• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Odds and Ends

Just now, Watchman said:

Uh.   Mods???

What are the mods gonna do? I didn't say anything personal to anyone...you don't think racism might play a part in this?

9 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

GM?

No the name starts with an S. Surely he will be around on this thread at some point pretty soon. Add a little more to it, if plus/minus was kept back then I'm thinking folks would be very disappointed. Tiny lead a very long list of point guards that lead their teams to wins over us way too often and it was sorely obvious why.

5 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

GM? Don't get me wrong, watching highlights of the guy was amazing but a short time without much success as a team.

Maravich had one teammate of any substance, and that was Lou Hudson.  The rest of the roster was not very impressive.  Herm Gilliam was ok, but nothing special.  By the time Maravich arrived, Walt Bellamy was way over the hill, and he couldn't keep up with his teammates.  We had no good power forwards on the team during this time, and our bench was always mediocre at best.  I contend that he was better than he got credit for.

Just now, Thomas said:

No the name starts with an S. Surely he will be around on this thread at some point pretty soon. Add a little more to it, if plus/minus was kept back then I'm thinking folks would be very disappointed. Tiny lead a very long list of point guards that lead their teams to wins over us too often and it was sorely obvious why.

Oh Soth..yup...again no doubt the guy was a prime time ticket but I dunno about retiring the number...maybe he deserves it and Roundfield doesn't. I'm just saying we can't ignore the truth.

2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

What are the mods gonna do? I didn't say anything personal to anyone...you don't think racism might play a part in this?

No, I don't think it does.  Of the retired jerseys, we have more black players than white players.

• Like 1

Just now, Watchman said:

I contend that he was better than he got credit for.

Think retiring someones jersey is giving them credit.

Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Oh Soth..yup...again no doubt the guy was a prime time ticket but I dunno about retiring the number...maybe he deserves it and Roundfield doesn't. I'm just saying we can't ignore the truth.

Wrong again cat. Think of an avatar.

3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Think retiring someones jersey is giving them credit.

Wrong again cat. Think of an avatar.

Lol no clue then I guess but whoever wants Pete in I don't blame them and whoever wants to keep him out, can't blame them either.

7 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I'm all for retiring Roundfield's jersey.  He was always one of my favorites, and he deserves to have his jersey retired here.  Retire both of their jerseys.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Just now, Watchman said:

I'm all for retiring Roundfield's jersey.  He was always one of my favorites, and he deserves to have his jersey retired here.

Like I said I'm not old enough to have seen either live but from the stats it looks like Roundfield was pretty beastie.

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

Like I said I'm not old enough to have seen either live but from the stats it looks like Roundfield was pretty beastie.

He was great.  6'8" and 205 lbs, but rebounded like he was 3 inches taller and 50 lbs. heavier.  He could really get off the ground, and was a great shot blocker too.

• Like 1

Just now, Watchman said:

He was great.  6'8" and 205 lbs, but rebounded like he was 3 inches taller and 50 lbs. heavier.  He could really get off the ground, and was a great shot blocker too.

Sounds like a Charles Barkley/rich man's Reggie Evans?

• Moderators

I don't really have an opinion on Maravich.  I'm fine with it.   But with Deke's number and now Maravich I would think Roundfield would be in the conversation.   His Hawk career was certainly as accomplished.  I think Deke's charitable efforts around the city played a part as they should.   Not that saving someone's life and sacrificing your own automatically means you are great guy, but by all accounts Roundfield was.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I don't really have an opinion on Maravich.  I'm fine with it.   But with Deke's number and now Maravich I would think Roundfield would be in the conversation.   His Hawk career was certainly as accomplished.  I think Deke's charitable efforts around the city played a part as they should.   Not that saving someone's life and sacrificing your own automatically means you are great guy, but by all accounts Roundfield was.  

Did you see those guys play back in the day or were you in diapers like me? Lol

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

Did you see those guys play back in the day or were you in diapers like me? Lol

Not Maravich.   I saw Roundfield but I was pretty young so wasn't exactly watching with the same critical eye i have now.   It was pretty much like this:

68b1151350f67661154b845c74d17eee

I had never thought a lot about basketball until Maravich came here.  Once I got interested, it became a lifelong thing.  We signed Roundfield from the ABA.  The discussion at the time was that he was "the greatest player you never heard of."  Over time, he developed a long range shot in addition to his short and mid range game. 

55 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I had never thought a lot about basketball until Maravich came here.  Once I got interested, it became a lifelong thing.  We signed Roundfield from the ABA.  The discussion at the time was that he was "the greatest player you never heard of."  Over time, he developed a long range shot in addition to his short and mid range game. 

Wow...I didn't know he was a long range shooter either. That's awesome.

35 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Wow...I didn't know he was a long range shooter either. That's awesome.

He wasn't a three ball shooter, but when he first came into the league, he was pretty much fast breaks and dunks.  When I was saying "long range" I was really thinking more "top of the key" than 3 ball (which to me is a long range shot, as my personal range was limited to about 10-12 feet max.)  My choice of wording was not too good.