• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Edy Tavares

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Did you not look at the NBADL website link I listed (to know what numbers I am looking at)?  It lists total statistics in the NBADL for the season.  Sounds like they are wrong.

MIN   PF

559     51

Yeah I did now and it seems like that table is broken. Here is where I'm looking: http://stats.nbadleague.com/player/#!/204002/?PerMode=Totals

He's averaging 2.9 fouls per game at 21 minutes so 3.3 per 36 obviously doesn't check out. 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, High5 said:

Yeah I did now and it seems like that table is broken. Here is where I'm looking: http://stats.nbadleague.com/player/#!/204002/?PerMode=Totals

He's averaging 2.9 fouls per game at 21 minutes so 3.3 per 36 obviously doesn't check out. 

One number of the other is wrong.  Both come from the NBADL website so unfortunately their right hand doesn't know what the left is doing on this.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

One number of the other is wrong.  Both come from the NBADL website so unfortunately their right hand doesn't know what the left is doing on this.

The numbers are right, the table you were looking at is just messed up. Looks like it's missing a total rebounds header.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Will Edy be ready to be a regular rotation guy next season?

Only Bud can answer.  I really hope so - even if it is just 8 minutes per game until he proves more.

He fouled out in 18 minutes last night. That's going to be his biggest challenge. He continues to impress me with his touch, though. Here's a quick video of his 16 points from a few nights ago. Even had a turnaround 18-footer. 

• Like 3

I wouldnt last long as a head coach in the NBA. I would PLAY all those developmental type players BIG minutes in the NBA.  Why draft or sign players like Edy, and be SCARED to play them?  Take the losses, and PLAY THE PEOPLE at the big level. I could care less about 16 points against scrubs in the D league. Put them numbers up at the NBA level. Problem is, he will never get the minutes to learn to play at that level.

• Like 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I wouldnt last long as a head coach in the NBA. I would PLAY all those developmental type players BIG minutes in the NBA.  Why draft or sign players like Edy, and be SCARED to play them?  Take the losses, and PLAY THE PEOPLE at the big level. I could care less about 16 points against scrubs in the D league. Put them numbers up at the NBA level. Problem is, he will never get the minutes to learn to play at that level.

There are only so many minutes and you generally expect to give them primarily to the guys who cost you the most to acquire (which is why you invested so highly in them).  I get why they don't get BIG minutes.  I just would have liked to see us give Eddy a few minutes particularly after Splitter went down and before we signed Lopez.   If he struggles, pull him.  If he makes a positive impact, then continue developing him.   Bud has enough trust from me that I respect his decision to not play people.  He has no Diaws on his watch (i.e., guy who we wouldn't play as much as warranted who becomes a serious contributor somewhere else).

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

There are only so many minutes and you generally expect to give them primarily to the guys who cost you the most to acquire (which is why you invested so highly in them).  I get why they don't get BIG minutes.  I just would have liked to see us give Eddy a few minutes particularly after Splitter went down and before we signed Lopez.   If he struggles, pull him.  If he makes a positive impact, then continue developing him.   Bud has enough trust from me that I respect his decision to not play people.  He has no Diaws on his watch (i.e., guy who we wouldn't play as much as warranted who becomes a serious contributor somewhere else).

@AHF  Who?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Wait till summer league. Moose gotta prove he belong in the offseason next year.

All depends on Moose. I'd rather see Edy get those 8 mins/night, personally. Moose is a funny/pleasant enough guy, just needs to be a backup somewhere else. Hawks don't have any room for nice/funny/decent guys on the roster just because they're nice/funny/decent guys...

18 hours ago, AHF said:

I did go overboard when i said BIG minutes, but you get what im saying.  PLAY the people. I get that you have money invested in Sap, etc. BUT, does not San Antonio REST its big money players, because they have DEPTH??

• Moderators

Both SA and ATL have 6 players with fewer than 450 minutes on the season.  The prior season, they had 5 (including first round pick Kyle Anderson who had over 1100 minutes this year).  Eddy has fewer basketball minutes at any level than any other those guys given the late start to his career.  I want to see more but I give Bud some leeway on this given his track record and where our team is at.

• Like 1

AtlantaHawks ‎@ATLHawks_Reddit

Reminder: Edy Tavares, Lamar Patterson and the Austin Spurs face LA at 10:30et tonight on YT in GM 1 of the D-League West Finals

Hawks’ rookies Edy Tavares and Lamar Patterson opened the NBA Development League Western Conference finals Thursday night. The two combined for 10 points for the Austin Spurs in a 102-97 loss at the Los Angeles D-Fenders in Game 1 of the best-of-three series.

Tavares had six points, six rebounds and five blocks in 13 minutes. Patterson had four points, two rebounds and two assists in 18 minutes.

The series continues on Sunday at 8:30 p.m. (ET) and, if necessary, on Monday at 9:30 p.m. (ET) in Austin.

• 1 month later...

Is Edy Tavares Ready To Take The Next Step?

If Edy Tavares made one play that stood out more than any other this season, he did it in January when the Hawks were playing in New York against the Knicks.

Carmelo Anthony beat his man off the dribble and drove down the middle of the lane. Tavares, who was guarding Kristaps Porzingis, had to rotate over to help. He stepped away from Porzingis and into the middle of the lane to cut off Anthony's free path to the basket.

Anthony made the right play and dropped off a pass to an open Porzingis, who rose for a dunk. But Tavares took a step back to his left, leaped and stonewalled the dunk attempt.

The NBA only had four players who were 7-foot-3 or taller this season, so seeing one meeting the other at the rim for a block was quite a treat. On the other hand, those moments were somewhat rare for Tavares on the NBA stage this season. Tavares came to the NBA for the 2015-16 season for a period of learning and growth after three seasons of playing in Spain's top league. As a result, he did most of his work in the NBA's Developmental League this season. 

The 24-year-old led the D-League in blocks per game (3.3) while playing primarily for the Austin Spurs. Perhaps most impressive: 66 of Tavares' 97 blocks came in the first halves of game. Tavares blocked 66 shots in 330 first-half D-League minutes -- in other words, one block for every five minutes of playing time. In second halves, teams adjusted and didn't take as many shots at the rim around Tavares.

In other words, he was altering game plans.

Head Coach Mike Budenholzer said Tavares will play for the Hawks in the Las Vegas Summer League this July, where he'll likely be the same force to be reckoned with that he was in Austin.

Of course, it's one thing to have an impact in the D-League and another to translate that skill to the bigger, faster, more skilled NBA. Don't be surprised, however, if Tavares manages to do it. He has a rare combination of size, soft hands, and a willingness to learn that may make him a player to watch for the 2016-17 season.

Story by KL Chouinard
Twitter: @KLChouinard

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/edy-tavares-ready-take-next-step