• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

A Finger Wag, From the Rafters

lethalweapon3

He's a Hall of Famer and world-renown humanitarian. Why not? Like others have mentioned, it's much better than a couple of the banners we already got hanging. Plus this proves the Hawks really do like Africans!

Edited by High5
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............  Um....well...  Hmm....

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

How do I feel about this...  Dammit, I love Deke.  Guy is my all time favorite NBA center.  I'll never forget that he came here and what he did for us...but...  Ehhhh.....  I dunno man.  I think every point I could possibly make has been dropped already.  

Y'know what?  

Go Hawks. lol  That's all I got to say about it.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 2

He deserves his jersey retired,  just for being the only established all-star to sign with the Hawks, as a free angent.

i don't have a problem with it... Not like anyone was ever going to ask to wear # 55 anyway.
Meanwhile, this is Steve Smith
pouting.jpg?w=300&h=200
wondering why his 5 years over the same span wasn't good ehough. blum3.gif

Edited by pimp
  • Like 3

I'm fine with it but it is a little strange. I think the fact that he made the HOF is the tipping point. I think Willis is probably more deserving as a Hawk but obviously not as big a player in the league. Willis was here 11 years. I think of Smitty as a big time player for us, and he was, but if you retire Smitty's number then you have to add Joe and Tree for sure.

Frankly, I wish we'd retire Dan Roundfield's number. He was an all star and helluva a player and guy. And tragically died while saving his wife's life.

You stole my thunder with Roundfield. He was one of my favorite players growing up because he was a true pro. He kept his nose clean (literally) and did his best to hold up the fort when the John Drew and Fast Eddie couldn't leave those drugs alone. He and Tree were the ones who tutored Nique when he was a rookie and showed him what a pro looked like on a squad lacking them. And how he passed away; can you possibly ask to go out in a better way, other than saving your kids or fighting for your country?

Love Deke like the next Hawks fan but I would've hung up #32 if given a choice of who goes first...

• Like 1

He's a Hall of Famer and world-renown humanitarian. Why not? Like others have mentioned, it's much better than a couple of the banners we already got hanging. Plus this proves the Hawks really do like Africans!

Between this, Edy, and Hawks.com looking like a glow in the dark flag of Zimbabwe I think the Hawks should have the whole continent covered.

The Hawk's ring of honor is always going to have a lower standard than such sterling franchises like the Celtics but I think impact on the franchise, HoF credentials, plus investment and relations throughout the community and beyond is a decent standard for getting a guy's name and number up in the rafters.  Still better than Pat Riley retiring Michael Jordan's number in Miami.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You stole my thunder with Roundfield. He was one of my favorite players growing up because he was a true pro. He kept his nose clean (literally) and did his best to hold up the fort when the John Drew and Fast Eddie couldn't leave those drugs alone. He and Tree were the ones who tutored Nique when he was a rookie and showed him what a pro looked like on a squad lacking them. And how he passed away; can you possibly ask to go out in a better way, other than saving your kids or fighting for your country?

Love Deke like the next Hawks fan but I would've hung up #32 if given a choice of who goes first...

Yes!  And it's not like his on court performance wasn't equally impressive

Roundfield earned a reputation as a strong rebounder and tenacious defender, and during his career he was named to five NBA All-Defensive teams and three All-Star teams. His nickname was Dr. Rounds.

Roundfield was selected to the NBA Eastern Conference All-Star team in three consecutive seasons from 1980-1982. He was unable to play in 1982, due to an injury. Roundfield certainly made the most of his 1980 All-Star appearance debut, he scored 18 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in just 27 minutes of play coming off the bench. Roundfield came close to winning the MVP award for his fine performance being overshadowed by George Gervin's 34 point scoring.

Roundfield lived in Atlanta, where he worked for Camp Dresser & McKee Inc.

Nuggets, as @macdaddy noted above, although I doubt that qualifies as a Madduxian offense.

Plus, it wasn't even the version of the 90s jersey he won in the playoffs with. I think all 1990s jerseys have been banned by the league, just because.

~lw3

You are right - it was hakeem suiting up as a rocket...