• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We are 28th in rebounding

Wurider05

We are not beating any of the good teams with our piss poor rebounding.  getting our rebounded means that the other teams gets more opportunities to score. We have lost to what we claim are inferior teams but if you consistently give them increased opportunities to score you are not going to beat anyone. Miami (12th), Cleveland (5th), Detroit (3rd),  Chicago (9th), Boston (11th) and Toronto (8th) are all way better rebounding teams.   What system you run if you getting out rebounded you are not going to beat any especially well-coached teams who know what to do with those extra possessions.  We a problem. A few possessions can change the out come of a game and we are giving our opponents more chances to win.

• Like 1

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm confused.  We didn't get outrebounded in this game (against the mighty Lopez)  but still lost the game.    Lopez had 2 offensive rebounds.  Horf had 3, Sap had 4.   Maybe there are some other problems.

Given that Lopez has never been even a decent rebounder for his size, I would hope to jebus that we don't get outrebounded by the Nets.  Our defensive rebounding remains an issue.  In our losses, we are letting our opponents grab over 31% of available rebounds on our defensive end of the court (we grab 15% on the other end but I am ignoring that because of the impact of our scheme).

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'm confused.  We didn't get outrebounded in this game (against the mighty Lopez)  but still lost the game.    Lopez had 2 offensive rebounds.  Horf had 3, Sap had 4.   Maybe there are some other problems.

Al and Sap had 4 defensive rebounds combined yesterday! Not very much for an All-Star big men duo...

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, rd79 said:

Al and Sap had 4 defensive rebounds combined yesterday! Not very much for an All-Star big men duo...

That is my focus.  Our defensive rebounding, their offensive rebounding.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

No confusion @macdaddy

TURNOVERS - TOTAL of 20,

15 from STARTERS.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No confusion @macdaddy

TURNOVERS - TOTAL of 20,

15 from STARTERS.

Exactly!   People act like if we just had Ben Wallace pulling down 20 boards a game we'd be unstoppable.  Rebounding is a weakness of this team and probably will continue to be but it's not necessarily a fatal flaw.   

3 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Horf is playing at halfcourt on offense.   Both are shooting way too many 3s.  KK has fell way off.   

I think the attention Kyle has received over the last few years is catching up with him. Remember... Most of his career he was 20-25 MPG backup. Moreover, his offensive game is very limited and teams have simply focused on limiting his looks. He takes what open looks he does great more quicker than he used to because he knows they come far less often now.

The NBA has adjusted to Bud ball. Lets see if he can do some adjusting of his own. If making Horford a 3pt shooter is his idea of adjusting... Things could get ugly.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I think the attention Kyle has received over the last few years is catching up with him. Remember... Most of his career he was 20-25 MPG backup. Moreover, his offensive game is very limited and teams have simply focused on limiting his looks. He takes what open looks he does great more quicker than he used to because he knows they come far less often now.

To some extent but having ankle and shooting elbow surgery and no offseason training might have something to do with his struggles.  His general basketball timing  seems off.

No matter how you disguise it or make excuses for it, no team can win a championship without being able to control the boards. The hawks are a good team, just not a championship team.  They have to be able to get second shots on offense and control the defensive board. I would force tavares into the rotation to see what they got.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AHF said:

Given that Lopez has never been even a decent rebounder for his size, I would hope to jebus that we don't get outrebounded by the Nets.  Our defensive rebounding remains an issue.  In our losses, we are letting our opponents grab over 31% of available rebounds on our defensive end of the court (we grab 15% on the other end but I am ignoring that because of the impact of our scheme).

Yeah, I can forgive not crashing the offensive glass but there is no excuse for not securing our defensive boards.  That may not have been as much of a problem last night but has still been a recurring theme this season.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

I think rebounding rate is hit or miss.  Look at the standings from last year.  The top ten rbr teams were hit or miss in the playoffs.  You know what stat was more telling EFF and TS.  That is what really matters in todays nba.

Don't try to make any sense around here.  It will get you nowhere.  

• Premium Member

I dont know what u guys are seeing, but i see something different.

It looks to me that Horford is foucsing on boxing out on the elite rebounders so everyone else can get easy boards. ex- Kent Bazemore.

Plus, does it really matter what our rebounding percentages are, everytime the hawks win or lose a rebounding battle, its not by alot, just 3 or 4 boards.

Plus, teams seem to get lower than thier season averages for rebounding when they play the hawks, maybe instead of getting more boards, thier reducing the other teams chance of getting them?

i might be wrong so dont jump out on me.

Edited by aali34
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, aali34 said:

It looks to me that Horford is foucsing on boxing out on the elite rebounders so everyone else can get easy boards. ex- Kent Bazemore.

Plus, does it really matter what our rebounding percentages are, everytime the hawks win or lose a rebounding battle, its not by alot, just 3 or 4 boards.

Plus, teams seem to get lower than thier season averages for rebounding when they play the hawks, maybe instead of getting more boards, thier reducing the other teams chance of getting them?

No.  

1. The elite rebounders are still getting their rebounds

2.  Our inability to stop the other team from getting OFFENSIVE rebounds that is the major problem.  Giving them multiple possessions.

2. Even if Al was boxing out as you suggest we are still not getting rebounds.

It's a team effort when it comes to rebounding, but for 2 straight games our starting PG has out-rebounded our starting C.  That has to be better no matter.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, aali34 said:

I agree with some of your points.  Rebounding is just the easiest thing to point to as a deficiency but it's not a great stat to begin with.   Not all rebounds are created equal and there are varying amounts of available rebounds on either side.   A team could have twice as many offensive rebounds as us simply because they shoot like crap and we don't.

To jb's point, giving them extra possessions is a problem but I still think the bigger problem than just getting outrebounded by a few boards is letting the other team get to the paint to begin with.   Which i think is why we're giving up the boards.  the whole offense has collapsed toward the rim already.   Couple that with too many jump shots on our offensive end and it's a losing proposition.  But we fixed these problems last year.   We can do it again.  

• Like 1