• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This is what makes us Mad...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Talent for talent, we're better than Toronto.   Yet... They look like they are going somewhere and we look like we got tickets to the circus.  Al Horford is the problem that we don't address.  He's taking off this year.  When you have Millsap playing at an allstar level, you have to have that allstar C to step up or it would be better without him. 

Look at the mactchups though.

Teague/Schro  vs. Lowery/Joseph                                                   - Hawks

Korver/THJr vs. Derozen/Ross                                                       - Raptors

Bazemore/Thabo vs. Johnson/Coboco                                    -Hawks

Millsap/Scott vs. Scola/Patterson                                              -Hawks

Horford/Splitter vs. Valancinous/Biyombo                        -Hawks

Are  they really 6 games better than us?  It's not the talent.  It's the effort.  Horford as a Bawse... needs to put in more effort or he needs to go.

Horford for Ryan Anderson and Ajinca is looking nicer everyday.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Talent for talent, we're better than Toronto.   Yet... They look like they are going somewhere and we look like we got tickets to the circus.  Al Horford is the problem that we don't address.  He's taking off this year.  When you have Millsap playing at an allstar level, you have to have that allstar C to step up or it would be better without him. 

Look at the mactchups though.

Teague/Schro  vs. Lowery/Joseph                                                   - Hawks

Korver/THJr vs. Derozen/Ross                                                       - Raptors

Bazemore/Thabo vs. Johnson/Coboco                                    -Hawks

Millsap/Scott vs. Scola/Patterson                                              -Hawks

Horford/Splitter vs. Valancinous/Biyombo                        -Hawks

Are  they really 6 games better than us?  It's not the talent.  It's the effort.  Horford as a Bawse... needs to put in more effort or he needs to go.

Horford for Ryan Anderson and Ajinca is looking nicer everyday.

I argued last year that Teague was better than Lowry but i don't believe that anymore.    At least not hobbled Teague.    I think you have to look at it as backcourt/frontcourt and balance and they beat us this year everywhere.   Their backcourt is waaay better than ours.   To me SF and C are toss ups at best.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I argued last year that Teague was better than Lowry but i don't believe that anymore.    At least not hobbled Teague.    I think you have to look at it as backcourt/frontcourt and balance and they beat us this year everywhere.   Their backcourt is waaay better than ours.   To me SF and C are toss ups at best.

I agree that they have a better backcourt.  However,  their frontcourt and lack of depth altogether makes them very suspect.   We should have PF, C, and SF easily based on talent.   The difference is that their talent lacking Centers work harder than ours do.  They have adopted a strong team philosophy... something that we used to have.

The difference between us and TOR is effort and attitude.  I can't stand Lowery because he comes across so arrogant.  However, on the court, that attitude is why he was able to lead a near-20pt comeback against us on the road.  I don't like Derozan because he plays like a wannabe-Kobe.  However, that attitude is part of what drives him to be able to be a nightly 20+ scorer for them.

Their PF/C just plain out effort our guys despite being less talented.  Sap can hold his own but not without help.  I'm through bashing Alice at this point.  We know what's going on there.  We can just hope him not being able to coast into an all-star selection might make him think, "wait, maybe I actually do have to go all out".

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The difference between us and TOR is effort and attitude.  I can't stand Lowery because he comes across so arrogant.  However, on the court, that attitude is why he was able to lead a near-20pt comeback against us on the road.  I don't like Derozan because he plays like a wannabe-Kobe.  However, that attitude is part of what drives him to be able to be a nightly 20+ scorer for them.

Their PF/C just plain out effort our guys despite being less talented.  Sap can hold his own but not without help.  I'm through bashing Alice at this point.  We know what's going on there.  We can just hope him not being able to coast into an all-star selection might make him think, "wait, maybe I actually do have to go all out".

I don't know why JonasV isn't given more credit.   It's hard to make the case that he's not a better center this year than Al.     and I'd rather have Biyombo than Splitter right now.    Scola is nowhere near Sap but I wish Scola was our backup PF. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm through bashing Alice at this point.  We know what's going on there.  We can just hope him not being able to coast into an all-star selection might make him think, "wait, maybe I actually do have to go all out".

That's the thing.  Coaching should push that down his throat.  Maybe what we're seeing is what being an assistant for 16 years will never give you.. the ability to look a star in the face and tell him that he's not cutting it and benching his ass until he gets it.   Honestly, when you think of San Antonio, nobody had to discipline any of those players on Bud's watch because they were already motivated and POP did carry a stick that he never had to use.

What we have here is that our Hawks have learned best practices on the court... has experienced what really winning and being dominant feels like and are now trying to coast through the regular season as if they are Lebron and the Heat.  It is up to Bud to get over to them that how they play now will certainly carry over to the offseason.  Al is not a guy who can just turn it on when he feels like it.   Previously, I said it was Nick Van Exel or Quinn Snyder that used to whip these guys into shape when they played with no heart.  However, maybe... reevaluating... I think it may have been DMC.

"The guys who are blue-collar guys who play hard, you can tell that those guys have never had nothing handed to them," Carroll said. "Everything that they got, they earn. And then some guys that don't like all the bumps and bruises, you can tell that they had an easy-going life and it came natural to them."

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't know why JonasV isn't given more credit.   It's hard to make the case that he's not a better center this year than Al.     and I'd rather have Biyombo than Splitter right now.    Scola is nowhere near Sap but I wish Scola was our backup PF. 

I said this a month and a half ago and people weren't having it. Scola is a leader. We need someone like him.

53 minutes ago, Diesel said:

ROFLMAO

Lowry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Teague. Not even in the ball park at all. You're comically overrating Teague.

• Like 1

When is AL going to start going all out ... playoffs - I hope so, that seems like wishful thinking but, its not like EVERYONE cant see this, His PPG is the same as last season because he is doing the 3pt thing - now hes not hustling down low, so we exchanged one thing for another.    ONly hope is that Bud says he lets try and get Homefield adv into the playoffs dont worry really about top seed?

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

We have no 'bulldog'.  All our guys have the same temperament and court attitude (well except Dennis - that's why I like him, he just needs to grow and hone it in)

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have no 'bulldog'.  All our guys have the same temperament and court attitude (well except Dennis - that's why I like him, he just needs to grow and hone it in)

That's eggsactly what I'm getting at.  Well, I wouldn'tve used 'bulldog' in a positive light but you know what I mean.  How 'bout I say our guys don't have that sting in 'em.

Also agree that's why you can't get rid of Dennis.  He has that in him but can't control it for long stretches just yet.  Need to add like-minded pieces to really effect change IMHO.

I thought for sure Casey was gonna get the nod for All-Star Coach.  His team has been much more consistent and he's infinitely more respected throughout the league than David Blatt.  Selecting Tyronn Lue is beyond a joke.  And the game is in Toronto?  To his credit he's old school and has no use for unnecessary attention or bitching.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We gotta be honest, we don't have a single wingman on this roster and its killing us 

That's not really the problem.   When have you known a wing to take a team anywhere?

It's the leadership that we're missing.   You need leadership from the coach or leadership from a player.  While Horford has been called the leader, with him pulling a Smoove impression, he's proving that he's no leader.  We miss DMC.

1 hour ago, yungsta said:

The fact that the raptors are 7th in overall rebounding  (top 5 in defensive rebounding) while we are at the bottom in every rebounding category , I question if their frontcourt is better than ours too.

They work harder.  However, you wouldn't trade our guys for their guys.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dennis is not a leader.  Dennis is a selfish Heroballer.  That's why you like him.   When was the last time that Dennis sacrificed to make the team better?  That's what our offense is predicated on.  Making that extra pass to the more open man.  Dennis dribbles the life out of the offense and then seeks either his own shot or his own highlight pass.   Sheez.. bring back Iso Joe if that's what you want.

What Bud built was based on side to side ball movement with every guy getting a look.

You remember what happened the last time Dennis didn't play?  We have like 6 players in double figures and we won.

36 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You remember what happened the last time Dennis didn't play?  We have like 6 players in double figures and we won.

We also had Shelvin Mack nearly cost Atlanta the game against Houston, and he basically did the next game (was plus in +/- but helped to lose any momentum ATL had in the first half and triggered Zach Lowe to say "It's time for Atlanta to move Mack back to garbage time cleanup man".). ATL should have gone 0-2 against two very meh teams with Mack playing.

I think a lot of Mack supporters are remembering his career year and thinking that's his real self, not 14/15 where he regressed back to being a scrub and this season where he's continued to be a scrub.

39 minutes ago, Diesel said:

When was the last time that Dennis sacrificed to make the team better?

Watch the Denver 2nd quarter run. He made the right choice every time down the court on offense. I did not see him take any contested jumpers, he only attacked the rim, took the open jumper, or deferred if he didn't see either available. And in the 2nd half vs Phoenix he was the best PG, and it was not close. 1st half was bad.