• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Michele Roberts Hopeful Of New CBA Deal By End Of Season

Michele Roberts is optimistic the NBA and its players can avoid a work stoppage.

"Sitting down at a table already now with the NBA to understand what worries the owners and what worries the players," said Roberts. "In the past very few attempts to speak in advance of the problems that led to the lockouts have been made. Whether both commissioner (Adam) Silver and myself want to do everything possible to prevent the NBA to stop: the only way is to negotiate. We have already started, we will meet again in early September with the hope to announce within the end of the season that the union and the league have solved their problems."

The NBA had a lockout in 2011 that lasted from July until December.

Anyone thinks it's possible there is no work stoppage?

From what I've read about Roberts, I don't see her as that much of an improvement over Billy Hunter. But I do not think we see a loss of games due to a labor dispute.

I'm also still staunchly against restrictions of labor and think the owners are full of shit on any claims of losing money. At the same time...I think the next best salary for the players is so low that the owners could/should set a lower BRI share. I'd still rather not see collective bargaining though as there are no health or -ism issues at play here.

From what I've read about Roberts, I don't see her as that much of an improvement over Billy Hunter. But I do not think we see a loss of games due to a labor dispute.

I'm also still staunchly against restrictions of labor and think the owners are full of shit on any claims of losing money. At the same time...I think the next best salary for the players is so low that the owners could/should set a lower BRI share. I'd still rather not see collective bargaining though as there are no health or -ism issues at play here.

I tend to agree.  On Roberts, at least we can hope she won't be as openly corrupt as Hunter apparently was.  Still not sure why the players let that all fly for so long.

The players are VASTLY overpaid and to even think to go on strike is crazy.

These franchises are taking in 1 - 4 million each game off of ticket sales alone. Plus the money they get fromy other sources, namely the multi billion dollar TV rights. No way are the players overpaid. These owners have proven that they're not losing money like they say they were. The players want their fair share of the revenue pie.

• Moderators

Things seem to be in a pretty good balance between the league and the players with revenues rising for both nicely.  Seems like a good place to nibble around the edges and keep on moving.  I'd like to see changes to the ownership revenue sharing model for sure, though.  

• Admin

These franchises are taking in 1 - 4 million each game off of ticket sales alone. Plus the money they get fromy other sources, namely the multi billion dollar TV rights. No way are the players overpaid. These owners have proven that they're not losing money like they say they were. The players want their fair share of the revenue pie.

They flip the bill for everything ... I think the owners should be making profits and have a higher percentage of revenue then teh players.  

Players aren't overpaid...they are the reason we give the league revenue

Owners need profit to take on the risk, etc but they are making plenty and aren't overpaying the players

NBA players make more than players in other sports because there are many fewer players per team so less players to split that revenue

There may be cash floating around but the talent isn't floating around for more expansion.

Agree totally.  There's probably about 2-4 too many teams as it is.  I mean turds like DellavaDLeague are still drawing higher-than-league-minimum NBA paychecks for cripes sake!