• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tiago Splitter Injury

• 4 months later...

501930396.0.jpg

Tiago Splitter is working his way back hip surgery and seems to be moving quite well.

Tiago Splitter had season-ending hip surgery in late February and played appeared in just 36 games in his first season for the Atlanta Hawks. Splitter’s rehab appears to be going well and he has been chronicling his rehab via his Instragram account.

Splitter appears to be moving well, especially in the first video. While doing agility drills and running on the treadmill isn’t anywhere near the same as battling other NBA players in the post, it is a good sign to see Splitter moving pain free at this stage.

He was expected to be out approximately eight months which would put him on track for a return sometime in October. Splitter is entering the final year of a four-year deal that he signed in 2013 while a member of the San Antonio Spurs.

If healthy, Splitter could be a key piece for Atlanta as a backup center behind Dwight Howard.

17 minutes ago, hazer said:

A repaired Splitter for 70+ games behind D8 will be huge.

Seventy plus would be a great scenario for us. Both Tiago and Humph for the whole season seems possible if Humph gets plenty of time on the floor. Someone please flex Bud's ear a bit. You know why.

• Like 1

That reminds me, I meant to post this the other day and then forgot about it.

Tiago Splitter

What have the Spurs done without him (or without him healthy) in the playoffs the last two seasons? When BBall Breakdown editor Jesse Blanchard mentioned the value of Splitter's dives to the basket for the Spurs, here was ESPN's Zach Lowe's response:

When you listen to Hawks fans talk about Tiago Splitter, they generally think Bud traded for him solely as a favor to Gregg Popovich -- to help the Spurs open up cap space to sign LaMarcus Aldridge. Above is what some of the best minds in basketball media think about Splitter's value.

Contract status: Signed for $8,550,000 on a deal that expires next summer. The Hawks inherited his full Bird rights when they acquired him from the Spurs.

And some more of the twitter conversation going on in that thread:

All this really means is that this system really does work better with a big that can roll to the rim effectively. We'll finally have that now in Dwight. And it's obvious Splitter can and has done that job effectively as a backup. It's obvious the Spurs G.M. was concerned about losing that aspect from Splitter when he had to trade him to us.

And this should be one of those obvious types of things that don't show up in a box score, but illustrates some non-empirical value that Splitter brings to the table that the casual fan just doesn't understand well enough to appreciate. Being able to roll to the rim helps open things up for other players, but also helps cover up some players' weaknesses like what Blanchard pointed out about Manu using Splitter's dives to the rim to cover up Manu's lost step.

It's things like this when fans don't understand the true value of a player and then want him shipped out for a bag of peanuts, that really makes me want to put a whipped cream pie in da face.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:
  1. An @emoryhealthcare injury update: Tiago Splitter (hamstring strain) will be out a minimum of four weeks.

Edy will get his chance in the regular season with a good amount of minutes quicker than expected. He and Humph should keep it interesting for us with boards and blocking a few shots. Nice that both guys can shoot as well. Huge opportunity for Edy right now and the timing of this injury to Tiago maybe exactly what Edy needs to secure his future with us. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think it's time for the Splitter experiment to come to an end.

:resent:

So much unutilized potential. He dicked around a few years with the draft delaying his NBA start. I was hopeful the Hawks could squeeze a little more quality service out of him. Hope you're wrong, but you're probably more right than not.

21 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

:resent:

So much unutilized potential. He dicked around a few years with the draft delaying his NBA start. I was hopeful the Hawks could squeeze a little more quality service out of him. Hope you're wrong, but you're probably more right than not.

Don't get me wrong - a healthy Splitter can do wonders, but he 'just can't get right'. Time waits for no man.

This guy should just be stretched, if he were to get healthy I think he could help primarily as a passer but even if he gets there he'll probably just get hurt again after about 6 weeks. Stretch him and reward Tavares for improving (at least so far).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

It's a month. Let's not push the panic button just yet.

Considering he's been gone since February since his surgery - it's been longer.  I'm just not confident that he'll ever be fully healthy for any stretch of time.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

This guy should just be stretched, if he were to get healthy I think he could help primarily as a passer but even if he gets there he'll probably just get hurt again after about 6 weeks. Stretch him and reward Tavares for improving (at least so far).

No reason to stretch him since this is his last season on the books. The options are to trade him or release him outright and pay him or come to terms on a buyout.

• Moderators

This feels like a situation where he will be hurt and useless all year for us but if we cut him then we'll pay his full year salary and some contender needing a big man (like GS) will sign him for the minimum and he'll play valuable minutes for them in the regular season and especially the playoffs.  Screwed either way.

• Like 3