• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Do We....

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was thinking about our donut team... And here's my rationale.

Do we

1.  Wait on Edy to make his way up from the d-League and pair him with Al and Splitter.

or

2.  Drop a whole lot of cash in front of Drummond or Whitesides?

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

I was thinking about our donut team... And here's my rationale.

Do we

1.  Wait on Edy to make his way up from the d-League and pair him with Al and Splitter.

or

2.  Drop a whole lot of cash in front of Drummond or Whitesides?

If all goes well with Edy I think he'll be Splitter's replacement. The cost of starting and backup centers went up this past offseason and next summer when the cap goes up it'll be even higher. I couldn't see ATL paying Splitter starter money to come off the bench like the Cavs are doing with Thompson when they got to pay Horford, Bazemore plus Teague, Korver, Thabo, etc in the next few years. 

• Premium Member

The rebounding for this team will remain awful as long as Horford and Millsap are at the 4 and 5.  They're just not big enough and Favors reaching all over them Sunday was concerning.  But, the Hawks have already put 20 million per on Millsap and it will cost them more to retain Horford.  I don't see doubling down on this current core as a good move if they're serious about winning a title.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I don't see doubling down on this current core as a good move if they're serious about winning a title.

You mean that you wouldn't do it because of your dissatisfaction with the team's rebounding woes...Here is the problem, Bud doesn't share your concern.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You mean that you wouldn't do it because of your dissatisfaction with the team's rebounding woes...Here is the problem, Bud doesn't share your concern.

Of the team’s overall record, good for second in the Eastern Conference behind the Cavaliers, Budenholzer acknowledged the inconsistency.

“8-4, as coaches you are always greedy. We feel like we can be better. I think the record is not that important to us. We are not playing as well as we would like to. … Defensively, I feel like we have a better group and we can play better defensively. And that usually fuels our offense. The offense, at times it hasn’t been great. But it’s defensively were we have to improve and the boards where we have to get better. It’s one of the things we are constantly harping on.”

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

But it’s defensively were we have to improve and the boards where we have to get better. It’s one of the things we are constantly harping on.

Its just talk if you don't put rebounders in the game and ask your freaking starting center to play like Josh Smith

7 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

I'm not a fortune teller, I don't know what the Salary Cap will be next year. Some peeps say $89m others are at $84m. Not sure yet, but the Hawks will roll in with about $81m in cap holds but can waive Mack for $2.4m and/or Scott for $3.3m for some extra space.

Oh, it's ok HF (pats HF on the head).  I really wanted the real expert to weigh in.  We're waiting, @JayBirdHawk.

47 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its just talk if you don't put rebounders in the game and ask your freaking starting center to play like Josh Smith

2 things.

1) What "rebounders" are there on the bench that Bud isn't putting in?  Sap and Al have been the two best in the frontcourt while Splitter hasn't lived up to his billing so far.  So should Bud ride guys that because hyuk hyuk they are taller should theoretically pull down boards even if in reality they aren't?

2) There are plenty of big men that added 3 balls to their arsenal (Davis, Aldridge, Cousins, Love, Z-Bo, Bosh, etc.) yet all are still rebounding the ball better than Al.  Maybe the problem here is that he's been soft and is continuing to be soft rather than the coach is asking him to expand one part of his game at the expense of the other?  Well actually, Al is rebounding slightly better this year than last year, how is that?  Oh, he's hitting the offensive boards more (something that should be harder if he's spotting from 3) while slacking some on the defensive boards (something that has zero relation to him shooting 3s).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, MaceCase said:

2 things.

1) What "rebounders" are there on the bench that Bud isn't putting in?  Sap and Al have been the two best in the frontcourt while Splitter hasn't lived up to his billing so far.  So should Bud ride guys that because hyuk hyuk they are taller should theoretically pull down boards even if in reality they aren't?

2) There are plenty of big men that added 3 balls to their arsenal (Davis, Aldridge, Cousins, Love, Z-Bo, Bosh, etc.) yet all are still rebounding the ball better than Al.  Maybe the problem here is that he's been soft and is continuing to be soft rather than the coach is asking him to expand one part of his game at the expense of the other?  Well actually, Al is rebounding slightly better this year than last year, how is that?  Oh, he's hitting the offensive boards more (something that should be harder if he's spotting from 3) while slacking some on the defensive boards (something that has zero relation to him shooting 3s).

1st, Bud has passed on many rebounders since he has been here like Deng and Portis and traded Payne away for nothing.  He has not expressed an interest in free agent bigs signed that have a proven track record as a rebounder.

Secondly,  Al was a much better rebounder before Bud

41 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

1st, Bud has passed on many rebounders since he has been here like Deng and Portis and traded Payne away for nothing.  He has not expressed an interest in free agent bigs signed that have a proven track record as a rebounder.

Secondly,  Al was a much better rebounder before Bud

1st, he's been GM all of one year.  In that one summer he traded for Splitter for nothing, brought over his international big man prospect and resigned his All Star PF over a swingman, not to mention drafted another bigman in the 2nd round.  But I suppose because he didn't get who you wanted 3 years ago that it's more a sign of him being incompetent addressing the frontcourt than you just being bitter.

2nd, Al's rebounding has been steadily trending downwards since he became a pro, I can't see how Bud is at fault for that especially when Millsap has been hitting the defensive boards better as a Hawk than he ever did as a Jazz.  So what gives, is he telling Al not to rebound but Millsap to crash hard?

• Like 1