• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

J Won't Get Rich Off This Deal

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

Was surprised to see that Richardson actually put up some minutes for the Sixers, and even some points during the last games of the season. Honestly, didn't think he had anything left, given all of his injuries.

Still don't, to be honest. Proud to say, I haven't been deceived by April stats since Shellhead fooled me (and others who will remain nameless).

But as has been said, it's almost completely without risk, and who knows what wings (plural) will be on the bench opening night due to injury(?).

Here's the good about this J Rich signing (atleast in my eyes):

1.he's another 3pt shooter who has shown consistency in his 3s throughout his whole career....that's one thing I think we all can pretty much bank on seeing out of J Rich (number 16 on all time 3pt shooting...he's even over Dirk and that's pretty amazing being that he's never been considered a true star player)

2.im going to believe that he's a pretty smart player or Bud wouldn't have wasted his time signing his old ass. So I believe he's going to pick up buds offense and defense strategy fairly quick throughout training camp.

3. He's 225 pounds, 2 pounds lighter than Sefelosha and he stands at 6'6 compared to Thabo at 6'7....you know where I'm going with this!...yes he can be insurance at SF! He actually has size over all the other wing men that were signed over the off season.

4. He's a veteran that should bring leadership but actually on the court this time. Brand couldn't really provide the leadership on the court but I believe J Rich will steal some minutes somewhere to a point that he will be a regular rotation guy.

The ONLY two negatives for J Rich:

1. Can you stay healthy?

2. Can you play solid defense in the limited minutes that you will receive?

I've probably repeated myself yet again but anyhow here's how I see the lineups going for next season:

Pg- Teague | Dennis | Mack

Sg- Korver | Hardaway jr. | Holiday

Sf- Thabo | Bazemore | J Rich

Pf- Sap | Muscala | Scott

C- Horford | Splitter | Edy

I don't believe Petaway and Patterson will make the cut. I think Holiday will just display that he's more experienced to play in the NBA therefore he won't lose his roster spot and for J Rich I just believe Savy vets who aren't too washed up will almost always beat out young players trying to make their way in the league....but it's great to see bud let them compete and who knows maybe the guys will earn a spot.

• Premium Member

Here's the thing.

Thabo essentially will be filling DeMarre's role and minutes.

What's missing on the roster is someone to fill Thabo's minutes.

That's not Korver. Korver will be filling Korver's minutes.

That's not either of the other two SGs obtained, at least not for any extended time--Hardaway and Holliday just don't have the body frame to match-up with SFs on a consistent basis. Bazemore? Same.

That's not JRich, either, to my mind. I agree with JTB that he's an inch or two short of ideal, and agree that, nonetheless, he has a body frame that could defend SFs... but just not at this stage in his career. He's slower. He's without the springs in his legs he once had. And his injury proneness/history is well-understood.

Non-guaranteed contract? Essentially, a training camp soldier? Absolutely.

Someone to count on in a Thabo-like role on the 2015-16 roster?

That's a far-flung reach to me.

Edited by sturt

I'm neither excited or dismayed by the signing.

He's a camp body at this time.

No way he doesn't make the cut. He will be on our team for sure. No doubt in my mind.

No way he doesn't make the cut. He will be on our team for sure. No doubt in my mind.

• Premium Member

Lol...I've watched that movie a few times...my friends love it but for some odd reason I just don't...and I love like every comedy flick out there.

I remember reading an article years back when Netflix was just beginning to put together an algorithm to recommend movies to its customers. They stated that moveis like Napolean Dynamite caused the most troubles for their efforts because people either love it or hate it without any clear pattern why.

Don't think this was the exact article, but it's close:

http://kottke.org/08/11/the-netflix-prize-and-the-case-of-the-napoleon-dynamite-problem

Edited by mrhonline

I remember reading an article years back when Netflix was just beginning to put together an algorithm to recommend movies to its customers. They stated that moveis like Napolean Dynamite caused the most troubles for their efforts because people either love it or hate it without any clear pattern why.

Don't think this was the exact article, but it's close:

http://kottke.org/08/11/the-netflix-prize-and-the-case-of-the-napoleon-dynamite-problem

Might your original article have been in the New York Times? http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/magazine/23Netflix-t.html?pagewanted=all

(like the first or second link on your article...)

Here's the thing.

Thabo essentially will be filling DeMarre's role and minutes.

What's missing on the roster is someone to fill Thabo's minutes.

That's not Korver. Korver will be filling Korver's minutes.

That's not either of the other two SGs obtained, at least not for any extended time--Hardaway and Holliday just don't have the body frame to match-up with SFs on a consistent basis. Bazemore? Same.

That's not JRich, either, to my mind. I agree with JTB that he's an inch or two short of ideal, and agree that, nonetheless, he has a body frame that could defend SFs... but just not at this stage in his career. He's slower. He's without the springs in his legs he once had. And his injury proneness/history is well-understood.

Non-guaranteed contract? Essentially, a training camp soldier? Absolutely.

Someone to count on in a Thabo-like role on the 2015-16 roster?

That's a far-flung reach to me.

Yup that's the only problem! J Rich cannot make up thabos defense off the bench though he has the frame to play SF.

But if he can do just a decent job defensively in say 10-15 minutes of action per game this signing will be a huge win....

At the minimum he's a knockdown 3pt shooter to say the least which is always good to have.

If Mike Scott is eligible to play this signing will be even better. As Scott could grab some minutes at SF along with Thabo, Baze, & Jrich....it's definitely going to be SF by committee this next season.

Minutes at SF will be dispensed based on matchups. Most SF in the NBA are atleast 225 pounds so unfortunately none of are young guys have a build like that other than the vets Thabo and J Rich (you can add Scott to the list if he doesn't go to jail) so it will be interesting to see who gets the minutes. If I had to guess Baze and Holiday will play more at SF to backup Thabo against the SFs who play a perimeter shooting game (like Durant...I expect to see long armed holiday get his chance to guard KD with that massive wing span of his) and the SFs who like to play the power game (like Lebron and Melo) the vets will then get the most minutes....and Scott since they have a larger frame:)

What's scary about all this is....watching how easily Lebron posted and backed down Carroll, these young guys like holiday and bazemore damn near don't have a true chance at defending because it's like asking a pf to hold his ground against a center!....what's even scarier is that I believe melo (if he plays smart) can back down our youngsters just like Lebron could easily do so his Bud handles all this will be interesting to watch

Yup a savy vet is going to beat out the young guys....happens all the time. Its probably hard to tell who will be more effective based off training camps...old vets have the upper hand because they know what's expected versus a young guy like Peteaway and Patterson....this will be new to them