• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could it be....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Could it be that Bud has been building up our bench in the middle of the night??

Understand, replacing DMC has been difficult.  However, Baze is playing pretty good.  Still, we got Thabo... Smokey Scott, we got Splitter, and now we got THJr to go with Schro.  Our bench is not the raggedy bench that we went into last playoffs with.  While we might not have the regular season record that we were hoping for, I have some pretty good thoughts about the playoffs.

Namely, we can beat most of the teams in the East.  We're deeper and more talented.   The only team that I'm not so sure about is Cleveland.  However, Cleveland better hope that Charlotte is not #8.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Shredder/THJr/Sef/GreatScott/Splitter is a starting 5 for half the league...

latest?cb=20130427114157

They can start, but start doing what?

Scott and Tiago are not starters.

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

latest?cb=20130427114157

Splitter started for the Spurs, but those daze are behind him. I was half-joking, notice I said for "half the league". That is one helluva bench though.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

I wish mike scott was a starter, hes got the potential.  Dman he pisses me off.  why did we get rid of lou williams again ?

Undersized, bad defense, didn't play well in our offense (potentially because of injury).  I still remember how bad I wanted Lou gone in his season after the ACL tear, so I think it was the right call at the time.

P.S.  Scott, a starter?  Let's not exaggerate because he's on a good game streak.  When he isn't rolling on offense, he really doesn't provide much.

While I agree that our bench as a whole is deeper and stronger this year, I fail to see how it will help us come playoff time unless there Is injury or severe foul trouble. No matter how much depth you have lineups WILL shrink in the playoffs by both number of players and amount of minutes. You wont see 5 man bench units on the floor unless the game is lopsided which based on how we have played all year against good teams isn't that likely (unless we get a game 3 against the Wizards scenario).

The only players off our bench that you could expect to receive maybe 20 mins are Dennis, Thabo, and Splitter. That's it.

11 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Don't forget that once his charges go to trial ... Scott potentially is  going away for a long time if found guilty

Lol no he won't. When was the last time an NBA/NFL/MLB player went to jail for drugs? 

I'm not impressed by the bench mob.  We've gotten less than 2 rebounds a game from 14 feet of Moose and Edy.  They've been in this system long enough, I hate seeing the squad  continuously mauled on the glass.  

I know they have their shortcomings but I was sure they'd be contributing more than they have this year.  Muscala'a playoff PER was 15 last year.

I can't get too high on Mike Scott "who!" Mike Scott either.  He will disappear for a stretch this year, hopefully it comes before Spring and he gets back in the groove. He has been working on his shot selection and types around the rim, though.  I can't take those blown Antwan Jamison quick lays...

• Like 1

Y'all are misunderstanding my words. Never said anything about Splitter and/or Scott starting for the Hawks. Nor for half the league...

16 minutes ago, hazer said:

Y'all are misunderstanding my words. Never said anything about Splitter and/or Scott starting for the Hawks. Nor for half the league...

Splitter could start on some bad teams and do well. Scott is not a starter for no NBA teams

• Premium Member
On 2/5/2016 at 1:14 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

While I agree that our bench as a whole is deeper and stronger this year, I fail to see how it will help us come playoff time unless there Is injury or severe foul trouble. No matter how much depth you have lineups WILL shrink in the playoffs by both number of players and amount of minutes. You wont see 5 man bench units on the floor unless the game is lopsided which based on how we have played all year against good teams isn't that likely (unless we get a game 3 against the Wizards scenario).

The only players off our bench that you could expect to receive maybe 20 mins are Dennis, Thabo, and Splitter. That's it.

I take the other approach.  I look at our bench as reserves.. Not 5 man bench rotations.  So what Im saying is that the gap is decreasing between the talent level and play level of our starters vs. our reserves.  Therefore, in the playoffs, we can have seemless transitions and rest players better.  Last year, it was halfway horrible when our starters went to the bench.  Especially when Stro came in for Teague and Baze came in for Korver.  I don't think we have the same issue this year.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I'm not impressed by the bench mob.  We've gotten less than 2 rebounds a game from 14 feet of Moose and Edy.  They've been in this system long enough, I hate seeing the squad  continuously mauled on the glass.  

I know they have their shortcomings but I was sure they'd be contributing more than they have this year.  Muscala'a playoff PER was 15 last year.

I can't get too high on Mike Scott "who!" Mike Scott either.  He will disappear for a stretch this year, hopefully it comes before Spring and he gets back in the groove. He has been working on his shot selection and types around the rim, though.  I can't take those blown Antwan Jamison quick lays...

I agree.  The boards will have to be addressed.  That may be in the form of trade or that may be in the form of our vets doing what they're supposed to do when the games get important.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I take the other approach.  I look at our bench as reserves.. Not 5 man bench rotations.  So what Im saying is that the gap is decreasing between the talent level and play level of our starters vs. our reserves.  Therefore, in the playoffs, we can have seemless transitions and rest players better.  Last year, it was halfway horrible when our starters went to the bench.  Especially when Stro came in for Teague and Baze came in for Korver.  I don't think we have the same issue this year.

Gotcha, in which case I agree

• Moderators
On February 5, 2016 at 11:49 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

latest?cb=20130427114157

Dennis is the only starter in that group.  Anyone else is a situational empty slot filler at best.  A group starved for defense on the wing?  Thabo can work.  Have a Hof pf and need a warm body?  Splitter could do.

What that group is well situated to do is to destroy the scrubs on other teams.