• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

People are Overreacting

aali34

• Premium Member

Alot of people are questioning Budenholzers reasons for benching Schröder ,never playing Hardaway and keep on playing Korver.

Even though the Atlanta Hawks are not exactly like the spurs, one thing i feel that they are very similar to each other is the way they run the team. Coach Popovich is never afraid to cut someones playing time if they are not living up to his expectations. If you look at a few years back there was like a 6 or 7 game stretch where Danny green lost his starting spot to Marco Belinelli around the all star break and then earned it back. Even though Schröder may have had a few good games before getting benched, we don't know what happens during practice or if his games have a positive effect on the team winning. Plus, it's only been 2 games. This could just be an experiment to see which lineups work best, than they could go with a more specific set as the year goes on.

As for hardaway, this is a guy who has been playing for one of the worst  organizations in the nba (last year), he isn't familiar with the system ad that is why he is playing for the spurs D league team. The spurs are doing the exact same thing RIGHT NOW with point guard Ray Mccalum who last year was a regular contributor with the Sacramento Kings, another bad organization. I expect Hardaway to either play some minutes after all star weekend or not at all until next season, it depends on how well he does in Austin. Doesn't anyone remember when the same thing happened to Dennis?

As for korver, he is a vet whose future replacement is not even in the same state as him right now. No other wing on the team knows the system as well as him besides Thabo and Bazemore and one of them needs to be on the bench for defense. The only way for a shooter to regain his shooting touch is to keep shooting. I don't even care if he keeps missing, it at least makes it obvious that the team has to change a bit to be able to win without his shooting. Plus, wasn't he also a +15 when he was on the court during the knicks game that we lost? 

And for anyone who says the hawks are not the spurs, i agree with you to some point.

Budenholzer is not Popovich and Horford is not Duncan

but if your telling me that after staying with an organization for nearly a decade and a half and being a part of all that success that Bud wouldn't be doing a lot of the things that Popovich does, than your crazy. Just go to the spurs version of peach tree hoops called pounding the rock and read some articles regarding their younger prospects and you will see some similarities in how they use them. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Plus, wasn't he also a +15 when he was on the court during the knicks game that we lost?

He was a -13. I don't care if Korver is the only person that "knows the system". He's been terrible on D and due to the surgeries I don't think he's getting it back. He needs to be reduced to 20 MPG AT THE LEAST as a change.

• Moderators

Not so glad that THJr is now earning comparisons to Ray McCallum.

*  McCallum was a 2nd round pick.

*  The Spurs traded a future 2nd rounder for McCallum.

*  McCallum has played twice as much this year as THJr., his PER is 300% higher, and the difference between their WS/48 is roughly the same as Jeff Teague's WS/48.  

Is this really the new expectation for him?  Yikes.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't think you'll find a true fan on this board that doubts Bud as a coach. He's the man and I have 100% faith in whatever he does, even if I don't like it. I'm not happy with his rotations sometimes but I do appreciate the concept of player development/practice hard.

When you watch every single game you have the right to question it. Bud always will know best, but it is fair for him to be questioned. It obviously doesn't apply to the Squawk, but I remember a quote from Pop that I read recently.

"A synergy has to form between the owner, whoever his president is, whoever the GM is, whoever the coach is. There’s got to be a synergy where there’s a trust. There (are) no walls. There is no territory. Everything is discussed. Everything is fair game. Criticism is welcome, and when you have that, then you have a hell of an organization. That free flow through all those people is what really makes it work. And that includes everything from draft to Os and Xs. Nothing should be left to one area – only to the president, only to the GM, only to the coach – or the culture just doesn’t form. At least that’s what’s worked for us."

We do not have this yet. The man is an amazing coach but this is what makes the Spurs great--and Duncan.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Pero's max minutes last year destroys your argument.......................

You're going to die laughing when you read this (I know who you are as I lurked here for months beforehand) BUT...

Even though Antić was a poor 3 point shooter and provided seemingly nothing, he was a good screener and actually a better post defender than Splitter. Not even going to go into him having no offense at all but this has been missed by Schröder.

There's also another factor entirely with Pero that you are ignoring completely that involves Mike Scott, a big that you love. If you want Mike Scott to play, it only happens and works out well with two good defenders on the court with him, otherwise he is not playable at all unless he is unconscious offensively.

People suspect that his and Brand's leadership is missed alongside of this.

• Premium Member

Pero was a huge need, he was the third best big on the team,

right now Hardaway is the 4th shooting guard on the team. If we didn't have Bazemore or Patterson he obviously would be playing.

As for Maccalum vs Hardaway - 

Both are steals in their respective draft positions and could develop to be good players.

Just to let yall know I also want to see Hardaway too, but if Bud says he is not ready than he pobably isn't.

I would rather see him be able to contribute at a good level rather then watch him struggle 

Edited by aali34

As much as I hate to say it, I don't understand Bud playing Korver so many minutes.  Clearly he aint what he used to be (@#$% Dellavadova).  Also, I think Korver would fare better playing SF instead of SG.  He is not even close to being fast enough to guard SGs, and typically I would think SFs as a general rule might be just a tad slower.  I think the time has come to start Sefalosha and Bazemore, and play Korver off the bench for a lot less minutes.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't think it's overreacting because the shelf life of this team is pretty short.   Right now we are middle of the pack eastern conference which is where we've been for what a decade minus last year?   We can't slide back to this or we will be stuck here or worse for a while.   This team needs tweaking to stay near the top of the conference.    We'll see in the next month if we can make the moves necessary.    

• Like 4

• Moderators
14 hours ago, aali34 said:

Pero was a huge need, he was the third best big on the team,

right now Hardaway is the 4th shooting guard on the team. If we didn't have Bazemore or Patterson he obviously would be playing.

As for Maccalum vs Hardaway - 

Both are steals in their respective draft positions and could develop to be good players.

Just to let yall know I also want to see Hardaway too, but if Bud says he is not ready than he pobably isn't.

I would rather see him be able to contribute at a good level rather then watch him struggle 

Hardaway has been a steal for the Knicks.