• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Odds and Ends

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

He wasn't a three ball shooter, but when he first came into the league, he was pretty much fast breaks and dunks.  When I was saying "long range" I was really thinking more "top of the key" than 3 ball (which to me is a long range shot, as my personal range was limited to about 10-12 feet max.)  My choice of wording was not too good.

Oh no I totally got you. I know that not many players shot 3's back then...not even a 3 point line so I figured it was out to 12-15 ft.

• Moderators

Maravich would have done better in the 3pt era because he definitely had range.  He is like the prior generation's Allen Iverson.  If you like fancy dribbling, ball dominating, and chucking like there is no tomorrow then you like them both.  He made a name for himself shooting an obscene number of times at LSU (without winning anything) and then kept that up to a lesser extent in the NBA.  

He did not compete with NBA MVP candidates on the Hawks but Lou Hudson was an All-Star every season and was better than him every season when they played together.  They had no other elite players but did have some useful people (including Dwight Howard type performance from Bellamy with 15-19 points per game and 13 rebounds per game on average their first 3 years together).

Maravich's best season (by the raw numbers and what else is there elite about him?) with the Hawks was emblematic of his game.  He spent the prior 3 years with Hudson outscoring him and wasn't going to endure that another year.  Despite being 7th on the team in FG% and Hudson being 1st on the team in FG%, Maravich put up 443 more shots than Hudson that season to end up outscoring him by 2.3 points per game.  Hudson also was the much better defender, both in man defense and outrebounded Pete while doubling him up on steals and blocks.

Maravich was a pure volume scorer.  His 5 All-Star seasons were his five season where he shot the ball the most on a per minute basis.  His career FG% was 44.1%.  Sweet Lou shot 48.9% for his career.

By the time Pete was on a team that was a quality winner it was his last year in the NBA with bad knees backing up Tiny for the Celtics. Blame that on whatever but even at LSU they never saw the NCAA tournament, scored a lot and stopped no one. Incredible a lot of the things he could do at both levels but in the end he had to shelve the fancy stuff and sacrifice most of his minutes to win with a chance to really count in the playoffs.   

Ivan is perplexed by this news of his number being retired for someone else

ivanjohnson_top.jpg

Asked for his opinion on ole Pistol Ivan responded

ivan-johnson.jpg

It kind of makes sense.  The Hawks were wearing Deke era throwbacks a few years back and he got his number retired, they wore Nique era throwbacks and he got a statue and this year they are wearing Pistol era throwbacks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MaceCase said:

Ivan is perplexed by this news of his number being retired for someone else

ivanjohnson_top.jpg

Asked for his opinion on ole Pistol Ivan responded

ivan-johnson.jpg

It kind of makes sense.  The Hawks were wearing Deke era throwbacks a few years back and he got his number retired, they wore Nique era throwbacks and he got a statue and this year they are wearing Pistol era throwbacks.

IMG_7774.GIF

I was pretty critical of Dennis early on.  The kid been hooping it up for a while now.  His scoring is going up while the TOs are finally dipping below 3.  Settling the lineups has helped him a great deal.  I expect his season to trend steadily to the break.

I do lament the decrease in his role as full-court presser though.  It helped the Hawks force a lot of shot clock violations the past few years.  Now it rarely happens.

• Like 2

After the low point of 12/3/16, this team went from disappointing to intriguing to watch just to see what was going on, from the comeback from down 20 vs Milwaukee to the gutty win in OKC, and more. There was signs of the team coming around before then, but I really hope Hardaway Jr's outburst vs SA is looked at as season defining, like Penn State's blocked FG vs Ohio State ended up being.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I was pretty critical of Dennis early on.  The kid been hooping it up for a while now.  His scoring is going up while the TOs are finally dipping below 3.  Settling the lineups has helped him a great deal.  I expect his season to trend steadily to the break.

I do lament the decrease in his role as full-court presser though.  It helped the Hawks force a lot of shot clock violations the past few years.  Now it rarely happens.

I think Dennis doesn't press as much because the backup isn't great. 1. He can't afford foul trouble and 2. He may need to play extended minutes.

I hope he presses IT full court all game vs Boston on Friday.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think Dennis doesn't press as much because the backup isn't great. 1. He can't afford foul trouble and 2. He may need to play extended minutes.

I hope he presses IT full court all game vs Boston on Friday.

I agree.  Even now we are seeing Delaney playing with Dennis instead of for him.   

• 2 weeks later...

A good kind of tidbit. Long range shooting looking up.

In January, Hardaway is shooting 41.0%, Bazemore 44.4%, Millsap 37.7%, and Schroder 37.5%. Other players have shot much better too, although largely on much smaller sample sizes. Malcolm DelaneyMike Muscala, and Mike Dunleavy (already known as a solid shooter) are all over 40% for the month as well. In short, a group of players that has been below-average for most of the season in this category has performed near the top of the league over January.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/1/2017 at 10:37 AM, Thomas said:

A good kind of tidbit. Long range shooting looking up.

In January, Hardaway is shooting 41.0%, Bazemore 44.4%, Millsap 37.7%, and Schroder 37.5%. Other players have shot much better too, although largely on much smaller sample sizes. Malcolm DelaneyMike Muscala, and Mike Dunleavy (already known as a solid shooter) are all over 40% for the month as well. In short, a group of players that has been below-average for most of the season in this category has performed near the top of the league over January.

Not holding my breath that they keep it up long-term but it would be nice.  Hawks were 26.9% from 3pt range yesterday.