• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Odds and Ends

50 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Pain on and off the court. Well, at least we have eighty percent of our should be playoff starting lineup now. Dennis, Tim, Prince and Dwight. Add in some Ersan next game but not much of anything else unless Bud plays Bembry some minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, Guest said:

Meanwhile........

Great, great idea!  Way to go, Atlanta! But, what good is a new ship without a captain?  Welcome aboard, our new captain, Chelsea Lane!!!

:MooseGoggles:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Great, great idea!  Way to go, Atlanta! But, what good is a new ship without a captain?  Welcome aboard, our new captain, Chelsea Lane!!!

:MooseGoggles:

Thinking maybe it wasn't just Riley and Schlenk doing the convincing. That facility is incredible. As you said Gray, welcome aboard Chelsea.

• Like 2

I've been saying since the draft that a byproduct of picking who we did will be an uptick in our collective Q-rating.  Stemming from the lightning rod nature of Young who got the "BSPN" treatment his one season at OK.

Last couple seasons we were considered unwatchable by non-Hawk fans. Seems we're receiving some favorable reviews so far ...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/07/18/ranking-all-15-teams-in-the-201819-eastern-conference-from-least-to-most-watchable/111187428/

10. Atlanta Hawks

You know you're all in for watching Trae Young's rookie year. Don't forget about John Collins and Taurean Prince, either. But the hype around Young will make you tune in.

Not sure how MIA, DET and BKN got the nod over us by this particular eggspert.  MIA and DET will be a boring watch and BKN will be kinda 'meh'.

I'm really curious to see how many national TV games we end up with.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
I've been saying since the draft that a byproduct of picking who we did will be an uptick in our collective Q-rating.  Stemming from the lightning rod nature of Young who got the "BSPN" treatment his one season at OK.

Last couple seasons we were considered unwatchable by non-Hawk fans. Seems we're receiving some favorable reviews so far ...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/07/18/ranking-all-15-teams-in-the-201819-eastern-conference-from-least-to-most-watchable/111187428/

10. Atlanta Hawks

You know you're all in for watching Trae Young's rookie year. Don't forget about John Collins and Taurean Prince, either. But the hype around Young will make you tune in.

Not sure how MIA, DET and BKN got the nod over us by this particular eggspert.  MIA and DET will be a boring watch and BKN will be kinda 'meh'.

I can see Trae getting some foul calls in his favor as well when is the last time a Hawks rook had that luxury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Looks to me like he is counting on a lot of uptick from Russell. Detroit the Griffin/Drummond pairing and new coach. I don't know what the hell he is counting on from Miami; maybe Wades farewell tour.

• Like 2

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Looks to me like he is counting on a lot of uptick from Russell. Detroit the Griffin/Drummond pairing and new coach. I don't know what the hell he is counting on from Miami; maybe Wades farewell tour.

With MIami, I expect he is counting on watching one of the best coaches in the game do his thing.

41 minutes ago, AHF said:

With MIami, I expect he is counting on watching one of the best coaches in the game do his thing.

Interesting. The biggest draw for the 5th highest payroll in the league is their coach. I feel for Miami this year because that is sad.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Interesting. The biggest draw for the 5th highest payroll in the league is their coach. I feel for Miami this year because that is sad.

They are a team with a bunch of solid but not great pieces.  Dragic was a 2018 All-Star but isn't a big highlight guy.  Richardson is a pretty solid 3&D guy and valuable part of the starting lineup but not "must see TV" or anything.  Waiters blows; Tyler Johnson is fine.  James Johnson is another solid rotation guy who will help you win games but won't draw fans to the game.  Ellington is a 3pt demon and Winslow is a good defender -- nice pieces but not well balanced talents.  Bam and Whiteside provide some excitement on the floor but neither is a star.

So for me, their coach is the biggest highlight.  He will take this group of useful role players and solid starters and have them in the playoffs and with a great chance at a run of dominant play during the season.  In someone else's hands, this group wouldn't amount to much but Spoelstra will have them very competitive.

14 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Screw them dudes.  They've had their day(s) in the sun.

Maybe they should come to the realization that Riley is vastly overrated as a team architect.  At the very least, he's well past his time.  Have you seen some of the contracts he's passed out?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

They are a team with a bunch of solid but not great pieces.  Dragic was a 2018 All-Star but isn't a big highlight guy.  Richardson is a pretty solid 3&D guy and valuable part of the starting lineup but not "must see TV" or anything.  Waiters blows; Tyler Johnson is fine.  James Johnson is another solid rotation guy who will help you win games but won't draw fans to the game.  Ellington is a 3pt demon and Winslow is a good defender -- nice pieces but not well balanced talents.  Bam and Whiteside provide some excitement on the floor but neither is a star.

So for me, their coach is the biggest highlight.  He will take this group of useful role players and solid starters and have them in the playoffs and with a great chance at a run of dominant play during the season.  In someone else's hands, this group wouldn't amount to much but Spoelstra will have them very competitive.

None of that endears me to watch them any night this year; unless they are playing us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AHF said:

What the ...?

Who tunes into an NBA game to watch the coach ... coach?  I mean, we ain't talkin' bout Becki Hammon here.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

What the ...?

Who tunes into an NBA game to watch the coach ... coach?  I mean, we ain't talkin' bout Becki Hammon here.

Nobody tunes in to watch the coach.  It is the what the players do as a result of the coach that makes Miami's team more watchable.  Come on guys, this isn't that hard a concept.  Watching a Woody coached team iso every possession is less entertaining than watching a Brad Stephens team whip the ball around the court.  Spoelstra means you will be watching a team that is well run on both ends of the floor which enhances their watchability.

Do the Heat rate high on teams I want to watch?  No.  But they rate higher for me than they would if they were coached by TLue or Billy Donovan.