• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Odds and Ends

Paul Millsap ranked as second-best player in the Eastern Conference this season

Atlanta Hawks power forward Paul Millsap was selected to the Eastern Conference All-Star team and he was exceedingly deserving. Millsap has operated as Atlanta's best and most valuable player during the 2015-2016 season and, as we discussed prior to the selection deadline, an argument even exists that Millsap should have been voted in as an All-Star starter.

However, Sean Deveney of the Sporting News took the Paul Millsap love to another level this week. Deveney released a ranking of all 24 players involved in the 2016 All-Star Game, and in doing so, he anointed Millsap as the second-best player in the Eastern Conference.

Yes, you read that correctly. Paul Millsap as the second-best player in the East.

To the surprise of no one, LeBron James topped the list of Eastern Conference players, but Millsap's ranking will undoubtedly shock some folks. To be fair, Atlanta's star power forward did rank as "just" the 11th-best player in the game, meaning that nine of the top ten came from the West, but Millsap's place ahead of the likes of Paul George, Andre Drummond, Jimmy Butler and Kyle Lowry will meet some resistance.

The entire piece is worth a read, but the writer asserts that Paul Millsap is "quietly having his best season" and it is tough to argue. Through 50 games, Millsap is averaging 17.7 points and 8.7 rebounds per game with a career-best 22.6 PER and a very nice 57.5% true shooting. Beyond that, he stuffs the stat sheet with 1.8 steals per game while operating as an above-average defender, and Millsap routinely bails out the Atlanta offense with his crafty nature around the rim and ability to step out and knock down jump shots.

In truth, Paul Millsap might not be better than players like George and Butler, but his performance this season is certainly on par with anyone in the East with the exception of LeBron James, and it is nice to see him recognized as such.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/2/5/10922584/paul-millsap-atlanta-hawks-rankings-eastern-conference-lebron-james

43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Paul Millsap ranked as second-best player in the Eastern Conference this season

Atlanta Hawks power forward Paul Millsap was selected to the Eastern Conference All-Star team and he was exceedingly deserving. Millsap has operated as Atlanta's best and most valuable player during the 2015-2016 season and, as we discussed prior to the selection deadline, an argument even exists that Millsap should have been voted in as an All-Star starter.

However, Sean Deveney of the Sporting News took the Paul Millsap love to another level this week. Deveney released a ranking of all 24 players involved in the 2016 All-Star Game, and in doing so, he anointed Millsap as the second-best player in the Eastern Conference.

Yes, you read that correctly. Paul Millsap as the second-best player in the East.

To the surprise of no one, LeBron James topped the list of Eastern Conference players, but Millsap's ranking will undoubtedly shock some folks. To be fair, Atlanta's star power forward did rank as "just" the 11th-best player in the game, meaning that nine of the top ten came from the West, but Millsap's place ahead of the likes of Paul George, Andre Drummond, Jimmy Butler and Kyle Lowry will meet some resistance.

The entire piece is worth a read, but the writer asserts that Paul Millsap is "quietly having his best season" and it is tough to argue. Through 50 games, Millsap is averaging 17.7 points and 8.7 rebounds per game with a career-best 22.6 PER and a very nice 57.5% true shooting. Beyond that, he stuffs the stat sheet with 1.8 steals per game while operating as an above-average defender, and Millsap routinely bails out the Atlanta offense with his crafty nature around the rim and ability to step out and knock down jump shots.

In truth, Paul Millsap might not be better than players like George and Butler, but his performance this season is certainly on par with anyone in the East with the exception of LeBron James, and it is nice to see him recognized as such.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/2/5/10922584/paul-millsap-atlanta-hawks-rankings-eastern-conference-lebron-james

Get Trillsap some help at the 3 in Gallinari or Hayward and Hawks can challenge the Cavs.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In my Trump voice "This is huuuge" lol  I hated Blatt because I hate all things Lebron but now that he is out on the street I cant deny the mans track record and experience overseas. It would be a match made in heaven to add him to our bench with our international flair and perhaps bring some of that Icy-cold Quinn Synder-esque swag back to the team.

Not to mention the attention and storylines it would create regarding us as a darkhorse team to knock off the Cavs come playoff time

Edited by RedDawg#8

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-david-blatt-atlanta-hawks-020516

Speaking of, that didn't take long.

Blatt said he was in ATL to visit longtime friends, and he exited w/ asst. coach Neven Spahija, who like Blatt, coached for years in Europe.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

PHILANTHROPY MADE FUN

Hawks guard Kyle Korver keeps his long-standing philanthropic efforts thriving in Atlanta.

Atlanta Hawks guard Kyle Korver is well-respected both on and off the basketball court. While he holds the NBA record for the highest single season three-point percentage, he’s also regularly recognized for his character, leadership and philanthropy, including previously winning an NBA Sportsmanship Award—the first time ever for a Hawks player.

But for Korver, it’s less about consciously giving back and more about a way of life. “For me, I grew up in a Christian church, my father was a pastor and we lived out our faith as how we made the community better,” he says. “I’d go and do service every Saturday [in Paramount, California] growing up. It was ingrained in me. It wasn’t charity or philanthropy; it was just what we did. It was more about living well.”

He created the Kyle Korver Foundation during his first NBA tenure in Philadelphia as a 76er. There, he established a long-term relationship with the city’s Helping Hand Rescue Mission, which continues today. It’s typical of Korver, who says that it’s important to him to make an investment in places he’s helping support. “I didn’t want to come in and try to do something just to do it,” he says. “I was looking for something with a true need, where we could make a sustainable plan.”

That spirit carried over to Korver’s career with the Utah Jazz: He still supports People Builders Utah, and has helped with the construction of more than 100 wheelchair ramps. He took that same spirit to the Chicago Bulls, and he brought it to Atlanta as well, where he recently partnered with Plywood People, an Atlanta-based supporter of start-ups that address community problems, for a putt-putt tournament at Ponce City Market. Korver notes that while he does like traditional means of fundraising, he likes to mix it up and keep it interesting, fun and achievable. “Not everyone can play golf, but everyone can play putt-putt,” he says. “It felt more inclusive.”

He continues, “I think anyone who is in the world of fundraising says, ‘How do we make it different?’ You want your cause to stand out and feel new and fresh. But also, how do we make this fun? It’s too easy to get burned out in the charity world. It needs to be fun for the organizers as well as the attendees, while keeping it all about the cause.” Korver humorously notes that not every “fun” idea works out: “For one event, we thought it would be fun to try the longest kickball game ever. It was 24 hours long, and we still hold the title in the “Guinness Book of World Records.” In retrospect, it was the worst idea ever, but for a really great cause!”

Korver’s been having a blast working on the foundation with his younger brother, former college basketball player Klayton, who recently moved with his wife to Atlanta. Klayton, now an Old Fourth Ward resident, has been “the point person for the last seven or so years,” says Korver. “He and his wife have been amazing, have been really kind and willing to help. Besides my wife, I can’t imagine someone else I’d rather be doing this with. It’s brought our relationship to a new level and brought us closer as a family.”

Look for the brothers and their families on September 24, when the Kyle Korver Foundation hosts a dodgeball tournament at Georgia Tech’s Recreation Center. “We’ve done dodgeball before in Utah,” says Korver. “It’s nostalgic. Everyone gets dressed up—gotta have the clothes to go with the teams!” The tournament will start with pool play, followed by single elimination rounds. The winner will play Korver and some of his Hawks teammates, with all funds going to support local initiatives through the Kyle Korver Foundation. “We’re looking forward to a great day,” he says.

http://www.17thsouth.com/philanthropy-made-fun/

The wonderful article on Korver and the posts about the Hawks that follows is a

great reason to be a Hawk fan to anyone who is not already there.  If every NBA

fan and just basketball fan in greater Atlanta could see this, Phillips Arena should

fill for every game with Hawk fans !!

:approved: