative, ambitous, and trustfull...

Edited by DS17Fanboy
  • Like 1

Overal I like what Bud is doing, but we are imo close enough to take some risks and try and take it all. I think Bud though is to much in love with basketball nerdism and the long haul. Now we have Horford and Teague and Dennis together. Now is the time to get us over the hump imo. Plenty of longhauling can be done next year, and a few slightly overpaying contracts are not the worst seeing the capspace increases.

So Holiday is 6'7", 200lbs, athletic, a good defender, decent shot from deep, with a 7'1" wingspan. Why won't he play some minutes at 3 again? DMC was 6'8", 210, with only a 6'10" wingspan... 

• Premium Member

Well, signing guys like Holiday and Daye doesnt help regarding capspace.

I don't think you understand what @JETSET was saying.  The Hawks do not have the ability to sign players to salaries beyond $1M-$2M per season right now.  A trade is the only way for the Hawks to bring back a player making more than that.

Edited by mrhonline

• Premium Member

So Holiday is 6'7", 200lbs, athletic, a good defender, decent shot from deep, with a 7'1" wingspan. Why won't he play some minutes at 3 again? DMC was 6'8", 210, with only a 6'10" wingspan... 

Honestly, I think the 185lb I saw somewhere almost has to be more accurate... one skinnnnnnny guy. And he didn't play much 3 in GS, and I think there's a reason he didn't.

Given hours to digest it, if another shoe doesn't drop--and I think we all hope one will--I'm left with

(a) the fact that clearly Scott's being pushed to make himself more of an option for minutes at 3 (saying that based on it being the first thing out of his mouth in the exit interview), and

(b) the fact that of all of the positions on the summer league roster, PF is the one where we seem to have gathered multiple guys with the potential to make an NBA roster (Smith, Moser and Ashley)... perhaps setting up a scenario where we keep one and slide Scott into a hybrid F slot.

© the fact that Korver can... not preferable, but can... play 3.

Thus, as things stand now and assuming no other moves are expected, I think the natural conclusion is that DeMarre's minutes at 3 will be absorbed by Korver and Scott, with end-of-the-bench reinforcements Holiday and PF-to-be-named added to make up for minutes those two wouldn't be playing at their more natural positions.

I don't think you understand what @JETSET was saying.  The Hawks do not have the ability to sign players to salaries beyond $1M-$2M per season right now.  A trade is the only way for the Hawks to bring back a player making more than that.

I understand perefectly well English, although Im shaky using it myself. He doesnt like Nowitzki that much and uses false arguments why not to persue him or the other two more young and better paid mavs.

Hawks have about 3 million in cap-space right now, Nowitzki makes 8 million, Parsons 15, Matthews 13. All these guys are possible when you also consider Mack and Scott making close to 6 combined. Then im more lamenting than suggesting, since these mini-moves like signing Holiday indicate the course Bud is taking. Im just saying that instead of signing Days and Holidays they'd better be more ambitious and sign cheap fillers when your done getting a real upgrade.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

• Premium Member

We still need to trade for a starting SF. Thabo is not a starting SF. He excelled in coming off the bench just to guard the other team's best perimeter player and we adjusted the lineup around him. We can't really do that if he's starting. He also is not a good enough offensive player to start.

Here's hoping we move some guys for a starter. I'd love to see Chandler here.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Hawks have about 3 million in cap-space right now

No, the Splitter trade used up the remaining cap space.  Check over at peachtreehoops.com for some of the salary info.

Tiago is the Hawks' primary offseason acquisition.

No, the Splitter trade used up the remaining cap space. Check over at peachtreehoops.com for some of the salary info.

Tiago is the Hawks' primary offseason acquisition.

His point still remains, with us being this close to a title we should have been more aggressive in finding a trade to acquire someone else besides Splitter.

His point still remains, with us being this close to a title we should have been more aggressive in finding a trade to acquire someone else besides Splitter.

Who is available and who are we trading? Give us something to consider.

Who is available and who are we trading? Give us something to consider.

As far as who's available, I don't know. Anybody on the Nuggets or Kings are the only players I've seen being actively shopped. Maybe we should ask the Warriors about getting Harrison Barnes or we should have hijacked the Batum trade. I'm not in the front office, but I can still say that this team as currently constructed is incomplete. Edited by nathan2331

Honestly, I'm warming up to the idea of Thabo at the 3. The only thing he doesn't do as well as Carroll is shoot (and he's a lot worse at it). He's a downgrade but I think he's a better passer, ball handler and slasher than Carroll plus hopefully competent at hitting the 3. Better defender too IMO.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm warming up to the idea of Thabo at the 3. The only thing he doesn't do as well as Carroll is shoot (and he's a lot worse at it). He's a downgrade but I think he's a better passer, ball handler and slasher than Carroll plus hopefully competent at hitting the 3. Better defender too IMO.

He WAS not IS. He is coming off two injuries. We dont know what he can contribute and banking on him is a recipe for disaster.  

Not to mention the slim possibly that he faces a suspension for resisting arrest , no matter how right or wrong he was.

Edited by Static

• Premium Member

I don't know about a down grade.

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415ATL.HTM

• Moderators

He WAS not IS. He is coming off two injuries. We dont know what he can contribute and banking on him is a recipe for disaster.  

Not to mention the slim possibly that he faces a suspension for resisting arrest , no matter how right or wrong he was.

The injury is a risk.  A suspension for the arrest is not.

• Like 4