• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Odds and Ends

Very long read, some interesting nuggets:

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/06/morning-tip-dwight-howard-finding-way-atlanta-hawks

The Hawks have been able to modify the flowing offense that they used the last two seasons under Mike Budenholzer; of course they’d put Al Horford in the post on occasion, but his strengths were as a roller and pick-and-popper. The Hawks can now take a more direct route into the paint. As in each of his previous 12 seasons, Howard is averaging a double-double -- 13.8 points and 13.0 rebounds per game (fourth in the league), and shooting 64.4 percent overall (third in the NBA).

Throwing it into Howard may slow the Hawks down a little bit, but it gives them the ability to play effectively at different speeds. The Hawks can still get a good look at the front of the rim if teams opt to get back in transition and set up defensively.

“It is tough coming home,” Howard said. “But I think it’s all about timing. It was the right time for me to be home. As soon as I signed with the Hawks, the first thing I did was sit down with my family, and tell them the most important thing right now is the season. I want their support, and they have to make sure that they keep everybody off my back and take care of different things in the community so I can focus on basketball …

“For me, it’s been a great experience. I know that we’re winning, so that adds onto it. But even when we were losing, when we had that bad stretch, the city was still behind us. If we had lost one more game that month, they would have left us. It was do or die, definitely.

Howard is trying to put his own stamp on his new team, in ways big and small. He runs most of the Hawks’ group chats, sending Instagram videos and inspirational sayings to his teammates’ phones. But he says he’s also learned that he has to be the bad cop on occasion.

“I’ve always been vocal, but there has been points in my career that instead of really communicating, I just sat back and watched,” he said. “And that didn’t get me nowhere and it didn’t get the situation nowhere, didn’t make it better. The best thing is to communicate. No matter how hard it is, no matter if you like it or not, you’ve got to communicate. You have to. If you don’t, you have to live with the results.”

He’s made a point of engaging Atlanta’s point guard, Dennis Schroeder, who was one of several teammates, including Millsap, Hardaway, Mike Muscala and Mike Scott, who went with him to Houston for the Super Bowl.

“After the last game, Miami, before that he wanted to talk to me,” Schroeder said. “He did it again today. He’s talking about stuff, how we can be better -- him first, and then me. It’s just great that you feel like people want to improve and try to get better, especially coming to me as the point guard, coming to me and telling me, what can I do better? I want you to do this.

The average NBA franchise is now worth $1.36 billion, a 3.5-fold increase over the last five years. With the NBA's $24 billion media deal with ESPN and TNT, as well as a new collective bargaining agreement, franchise valuations have never been higher.

The New York Knicks are the NBA's most valuable franchise for the second straight year at $3.3 billion, followed by the Los Angeles Lakers at $3 billion. The Knicks turned an NBA-record $141 million operating profit last season while the Lakers were second at $119 million.

The Golden State Warriors have jumped in value by 37 percent to $2.6 billion and third in the NBA compared to sixth last season. Golden State had the highest average cable TV rating last season and have a season ticket wait list of 32,000.

The Warriors hosted 14 playoff games and during the NBA Finals grossed $10 million per game, before the NBA took their cut.

Operating profits average $31 million per team and could double this season.

Franchise: Current Value / Revenue / Operating Income
1. Knicks: $3.3 billion / $376 million / $141.2 million
2. Lakers: $3 billion / $333 million / $119.2 million
3. Warriors: $2.6 billion / $305 million / $74.2 million
4. Bulls: $2.5 billion / $232 million / $45.5 million
5. Celtics: $2.2 billion / $200 million / $60.1 million
6. Clippers: $2 billion / $185 million / $-11.8 million
7. Nets: $1.8 billion / $223 million / $15.7 million
8. Rockets: $1.65 billion / $244 million / $62.7 million
9. Mavericks: $1.45 billion / $194 million / $40.3 million
10. Heat: $1.35 billion / $210 million / $21.1 million
11. Cavaliers: $1.2 billion / $233 million / $-40.2 million
12. Spurs: $1.175 billion / $187 million / $18.4 million
13. Raptors: $1.125 billion / $193 million / $46.1 million
14. Suns: $1.1 billion / $173 million / $26.3 million
15. Kings: $1.075 billion / $164 million / $18.4 million
16. Blazers: $1.05 billion / $178 million / $41.2 million
17. Thunder: $1.025 billion / $187 million / $-8.4 million
18. Wizards: $1 billion / $155 million / $6.6 million
19. Magic: $920 million / $166 million / $44.7 million
20. Jazz: $910 million / $164 million / $36 million
21. Pistons: $900 million / $172 million / $21.8 million
22. Nuggets: $890 million / $157 million / $21.2 million
23. Hawks: $885 million / $169 million / $19.8 million
24. Pacers: $880 million / $157 million / $23.9 million
25. 76ers: $800 million / $140 million / $18.2 million
26. Grizzlies: $790 million / $155 million / NA
27. Bucks: $785 million / $146 million / $24 million
28. Hornets: $780 million / $158 million / $9.4 million
29. Wolves: $770 million / $154 million / $25.9 million
30. Pelicans: $750 million / $156 million / $16.7 millio

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244918/Average-NBA-Franchise-Has-$136-Billion-Valuation

Clippers, Cavs and Thunder are the only teams that lost money.

The Hawks totaled 29 technical fouls – at a cost of $67,000 – through the All-Star break.

Here is the list of what the team has accumulated through the first 56 games of the season:

Dwight Howard – 9 ($24,000)

Kent Bazemore – 7 ($16,000)

Paul Millsap – 6 ($13,000)

Dennis Schröder – 3 ($6,000)

Thabo Sefolosha – 2 ($4,000)

Mike Budenholzer – 2 ($4,000

Howard is seven technical fouls away from the 16 that carries a one-game suspension. The Kings’ DeMarcus Cousins leads the NBA with 17 technical fouls and has missed a game.

“We’ve got to be better about getting technicals,” Budenholzer said last week after a loss to the Kings. “The whole group. This year I think we’ve gotten more than is really acceptable. It’s a close game in the fourth quarter. Every point is going to count. Every point is going to matter. You can’t give them those.”

Howard leads the NBA with four Flagrant Foul points. He faces an automatic one-game suspension if he gets another Flagrant Foul 2. If Howard gets one more Flagrant Foul 1 to raise his total to five points, he would face an automatic one game suspension for a subsequent Flagrant Foul 1

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-first-half-technical-foul-bill-000/0tZ7ynfRKa0e2IkctsxNuI/

45 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What took so long?

Probably hesitant to honor a living former player due to Crittenton's life progression(sic). :ninja:

42 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Dwight's 'flagrants' are jokes.   there should be intent to hurt someone behind a flagrant 2.   Not just physical play and Dwight happens to be a man amongst kids.   

Agreed.  Not his fault most NBA "bigs" are b*tches.  That said, I do believe he tried to decapitate that Zeller guy from CHA.  Totally worth it.

3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Travel issues my a$$...He's being traded! Lol

Heh.

:Schroder: "Dayum Boogie found out he was traded during the all-star game.  I gotta find out at tha Waffel Haus?!"