• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why is Mike Scott even on the roster/playing?

bumpyphish1

• Admin

I remember something about "innocent until proven guilty" but there may be more to the story since I have been out of town and away from the news quite a bit in the last month.

no, you are correct.  He has not been convicted of anything so right now he is a member of the Atlanta Hawks

What I don't understand is if Mike Scott is on the roster right now..what happens if he possibly gets convicted during the season? 

That would be a major team chemistry issue if we are on a hot streak and doing well. (If Scott is a major person in the rotation that is)

He is not going to get the 25 years everyone was freaking out about.  Likely he will just get a couple years of probation.  Once the case occurs, then the NBA will decide whether to suspend him or nah

Remember the old saying?  "Between a rock and a hard place." 

That's us, the Hawks.  Reminds me of an old country song from

years ago:  "Makes no difference if he a hound, you've got to

quit kicking my dog around."

He's ours.  He's part of the team and inner Hawks family. 

What will happen?  No one really knows.  We just have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, there is a new NBA season to prepare for.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Some things I think are missing from this discussion so far...

1) No one knows when his court date will be set.

2) CBA indicates that any conviction for an offense with a "drug of abuse" (which molly is) requires suspension for two years.

3) Mike Scott occupies a $3.3m space on our spreadsheet. If we cut him, the CBA does not provide for any special consideration to us to recoup that; so, there is no good reason for the Hawks to want to cut him until they'd have to... and concurrent to that, it's hard to imagine a situation arising where any other team would be willing to take him off our hands given all that is up in the air.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What I don't understand is if Mike Scott is on the roster right now..what happens if he possibly gets convicted during the season? 

That would be a major team chemistry issue if we are on a hot streak and doing well. (If Scott is a major person in the rotation that is)

I don't think it would be a chemistry issue honestly. Everyone knows about it and seems to support him. If the same thing happened during the season it might be a distraction, but for now we know what it is.

• Moderators

The judicial process has been slooooooooow (when is Bud's trial for the 2013 DUI, by the way?), so it would be presumptuous to assume Scottie has to plead or be found guilty anytime soon. From Bud to Thabo, this team continues to circle the wagons in support of its players, and Mike is no exception.

That said, his playing time will be ably eroded by Moose, and by Horf when he slides over to the 4 to bring in either Tiago or (knock on wood) eventually Edy at the 5. That may transpire with or without a mid-season suspension.

After shining at times during the 2014 playoffs, Scott was perhaps the most perturbed by his limited use in the 2015 playoffs. Bud must proceed as though Mike will remain a part of the rotation through the end of the postseason (they hold a team option for 2016-17), and keep him motivated to improve his game.

~lw3

Okay, why is he playing then?  Those minutes could be invaluable to our new members/rooks and deciding who we will keep on the roster from summer league.

The dude confessed to two drug felonies.  I've seen the video.   So please, spare the the innocent until proven guilty line.

Until he confesses in court there is nothing to be done.

Until he confesses in court there is nothing to be done.

I'm just worried about him becoming too valuable to lose in the rotation! If anything is to happen I hope it's during the next off season.

i think Scott is going to be very valuable when it comes to guarding the bigger small forwards in the league like Lebron and Melo during the times Thabo need some rest....but of course I'm only thinking this if Scott's defense continues to improve, if that happens judging the limited SF's we have on the roster it will be ashame if Scott gets into any trouble during the season.

....but the likelihood of something happening during the season is low I guess based on what others are saying in this thread

Edited by JTB

• Moderators

As to the rooks/yung'uns, Scott really isn't in anyone's way, unless one's heart bleeds for more minutes from Wheeler High's DeQuan Jones (note that forward Arsalan Kazemi was cut today, along with Edgar Sosa). The real battle for That #15 Spot is between Lamar Patterson and Terran Petteway, a swingman skirmish that Scott doesn't effect either way.

Incidentally, Scott was instrumental playing with that pair (plus Shelvin and Edy) in the 4th quarter last night when the Hawks pulled away from the wannabe Pelican players. If Jones (four points in about 100 seconds vs. Cleveland last week) wants to eat into a contract-guaranteed player's time during the preseason games, he'll have to impress the staff significantly in practice first.

From the standpoint of those of us who are certain Scott will get the league-mandated hook in mid-season, playing him now not only allows him to keep his confidence up for the indeterminate period that he remains on the payroll, but reduces the risk of preseason injury from additional empty minutes for Millsap, Horford, and Muscala. That trio can take notes from the sideline, as Scott runs many of the plays they'll be expected to perfect once the regular season starts.

~lw3

• Premium Member

Lets go there actually. People should have the right to, of their own free will, use chemicals to alter mood or consciousness if so they desire. Anything less is tyranny.

The thread is about why is Mike Scott playing for us. He's innocent today and many others have pointed out multiple reasons how his presence can help our team. 

• Like 2