• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Horf =

Diesel

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Coach bud can give scheme, but he doesn't control Heart.   Horf is playing like he has no heart.

It's embarrassing.

Al is part of the problem, Coach Bud could stop Al from shooting 3's if he doesn't want him taking them. I don't believe for a minute that Bud will not pull someone that continues to do things that Bud does not want him to do. He has way too much power now to be the type of coach that Woody was.

Yeah, Al has given some questionable efforts. There was a game a while back where Al failed to make any effort to get a big loose ball in the 4th period. I think it was the 2nd game against Minny. Clearly, he is not giving the effort that we expect from him. I thought Al had more character than what he has.... I mean, Millsap did not just play softer in a contract year... And he has played some of his best ball so far this year.

I think it's a combination of Bud and Al both that is the problem.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

We would be fools to not see that Al is regressing.  He's not getting better and it may be age related?  You're right that Bud has a hand in there because Bud is not pulling him.  But GM Bud has to tell Coach Bud that we need to keep Al's value high.  I don't know how that conversation goes.   The real question as it pertains to Bud is is there a need to bring somebody else in to be GM?

As far as Al is concerned, the question is do we want to be left holding the bag when he goes up for a new contract?

In the words of Kevin Hart...  "Al, Are you done?".

c92b7cde8081318da3a37a97301691c3.jpg

46 minutes ago, ATLSmith said:

It's early in the season so Al taking a few threes each game isn't tue end of the world. It's not the reason we are loosing games anyway.

Al started slow last year and I gave him a pass because he was coming off his 2nd torn pec - I didn't expect this again to start the season. I expected him to be locked in, 2nd year in Bud's system,  contract year and all.  

His low defensive rebounding numbers and lack of freethrows are troubling.   I can't say if he's regressing or it's a Bud thing or some combination,  all I know is I don't like what I'm seeing. My expectations were higher for him.

• Moderators

Al is not having a great season so far but geez let's be realistic.   16/7/3 assists and shooting 35% from 3.    Sure he needs to get better in a lot of areas but the idea that he's physically on a down turn is premature.   I'm sure there are tons of teams who will take him off our hands.  

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Al is not having a great season so far but geez let's be realistic.   16/7/3 assists and shooting 35% from 3.    Sure he needs to get better in a lot of areas but the idea that he's physically on a down turn is premature.   I'm sure there are tons of teams who will take him off our hands.  

What will they give??

Sorry mac,  Horf is a good player but we are a poor rebounding team.   In years past, Horf's efficiency and effort made up for his lack of physical presence in the lane.  We're not seeing that at the start of this year.  Remember, he's always floated towards playing the 4.   IN his contract year, maybe he's trying to repackage himself as a 4.   Also, if you have had 2 torn pecs before... wouldn't you want to preserve yourself going into your biggest contract year?

I like Al, but I don't know if I see him pushing that effort button and it may be because he doesn't want to risk injury??

If I'm BudCox... I'm taking phone calls and listening to offers.  Unless you want to just reup him now and hope that his effort improves.

25 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

B

The problem with Horford isn't him jacking up 3s, especially when he's now shooting 37% from 3.  The problem is that we need him playing like a big man on defense and on the boards.

Diesel comparing Horford to Pero is just blasphemous.  Pero literally had no offensive talent other than shooting 3s at a 30% clip.  And that dude didn't rebound at all.

Horford just needs to be consistently good, if he's not going to be great on most nights.  No more 5 rebound nights, unless he's going to supplement that with 25+ points.

Yep, my complaint has been with Al's effort in general and in particular getting defensive rebounds and getting to the freethrow line. I said previously I'll live with his 3 pointers if he gives me at least 8 rebounds a game.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

B

The problem with Horford isn't him jacking up 3s, especially when he's now shooting 37% from 3.  The problem is that we need him playing like a big man on defense and on the boards.

Diesel comparing Horford to Pero is just blasphemous.  Pero literally had no offensive talent other than shooting 3s at a 30% clip.  And that dude didn't rebound at all.

Horford just needs to be consistently good, if he's not going to be great on most nights.  No more 5 rebound nights, unless he's going to supplement that with 25+ points.

You are right... it is blasphemous, however, I didn't set the environment for that comparison to be made.  If Al bucks up and plays the way that we know he can play.. Like JayBird, I will happily take the finger.  However, if he comes back out and plays another uninspired game, the comparison will come back.  He even has you asking him to balance those 5 and below rebounding games with a 25 point effort.  That's what's missing.  Effort.  Some nights, he's very reminenscent of Pero because his feet are stuck to the three point line and he's not making the effort to do anything more than that.   Like You, I don't mind him shooting them if he's hitting them and stretching the defense.  I liked Jack Sikma.  However, he has to be a force on the defensive boards too. Box out.  Be consistent.  Every night.   Honestly,  look at Mike Muscala and the other mike and see that they do play the same way as Horf but gives more effort on the defensive glass.

The end of the year is coming.  Al wants his payday.  My question is will we be paying him for what he's already done or will we be paying him for what he will do in the future?  Second question... if it's the latter, will you feel good about it giving what's he's doing now?

I think Horford isn't the same due to having a kid...lol seriously, I heard they keep you up all night.

ps...Have you guys seen Horford's daughter? Got to be the cutest kid I've seen in a minute. 

34 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think Horford isn't the same due to having a kid...lol seriously, I heard they keep you up all night.

ps...Have you guys seen Horford's daughter? Got to be the cutest kid I've seen in a minute. 

@Spud2Nique  Thought he had a son?

Horford said earlier this season he and his wife, Amelia Vega, were expected their first child in March.

The wife of the Hawks center gave birth to a son, Ean Horford Vega, Monday.