• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Preview: Knicks at Hawks (7:30 PM Tip!)

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

I'm not seeing it.  What I did see in those three games that is concerning was a continuation of how the Hawks were beat in the playoffs.  Attack the glass, take away their dribble penetration forcing the guards to shoot from the perimeter and just shadow Korver.  If the Hawks played those teams again, I do see the same thing happening because the Hawks as is can't counteract those strategies.  And while Cleveland isn't the best team ( the Warriors are), when healthy, they are a great team.  If you don't consider Cleveland to be a great team, do you consider the Hawks to be?

Everyone "knows" that the current Cleveland team AND the team they had last season is the

very best NBA team ever to exist.  Just because they "accidently" slipped up and allowed the

western division team to come away with the championship of the NBA, we all know that

something terribly bad happened to cause the defeat.

Does any one remember how many three point shots the Cavs hit last season in the playoffs

against the Hawks?  We had no way to stop these.  They hit more threes in this series than they

could have in practice before the game. 

Just like the Charlotte NFL team, I'm sure that the Cavs expect never lose another game.  Ever!

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Horford does so much that makes it possible for him to have the success he has, NOT the other way around.

Used to feel this way but after a little more research I no longer feel that this is the main case and it can’t be boasted as being the main case off of what happened in 13/14. Because of three things…

1.   Everyone else got hurt (26-15 with the top two lineups, after Horford got hurt, only 18 games was played with the secondary starting lineup, 12-29 with any lineup that excluded Millsap/Korver/Carroll/Teague which is awful, it’s a 24 win pace)

2.   The defense frankly wasn’t any good. I’m not sure that just bringing back Horford alone without bringing in good defensive backup guards makes a 22 win difference. Maybe 12 at the most but more likely 10.

3.   Rookie head coach.

vor einer Stunde, Jody23 sagte:

I'm not seeing it.  What I did see in those three games that is concerning was a continuation of how the Hawks were beat in the playoffs.  Attack the glass, take away their dribble penetration forcing the guards to shoot from the perimeter and just shadow Korver.  If the Hawks played those teams again, I do see the same thing happening because the Hawks as is can't counteract those strategies.  And while Cleveland isn't the best team ( the Warriors are), when healthy, they are a great team.  If you don't consider Cleveland to be a great team, do you consider the Hawks to be?

Thats why you have to be on your B's and Q's regarding your strengths....

15 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Exciting to see this team string some wins together.  However, this team will never compete with Cleveland and that's too bad.

Wouldn't be so sure about that.  We may make em sweat this season....or not.  I think by the time the playoffs roll around, we are better than last year.

Thabo is just about as valuable as DeMarre and Baze was ready for more minutes.   We added Splitter--hopefully he pays off in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Jody23 said:

I'd venture to say you should look deeper.  The reasons we lost to them in the playoffs aren't the same reasons we got beat this season IMHO.

No, I don't consider us a great team either.

34 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd venture to say you should look deeper.  The reasons we lost to them in the playoffs aren't the same reasons we got beat this season IMHO.

Suspect you think it’s mostly about not competing, and I actually agree. I respect great defense but if you’re scoring just 25 in a half, it honestly gets to more about you being flat out scared of an opponent and blowing open layups and jumpers, or you have major locker room issues, and it looks like it was exclusively the former (as an example).

And focusing on Cleveland, it looks like what happened is Tristan Thompson has worked his way deep into Al Horford and Paul Millsap’s head. I’ll tell you what, if another Cleveland series happens, Horford better EARN his hype from some of the people here at the least. If he has the ability to drop 20 and 10….DO IT! Or else he’s going to continue to be all hype, no results.

I suppose guys like Supes and bumpyphish will be happy with being Memphis East, with absolutely ZERO shot at a championship. Even letting Horford exclusively play PF is not going to lead to a championship, he’s not going to win one in Atlanta, bookmark this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Suspect you think it’s mostly about not competing, and I actually agree. I respect great defense but if you’re scoring just 25 in a half, it honestly gets to more about you being flat out scared of an opponent and blowing open layups and jumpers, or you have major locker room issues, and it looks like it was exclusively the former (as an example).

And focusing on Cleveland, it looks like what happened is Tristan Thompson has worked his way deep into Al Horford and Paul Millsap’s head. I’ll tell you what, if another Cleveland series happens, Horford better EARN his hype from some of the people here at the least. If he has the ability to drop 20 and 10….DO IT! Or else he’s going to continue to be all hype, no results.

I suppose guys like Supes and bumpyphish will be happy with being Memphis East, with absolutely ZERO shot at a championship. Even letting Horford exclusively play PF is not going to lead to a championship, he’s not going to win one in Atlanta, bookmark this.

That's exactly what I think it is/was.  The Hawks flat-out didn't compete.  Guys were injured for sure and I adjusted my expectations for that.  But, by and large, they got out-worked big time.  That's what I (think I) saw earlier this season when we were struggling but it appears Budz has at least tried to nip it in the bud.

Also agree with the nonsensical Horford hype.  He always says the right things and (as far as I know) is a great representative for the franchise.  However, there are way too many nights he should do more but just ... doesn't.  I don't buy him playing PF makes any difference.

So, in all, that's 2 things I now agree with Lurker on.  Why does that make me scared for my sanity (hehe).

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Wouldn't be so sure about that.  We may make em sweat this season....or not.  I think by the time the playoffs roll around, we are better than last year.

Thabo is just about as valuable as DeMarre and Baze was ready for more minutes.   We added Splitter--hopefully he pays off in the playoffs.

Yeah I don't think the Cavs are worried about that trio making "em sweat".  I like those guys, but they don't change the equation.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, kg01 said:

That's exactly what I think it is/was.  The Hawks flat-out didn't compete.  Guys were injured for sure and I adjusted my expectations for that.  But, by and large, they got out-worked big time.  That's what I (think I) saw earlier this season when we were struggling but it appears Budz has at least tried to nip it in the bud.

Also agree with the nonsensical Horford hype.  He always says the right things and (as far as I know) is a great representative for the franchise.  However, there are way too many nights he should do more but just ... doesn't.  I don't buy him playing PF makes any difference.

So, in all, that's 2 things I now agree with Lurker on.  Why does that make me scared for my sanity (hehe).

I'm confident that it's alot more than not competing, but we'll just disargree here and see what comes to fruition in the next time the Hawks play one of the league's elite and in the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 12/28/2015 at 11:04 AM, DS17Fanboy said:

Thats why you have to be on your B's and Q's regarding your strengths....

What does the bold text mean?

On 12/29/2015 at 9:14 PM, Jody23 said:

I'm confident that it's alot more than not competing, but we'll just disargree here and see what comes to fruition in the next time the Hawks play one of the league's elite and in the playoffs.

This team is looking more and more like what I expected from them last year:  a first or second round exit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

What does the bold text mean?

This team is looking more and more like what I expected from them last year:  a first or second round exit.

It's German for p's and q's.