• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tiago Splitter Injury

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Don't get me wrong - a healthy Splitter can do wonders, but he 'just can't get right'. Time waits for no man.

What is this healthy Splitter that you speak of?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think it's time for the Splitter experiment to come to an end.

Nope.  I think this may work in our favor.  Let's play Edy early.  Let him get some PT and Experience and then when we hit the playoffs, we should have a good rotation of D8, Edy, and Splitter.  We will probably need his experience.   However, at the end of the season, Splitter is no longer our concern.. find another big. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Nope.  I think this may work in our favor.  Let's play Edy early.  Let him get some PT and Experience and then when we hit the playoffs, we should have a good rotation of D8, Edy, and Splitter.  We will probably need his experience.   However, at the end of the season, Splitter is no longer our concern.. find another big. 

I can live with that but my expectations are low.

Since trading for Tiago he really has become our Keystone Cop of injuries. How many parts of an athletes body can go wrong in just over a year with so little contact? All this and only thirty six games played for us with only a few minutes in each one. As Jaybird said expectations are low.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Since trading for Tiago he really has become our Keystone Cop of injuries. How many parts of an athletes body can go wrong in just over a year with so little contact? All this and only thirty six games played for us with only a few minutes in each one. As Jaybird said expectations are low.

I'm always willing to give young players a chance to develop, but as I get older my patience with injury prone players is low. I want players who can actually contribute. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm always willing to give young players a chance to develop, but as I get older my patience with injury prone players is low. I want players who can actually contribute. 

Agreed. I have no patience left for players who aren't reliable due to constant injuries. I'm also starting to lose patience for players who are always 'a year away from being a year away'. At a certain point either you're going to contribute or you're not.

• Premium Member

Splitter is the same injured bad player he always has been. He didn't have Duncan to hide behind last year in the few games he played and it showed. The only good thing is that this is his last year and we can finally be free of the mistake we made in getting him.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Splitter is the same injured bad player he always has been. He didn't have Duncan to hide behind last year in the few games he played and it showed. The only good thing is that this is his last year and we can finally be free of the mistake we made in getting him.

I really don't know but this seems closer to the truth than Splitter being the all important cog on a championship team.     The times he has played for us I've just been shocked how bad his hands are.   I bet he fumbles 50% of the passes sent his way.     He does know where to be on the court though.   Unfortunately he can't get on the court.   

• Like 1

I actually love this because I hope it gives Edy the chance to prove himself.  If he does, keep him as backup and we'll have Splitter as a third option.

I see no problem with that kind of big man depth.  It's good to have another 6 fouls, especially in the playoffs.

*Disclaimer - this all is under the huge assumption Splitter stays healthy when he comes back.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

I actually love this because I hope it gives Edy the chance to prove himself.  If he does, keep him as backup and we'll have Splitter as a third option.

I see no problem with that kind of big man depth.  It's good to have another 6 fouls, especially in the playoffs.

*Disclaimer - this all is under the huge assumption Splitter stays healthy when he comes back.

But we have 7 PF/Cs, 3 SFs, 3 SGs, 3 PGs.  One of our PGs is out for a while and 3  of the guard/wings are rookies.   Seems like it's a big that has to go.   

• Moderators
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

But we have 7 PF/Cs, 3 SFs, 3 SGs, 3 PGs.  One of our PGs is out for a while and 3  of the guard/wings are rookies.   Seems like it's a big that has to go.   

The challenge there is that bigs are much tougher to find than pgs and wings.  You can get a marginally competent wing/guard fill-in from the DL.  You have a much more shallow pool of big men.  Then you look at how many of our bigs have question marks and it isn't a no-brainer:

Howard - frequent injuries the last few years

Splitter - One uninterrupted injury since he came to Atlanta and just above Howard level in SA

Scott - could be gone for the year due to legal issues

Sap - hurt in preseason

That is the presumptive starter and first backup at both positions having questions on availability.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, AHF said:

The challenge there is that bigs are much tougher to find than pgs and wings.  You can get a marginally competent wing/guard fill-in from the DL.  You have a much more shallow pool of big men.  Then you look at how many of our bigs have question marks and it isn't a no-brainer:

Howard - frequent injuries the last few years

Splitter - One uninterrupted injury since he came to Atlanta and just above Howard level in SA

Scott - could be gone for the year due to legal issues

Sap - hurt in preseason

That is the presumptive starter and first backup at both positions having questions on availability.

But you can say that at PG too.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

But you can say that at PG too.

You really can't for two reasons:

(1)  The starter at PG and backup are healthy and present no real season style injury risk.  The only guy who presents that profile among the top 4 big men is Millsap.  Dwight, Tiago, and Scott present serious injury risks even if they are/were perfectly healthy today.

(2)  Replaceability.  You can find replacements off the street / out of the D-League much easier at PG than finding a competent big man.  Guys at Will Bynum's level will be there all year long.  

• 2 weeks later...

Risks be damned. Feel like going with a know quantity and quality in Dwight, Humph and Edy at C for now and hopefully much more if it works at all. We know as the Spurs probably knew you just can't count on Tiago to be on the floor much and especially by the end of the season when the playoffs come knocking. Eating over eight million is awful but at least we have a known rotation this way.