• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tiago Splitter Injury

• Moderators

Milwaukee Bucks General Manager John Hammond announced today that the team has acquired a future second round draft pick from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for center Zaza Pachulia.

Pachulia appeared in 73 games (45 starts) for the Bucks this season, averaging 8.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game. He notched 15 double-doubles on the season – his most since the 2005-06 campaign – and set a Bucks franchise record by grabbing 18 offensive boards in a triple-overtime game vs. Brooklyn on March 20. Pachulia also started all six playoff games for the Bucks, averaging 6.7 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.7 steals in postseason action

SAN ANTONIO (July 9, 2015) – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have traded center Tiago Splitter to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for a protected 2017 second round draft pick and the draft rights to Georgios Printezis.

Splitter appeared in 52 games for the Silver and Black in 2014-15, averaging 8.2 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 19.8 minutes, while shooting .558 (169-303) from the floor. The center has appeared in 311 career NBA games, averaging 8.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 19.8 minutes, while shooting .560 (978-1,746) from the field.

Both July 9, 2015.    The wrong center came here.   Look at the rebound and assist difference plus Z makes much less.  You can't tell me that we didn't just jump on Splitter because he was with the Spurs.   This was a flat out failure to consider your options plus we make the Spurs stronger.   I'm not buying that there were a lot of people wanting to jump on Splitter at $9 mill for the next two years.      On top of that Z had played the full season with no injuries.  I realize you can't be on top of every trade but this one was bad, bad, bad.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Both July 9, 2015.    The wrong center came here.   Look at the rebound and assist difference plus Z makes much less.  You can't tell me that we didn't just jump on Splitter because he was with the Spurs.   This was a flat out failure to consider your options plus we make the Spurs stronger.   I'm not buying that there were a lot of people wanting to jump on Splitter at $9 mill for the next two years.      On top of that Z had played the full season with no injuries.  I realize you can't be on top of every trade but this one was bad, bad, bad.

I think based on the information available at the time the trades were made that both were very good trades for the Mavs and Hawks.  I am fine with the argument that the Mavs did better but I am sure a lot of teams would have wanted Splitter at that price.  So I am fine with criticism that we made the wrong choice but I think the information available at the time shows both trades in a good light.

(I'll also add that if Splitter has been hurt since November that this may have affected his stats this season -- particularly in light of the fact that they are all pretty much career lows based on per minute metrics).

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I think based on the information available at the time the trades were made that both were very good trades for the Mavs and Hawks.  I am fine with the argument that the Mavs did better but I am sure a lot of teams would have wanted Splitter at that price.  So I am fine with criticism that we made the wrong choice but I think the information available at the time shows both trades in a good light.

(I'll also add that if Splitter has been hurt since November that this may have affected his stats this season -- particularly in light of the fact that they are all pretty much career lows based on per minute metrics).

I know it's a hindsight argument but when you look at the performance, injury history, and salary i'm not sure how if you have a chance to choose one or the other you choose Splitter over Zaza.   The answer is obviously 'he knows the system' but that's just code for "i'm throwing my mentor a bone here".   The system for a backup big is simple to learn.  In fact Pero learned it quickly without ever playing in the NBA before.  

But really if you say we could have had the choice what do you point to that gives Splitter the edge?  Certainly not rebounding, ball handling, or passing....or shooting....or physicality......or size.   So what then?  (and we're talking about 4+ million dollars more for splitter and an extra year on his contract)

Well I really should say that the decision for Bud was probably "I love Splitter because I'm familiar with him"  but that's not a great thing to put over other things when evaluating players.

• Like 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I know it's a hindsight argument but when you look at the performance, injury history, and salary i'm not sure how if you have a chance to choose one or the other you choose Splitter over Zaza.   The answer is obviously 'he knows the system' but that's just code for "i'm throwing my mentor a bone here".   The system for a backup big is simple to learn.  In fact Pero learned it quickly without ever playing in the NBA before.  

But really if you say we could have had the choice what do you point to that gives Splitter the edge?  Certainly not rebounding, ball handling, or passing....or shooting....or physicality......or size  So what then?  (and we're talking about 4+ million dollars more for splitter and an extra year on his contract)

Well I really should say that the decision for Bud was probably "I love Splitter because I'm familiar with him"  but that's not a great thing to put over other things when evaluating players.

The main reason is defense - Zaza has never been considered a good defender while Splitter has been considered a solid defender.  

Beyond that there are numbers supporting Splitter in the categories you listed above and others:

Zaza career

14.4 PER

.461 FG% / 539 TS%

6.1 drb/36

0.6 bp36

2.1 ap36 / 2.3 to36 (0.91 A/TO ratio)

WS/48 .106

Splitter career

17.9 PER

.557 FG% / .599 TS%

6.4 drb/36

1.1 bp36

2.2 ap36 / 2.0 to36 (1.1 A/TO ratio)

WS/48 .179

• Premium Member

I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere, so forgive my laziness to look it up... can someone remind me if we qualify under these circumstances for a replacement player(?). I seem to recall we can apply to add a 16th player to the roster... no? And I seem to recall that we are allowed to obtain someone with as much as half the injured player's salary... no?

• Moderators
16 hours ago, AHF said:
16 hours ago, AHF said:

The main reason is defense - Zaza has never been considered a good defender while Splitter has been considered a solid defender.  

Beyond that there are numbers supporting Splitter in the categories you listed above and others:

Zaza career

14.4 PER

.461 FG% / 539 TS%

6.1 drb/36

0.6 bp36

2.1 ap36 / 2.3 to36 (0.91 A/TO ratio)

WS/48 .106

Splitter career

17.9 PER

.557 FG% / .599 TS%

6.4 drb/36

1.1 bp36

2.2 ap36 / 2.0 to36 (1.1 A/TO ratio)

WS/48 .179

Would have loved to see this Tiago in a Hawks uni.   For whatever reason he didn't make it to Atlanta.   There again we need a physical guy off the bench and I don't think that's ever been Splitter.   Bud should have known that but physical play doesn't seem to be Bud's priority.  Makes it hard come playoff time though.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Would have loved to see this Tiago in a Hawks uni.   For whatever reason he didn't make it to Atlanta.   There again we need a physical guy off the bench and I don't think that's ever been Splitter.   Bud should have known that but physical play doesn't seem to be Bud's priority.  Makes it hard come playoff time though.

Me too.  If he has been hurt since November...well, there were only 3 games in October so that may explain why he has struggled more this season.  Playoff time is the worst part of this.  While Splitter has missed plenty of games, he has never missed the entire playoffs -- until this year.

Damn shame Texas doesn't have a lemon law so that we can send Tiago back to the Spurs! I readily admit I was excited about getting him because he's a great fit for this system and we are a much better team with him. Never could have predicted he'd miss almost the entire season and the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1