• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Papa is now a rolling stone ya know

sturt

• Premium Member

Theory: Nugs may have figured they needed to make a firm decision and get the Arthur deal done b/c of the possibility Hawks might suddenly decide to go after him if worst-case scenario happens for Scott.

• Premium Member

2015-08-01_2104.png

I'm counting on none of those thinking it's a wise investment to throw ~$5m at a player who they may be able to have for less, and thus, that the waiver wire won't matter... that he'll be released after all.

But who knows.

Unlikely. Solely because BudCox will never give the fanbase what they want in terms of signing players (not that they SHOULD listen to the base's forum GMs about that). They'd rather sign a waived past prime player who would barely play, for the last roster spot. Lol

Edited by Mdizzle5
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Would be surprising to see him claimed off waivers, but I could especially see Portland outbidding us for him, given their cap room and given their depth chart. Then again, I could also imagine them having some if not more interest in Jordan Hamilton who the Clips just released yesterday.

• Premium Member

Risk-free, okay, but what benefit? If you take him to training camp in October, you have to guarantee the contract. And I believe I read that the new team would be restricted from trading him until the 30th day of the season (someone can check me on that).

Since I live in Houston I saw a ton of Big Papa: I am uncertain whether or not he is a legitimate NBA talent. Way too slow-footed at times. Has strong moves, but not the athleticism to use them to get past 3's. Thus, he has to play as an undersized 4, and his rebounding is atrocious in that case.

For the minimum, sure-- but there is a reason that no team is gonna scoop him off waivers more than likely.

Risk-free, okay, but what benefit? If you take him to training camp in October, you have to guarantee the contract. And I believe I read that the new team would be restricted from trading him until the 30th day of the season (someone can check me on that).

Stop reading Bobby Marks. He's actually a dumb guy who used to work in the NBA and so he has some institutional knowledge. Outside of that, he doesn't say anything insightful and reads more like a random twitter-bot scrolling through various sections of the CBAFAQ, Salary Sheets, and RealGM.

Yes, the 30th day of the regular season is the earliest you can trade someone claimed off waivers. Making a claim for him pointless.

Since I live in Houston I saw a ton of Big Papa: I am uncertain whether or not he is a legitimate NBA talent. Way too slow-footed at times. Has strong moves, but not the athleticism to use them to get past 3's. Thus, he has to play as an undersized 4, and his rebounding is atrocious in that case.

For the minimum, sure-- but there is a reason that no team is gonna scoop him off waivers more than likely.

I agree that his defense concerns me, but so did Scott's. For the room, I'd take this guy as a Scott replacement. His passing makes me think Bud could turn him into our Diaw. Plays hard too.

Not so fast.....

On Saturday night, there were rumors about Denver releasing him. However at this point there are just rumors. Until now, the player’s side has no knowledge for this matter and the Nuggets hasn’t informed them about those kind of intentions. According to Eurohoops sources, the Nuggets’ plan when they aquired Papanikolaou was to keep him in their roster and take their decision about him during Eurobasket, probably at the end of the tournament. That was their intention and that’s why they didn’t try to use his contract as a trade asset.

• Premium Member

I did think it unnecessarily charitable on DEN's part to waive him this early... didn't make sense, but then again, it also doesn't make sense to commit to signing Darrell Arthur, imo, when you have 14 guys already with guaranteed salaries.

And on the other hand, it might be all the better for us... early October, we'll know where Scott's situation stands, and also, some teams that otherwise might have made a play for Papa may go ahead and sign one of the available free agents instead if they're filling out their roster.