• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Trade Deadline Rumors

mrhonline

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Teague for George Hill plus filler seems to make the most sense to me.  

I'd love to move Splitter for a healthy and slightly better big--he has the value of a decent expiring deal.  What is the asking price for Robin Lopez?  Splitter plus a pick?  Let's do it. 

EDIT:  Actually he doesn't...we are stuck with this bum Splitter for another season.  What a disappointment he's been.

How does this make any sense??  Hill is not better than Teague!!!  In fact, Hill actually sucks.  Let me tell you where that rumor came from.  It's the 1 + 1 Speculation of dumb reporters.  They say... "Hawks may trade Teague.  Teague is from Indiana.  Hill played in the San Antonio system. hmmm... Teague for Hill..." then they claim Multiple sources.

Here let me show you how it's done...  Horford is on the block.  Horford is from Michigan...  hmmm...Horford and a first for Drummond and Jennings.   Then you sight something like Pistons upset that Drummond can't hit free throws... throw in multiple sources.  Get a sound bite of Horford saying he loves Michigan and then there you have it... Bonafide trade rumor.

basketball wise... does it make sense?  Hell no.

Basketballwise, does Teague for Hill make sense?  Hell no.  I mean, think about the basketball.  When you think Basketballwise, you forget about contracts and situations and just look at the 2 players.   So, no Dennis, no Teague Free Agency to come.  Would you make this trade based on the basketball?    Explain it to me and how it makes the most sense with the basketball??

• Like 3

How about Teague/Splitter for Tobias Harris and Jason Smith. (I didn't realize Harris was only 23 years old). I haven't studied his game much, but as usual he's lit us up. How'd he fit here? What's his defense like.

Dennis/Baze/Harris/Sap/Horford.

40 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The George Hill posts may very little to no sense. Wait till the offseason . JABARI PARKER might be available, Philly has offers for Teague and Orlando might be willing to make a real offer. We need him right now as Dennis still isn't ready yet.

Question:

When you say that Dennis is not ready, what do you mean?  Because the last thing I know that nobody is ready to do anything especially leading a team, sometimes you have to be thrown in the fire to see what you are made of.

So we have to see what Dennis can do full-time, if he is the PG of the future.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

1.  It happened with Smoove.   I think Smoove winning those slam dunk contest made him a household name nationally and gave the owners a reason to not trade him.  Right now, everybody is looking forward to Levine/Gordon II.  The ownership of Orlando has to see that and Harris is not having a world conquering year.

2.  I think Crowder would be perfect here.   He's a 3 and D guy.   He's doing 14/5 with almost 2 steals per and .352 from 3.   That's with Boston.  They are not as perimeter minded as us.

You're killing me, Diesel.

1. Winning the dunk contest nowadays is a negative more than a positive.  The fact that we failed to trade Smoov had more to do with him being a 'hometown boy' than the fact the won the dunk contest.  He was never a 'household name'.  Again, if ORL thinks the dunk contest pub will contribute to winning then more power to them.  Guarantees we'll never be last in the SE division I guess.

2. Nothing about Crowder says he'll ever be a star in that league, in any system.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I have just read through all 68 pages of rumors.  So here's my thoughts.

Blake Griffin is a trap.   He's injured for the rest of this year.  Don't know how much he can play next and he's going to be a free agent.  Sure he's a name. But if he pulls his ETO, we may be looking to move him next year at the deadline.  Point is that if we get Blake, we better have a team already built around him.   Here's the good about Blake.  He's very young.  He's a star.  He could probably do much damage in the East.  The bad... From a basketball standpoint, he's not better than Sap as a PF in our offense.  We'd have to change the way we play because he has no midrange/longrange game.

Again, you are literally killing me.  Blake isn't out for the season.  So what if he pulls his ETO.  That's a major trade piece for which we can get a package significant enough to rebuild our team for the next decade.

36 minutes ago, DS5 said:

I'm all for that three way trade if it can get us Winslow. Houston could also throw in Beverly, since they'd have Dragic. 

What do y'all see in Winslow?  I do. not. get. it.  He's a hustle guy at best.  He's a poor man's Jae Crowder who's not anyone I want to build my team around.  Second coming of Shane Battier.  Good piece to have, not a building block.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

1.  It happened with Smoove.   I think Smoove winning those slam dunk contest made him a household name nationally and gave the owners a reason to not trade him.  Right now, everybody is looking forward to Levine/Gordon II.  The ownership of Orlando has to see that and Harris is not having a world conquering year.

2.  I think Crowder would be perfect here.   He's a 3 and D guy.   He's doing 14/5 with almost 2 steals per and .352 from 3.   That's with Boston.  They are not as perimeter minded as us.

We're talking about the Atlanta Spirit Group, they never did anything that made basketball sense.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You don't make trades, just to make them.  There has to be a purpose behind them.

Some folks think if you ain't tradin', you ain't tryin'.

As an aside, I've become a big Isola fan.  This morning a guy calls in and suggest a Whiteside-Horford swap.  The exchange went something like this:

Guy: We (Heat) need to trade Whiteside.  He's a headcase, not as good a defender as the stats suggest (STTE).

Isola: "THEN WHY WOULD ATLANTA WANT TO TRADE FOR HIM?!?".

Guy: "Cause he's young and he has potential, blah, blah."

Isola: Then why do the Heat want to trade him?

Guy: Cause we don't want to resign him, he's a problem, etc.

Isola: "THEN WHY WOULD ATLANTA WANT TO TRADE FOR HIM?!?".

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You don't make trades, just to make them.  There has to be a purpose behind them.

Nobody said that. Plenty of people on this messageboard have proposed trades that make sense.  The Hawks are gonna do EXACTLY what Atlanta Spirit did and hold the fort by maxing Al Horford. ( Joe Johnson 2.0)  The ONLY way the Hawks trade is if they can rip somebody off, and it aint happening. Its just how they do business.

13 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Nobody said that. Plenty of people on this messageboard have proposed trades that make sense.  The Hawks are gonna do EXACTLY what Atlanta Spirit did and hold the fort by maxing Al Horford. ( Joe Johnson 2.0)  The ONLY way the Hawks trade is if they can rip somebody off, and it aint happening. Its just how they do business.

Can you explain why it's Joe Johnson 2.0?

50 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can you explain why it's Joe Johnson 2.0?

I think it's about a long and big contract for a player beyond his peak. But at least Joe doesn't shit his pants in clutch situations.

Edited by rd79

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

And let me add, if you think maxing Al is JJ2.0 then maxing Howard  would be JJ2.0 X2.

Al's caphold is $18 mil. Howard's  cap hold will be HIGHER than his current $22 million (approx.  around $27/$28 million).

You know what that means, even less CAPSPACE with Dwight to spend on free agents.

Add to  that, as @hawksfanatic pointed out, a Horford max is 30% of $89 mil while a Howard max is 35% of $89 mil.

So we  would have LESS free  agent money and a HIGHER salary with Dwight than Al.

Sounds good in  theory  and the 'star' factor etc.  but  trading for Dwight and maxing him makes less financial sense than keeping Al and maxing  him.

So  take your pick boys.  I know which  way I'm leaning.

• Premium Member

From Zach Lowe:

"On the flip side, some players crave that extra year of security. People close to Al Horford, another sell-off target about to hit free agency, say he will value that fifth year more than almost every other variable in his free-agency calculus. If teams see a crowded free-agent bidding war for a player they like, they might feel an urgency to acquire him now and use that fifth year to get a leg up in that bidding war."

"There are rumors that Howard would like to end up in Atlanta, his hometown, and the Hawks stand as the mid-tier seller who could dictate this deadline if they make Horford available. With the cap jumping, any non-contender with a 30-ish player approaching free agency has to at least gauge the trade market. Horford's pectoral issues raise some health concerns, but he has been healthy for two years, and his silky game figures to age well.

To put it politely, the league is skeptical this is anything more than a Hawks fishing expedition designed to gin up one crazy offer for Horford. Wes Wilcox, Atlanta's GM, is asking teams to "wow" him, sources say, and no one is biting.

The Hawks may not be fretting as much as it seems about Horford walking. Horford will look around, and he likes the idea of playing in a bigger media market with a larger Dominican population, per several sources familiar with the matter. But he also cherishes the continuity Atlanta has built, and the Hawks understand he is the keystone to their culture of selflessnes. If the Hawks keep Horford into the summer, they will have that extra fifth year in the quiver.

As for Howard, he doesn't fit Mike Budenholzer's system, he's older than Horford, and he's eligible for an even larger max contract.

A Jeff Teague deal is more likely, with the Bucks, Jazz, Nets, Knicks and perhaps even the Magic kicking the tires. The Bucks chased Teague in free agency three years ago, and they remain unconvinced that Michael Carter-Williams, coming off the bench again, is the long-term answer, league sources say."

6 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Interesting stuff from Lowe here.  He states Horford wants that five year deal.

That makes  it better for us in  a  trade of Al if he  WANTS a 5th  year.   Only  a  team with his Birds  rights can offer that.  So if you  trade for  him,  you basically have him.  that's  why we shouldn't take scraps.