• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Preview: Hawks at heat

lethalweapon3

Exactly. Teague was supposed to make a leap this year as more of a scorer with DMC gone and Al was supposed to better this year because he was not coming off of a season ending injury like the year before. I expected Al to play like he did in 2013  before he was injured giving us 18 ppg and 9rebs instead he chose his contract year to give his worst production since his last contract year. Based on that alone he does not deserve anywhere close to a max.  

Kyle needs to sit period and get his head back in to the game. It breaks my heart because I genuinely  respect his effort but he cannot produce anymore.

Bazemore needs to improve but he has generally been a bright spot all year so im not as upset. Any scoring from him was supposed to be a bonus and now its become a necessity.

Tiago is soft and gets blocked at a comedic rate. 

Dennis has been on a down swing but he is still developing so I have patience with him  as opposed to a vet like Teague. 

We need a more active big man in our rotation. An energizer type big with scrappyness.

Also we need to ditch a couple of these duplicate undersized skinny wings in favor of a true 3 man with abut of muscle mass who can be trusted to play both sides of the court. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, JTB said:

Y'all can blame Bazemore all you want fact is, is that he's a 5th option  that has been out playing the 2nd-4th option on offense the majority of the year and on defense for the most part.

He has had 3 bad games in a row but I'm not going to blame everything on a 5th option player before putting blame on Teague, Korver, & Horford. Sap I will exclude since he's been good for most of the year too...the man needs some help offensively and most his help shouldn't be coming from a 5th option offensive player.

EXACTLY.

Bazemoron is a 5th option. He shouldn't be thinking he's any better than that, but when he gets the ball he seems to forget that. Like JayBird said (and I couldn't think of a better analogy myself) he's playing like a headless chicken out there. I don't want him back next year. To me, he's nothing more than a Josh-type player. We will be better without him on the squad.

• Premium Member

We need this, we need that. We need a rebounding big, we need a starter SF. We need to trade this guy, and bench that one. Baze is good, Baze is bad, Al is soft, Blah, blah, blah...

Tha Hawks are playing a "system" that isn't new any more. Nobody is surprised by the Hawks nowadays. The worst teams of the league know exactly what to do to stop us, now just think about the good teams. Granted sometimes the Hawks will have great shooting nights and will be very difficult to beat, but these nights are becoming less and less frequent as time goes by.

Perhaps we don't need everything we think we need. Perhaps what we need is a HC that doesn't think he's the second coming of Popovich. He's not. He's not even a GM, but he certainly feels good with his status. I didn't think I would advocate Bud stepping down from his functions, but he's doing no good to the team. He's hurting the team trying to make the players fit his system, instead of creating a system that fits the players.

Hornacek has just been fired. I wonder whether we wouldn't benefit if we got someone else to coach this team. Bud is not working, maybe he's got the COY curse.

The problem with Baze all year has been that his team-mates are often not entirely sure what he's up to. He gets things stat-wise done at a good clip, but that element in the team-game is like a vortex of said team-game. Couple that to Korver being a vortex allround by himself, and you got yourself two positions that traditionally bring big parts of offensive-production being below par.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

We need this, we need that. We need a rebounding big, we need a starter SF. We need to trade this guy, and bench that one. Baze is good, Baze is bad, Al is soft, Blah, blah, blah...

Tha Hawks are playing a "system" that isn't new any more. Nobody is surprised by the Hawks nowadays. The worst teams of the league know exactly what to do to stop us, now just think about the good teams. Granted sometimes the Hawks will have great shooting nights and will be very difficult to beat, but these nights are becoming less and less frequent as time goes by.

Perhaps we don't need everything we think we need. Perhaps what we need is a HC that doesn't think he's the second coming of Popovich. He's not. He's not even a GM, but he certainly feels good with his status. I didn't think I would advocate Bud stepping down from his functions, but he's doing no good to the team. He's hurting the team trying to make the players fit his system, instead of creating a system that fits the players.

Hornacek has just been fired. I wonder whether we wouldn't benefit if we got someone else to coach this team. Bud is not working, maybe he's got the COY curse.

Luke Walton anyone?

• Premium Member

Bud the coach is not the issue.  Bud the team President hasn't gotten off to a great start, but we'll see where he goes from here.  The truth is, this group of players is not talented enough to overcome being flawed at critical positions.  Small point guards who can't shoot from the perimeter, undersized big men who can't protect the defensive backboard and playing shooting guards at small forward.  They're flawed pretty much everywhere.  Cleveland gave everyone the blueprint on how to play them and the league took notice.  Bud's system, which is still good and produces open shot opportunities, simply needs better talent.  This shouldn't be surprising because Ferry started constructing this team based more on cap flexibility and less on how the pieces fit together.

Yes we need a lot of things but what we need most is for Al, Jeff and Kyle to actually give us something MORE than what they have been giving us. Start there.

Like Bud said "maybe we just aren't good enough".  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes we need a lot of things but what we need most is for Al, Jeff and Kyle to actually give us something MORE than what they have been giving us. Start there.

Like Bud said "maybe we just aren't good enough".  

It's a good thing he said "we", because he himself isn't looking good enough nowadays.

• Moderators

I don't blame Bud for Teague, Korver, Al and Tiago blowing chunks for much of this season (relative to their potential and/or level they have played in the past).   I am sure he is pulling his hair out over what he has (or hasn't) gotten from his 3 non-Sap All-Stars and his big man Spur reserve.   I am still fully on board with Bud as coach.  Our GM has some big decisions to make over the next month or so, though.  It will be interesting.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Truth is, Bud IS a good coach. But he's experimenting too much. This Horford 3-point shooter thing is nonsense! Bazemore and Korver starting when it already became obvious they shouldn't is hurting our position in the standings.  Everyone and their mother already know how to defend the Hawks. Hell, I could "outcoach" Bud just saying "clog the paint and let them shoot. If they make it, so be it". It doesn't take much to defend this team. I want something different, not necessarily a new coach, but SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I want Bud to prove me wrong, and show me he can, in fact, think of other ways to outscore our opponent besides shooting that damn 3-ball.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't blame Bud for Teague, Korver, Al and Tiago blowing chunks for much of this season (relative to their potential and/or level they have played in the past).   I am sure he is pulling his hair out over what he has (or hasn't) gotten from his 3 non-Sap All-Stars and his big man Spur reserve.   I am still fully on board with Bud as coach.  Our GM has some big decisions to make over the next month or so, though.  It will be interesting.

Yep,

Teague can't hit a floater, a midrange or a rim shot - RIMPOTENCE.  And why is he taking his dear old time walking the ball up the floor - PUSH THE PACE.

Korver has a ton of 0-fers and his defense :bad:

Cement boots Al stay shooting 3's and not rebounding.

Tiago with fumblitist stone hands.

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep,

Teague can't hit a floater, a midrange or a rim shot - RIMPOTENCE.  And why is he taking his dear old time walking the ball up the floor - PUSH THE PACE.

Korver has a ton of 0-fers and his defense :bad:

Cement boots Al stay shooting 3's and not rebounding.

Tiago with fumblitist stone hands.

Lol at this point Al should try and bring back the timberland beige construction boots...those steel toe things got me a lotta ladies back in 93....:-X

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We're also seeing the downside of a 'nice guy' team.   These guys are all reasonable, professional people but there are times where it's good to call out your teammates.  If no one does that then everyone just sucks in silence.   

At least have a team meeting, lol.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

We're also seeing the downside of a 'nice guy' team.   These guys are all reasonable, professional people but there are times where it's good to call out your teammates.  If no one does that then everyone just sucks in silence.   

Well almost need a KG type guy in here(can't believe I said that just puked a bit in my mouth) to flick each players testicle area to see if there's anything there...I believe the kids call it a "ball tap"...lol

To painfully hit someone in the balls by the flick of the wrist and laugh on their behalf or roll on the ground if it is done to you.
I had 3 friend who were spending the night for 2 weeks while my parents were gone. They gave me a wedgie and pulled my boxers over my head. Every time I tried to pick it out they would hold me down and would each ball tap me 100 times. (I never got the wedgie out for the entire two weeks and I counted I was ball taped a total of 15,900 times).

Soft. Soft. Soft. I'm so sick of Horford and (to a lesser extent cuz of injuries) Teague and Korver. C'mon, y'all! Sap is busting his ass out there. We've got a bunch of garbage at the wings and a tremendously underperforming front court.

Question is, does Horford return to form after getting his contract? If not, I'm done with him. Hate to say it, he was my favorite player, but that's some softness right there.

• Like 1