• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Preview: Magic vs. Hawks (MLK Day! 5 PM Tip!)

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

At this point i don't see what we gave up for Hardaway to have any value yet.   It may turn out that way but the same can be said of Hardaway.     The league overvalues late first rounders.   It's like a new car.  They are worth way more before you pick than 6 months later aka Payne.     Maybe I'm not paying attention but i'm not seeing any picks that i'm pissed for the Hawks not getting.

As for Hardaway's shooting.  I just don't care that much, especially on the very small sample size.   What i care about, and i assume the reason we got him, is that he is the ONLY guy on the bench, and really the only guy outside of Millsap who has the skills to become a scorer and not just a shooter.   And we need that more than we need anything.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

At this point i don't see what we gave up for Hardaway to have any value yet.   It may turn out that way but the same can be said of Hardaway.     The league overvalues late first rounders.   It's like a new car.  They are worth way more before you pick than 6 months later aka Payne.     Maybe I'm not paying attention but i'm not seeing any picks that i'm pissed for the Hawks not getting.

As for Hardaway's shooting.  I just don't care that much, especially on the very small sample size.   What i care about, and i assume the reason we got him, is that he is the ONLY guy on the bench, and really the only guy outside of Millsap who has the skills to become a scorer and not just a shooter.   And we need that more than we need anything.  

Those two picks were 1 pick away from lottery picks.  Not late first rounders.  They are both the same pick where Kawhi Leonard was drafted and earlier picks than used for Teague, Dennis, Millsap, Korver, etc.  You can't piss those away.

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Agreed...I think I personally wouldn't have traded the #14 pick for Hardaway and just drafted Cameron Payne for us. But after him, I personally think there was nobody worth taking. There are a couple guys that I feel might turn out to be pretty good but they didn't fit our system. One is Bobby Portis, the 22nd pick and the other was Rondae Hollis Jefferson the 23rd pick. I guess the 27th pick as well, LN jr. Time will tell.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

Agreed...I think I personally wouldn't have traded the #14 pick for Hardaway and just drafted Cameron Payne for us. But after him, I personally think there was nobody worth taking. There are a couple guys that I feel might turn out to be pretty good but they didn't fit our system. One is Bobby Portis, the 22nd pick and the other was Rondae Hollis Jefferson the 23rd pick. I guess the 27th pick as well, LN jr. Time will tell.

Payne was the pick before us.  Washington selected Oubre with our pick.  Portis, Holland-Jefferson and others were available with our pick but not Payne.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Those two picks were 1 pick away from lottery picks.  Not late first rounders.  They are both the same pick where Kawhi Leonard was drafted and earlier picks than used for Teague, Dennis, Millsap, Korver, etc.  You can't piss those away.

You can't compare that position to other drafts to assign value to it.   IMO.     

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Payne was the pick before us.  Washington selected Oubre with our pick.  Portis, Holland-Jefferson and others were available with our pick but not Payne.

I was talking about Adreian Payne.   I'm sure we could have traded that pick for good value instead of picking Payne and getting nothing in return except a future pick.   Now i think getting that future pick is good but for a team trying to contend now i'd sure like to have a player instead.  

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

You can't compare that position to other drafts to assign value to it.   IMO.     

You can't compare two #15 picks to late first round picks.  There is a big difference between 15 and 30 as far as trade value in any draft.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I was talking about Adreian Payne.   I'm sure we could have traded that pick for good value instead of picking Payne and getting nothing in return except a future pick.   Now i think getting that future pick is good but for a team trying to contend now i'd sure like to have a player instead.  

I was responding to Spud2Nique's post about wanting to draft Cameron Payne.  I agree that we could have traded the #15 pick for better value than drafting Payne, sitting him on the bench and trading him for something outside of our control ranging from the #15 pick (best case) to the last pick in the second round (worst case) with that returning value years away.  I am glad that after we f'd up the pick that we cut bait while we could still get something.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I know that's why I said I wouldn't have traded the 14th pick for Hardaway because I think Payne is going to be a stud. But having the 15th pick seriously screwed us as far as the draft was concerned. Even though we would have had 3 point guards, I still would have taken Payne if we had the 14th pick or if he was available at 15. I just feel that once Payne and Booker were off the board, we had to look for other options.