• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Do you all trust these guys?

Wurider05

Seriously do you guys trust these guys to make this team better? We probably make 0 moves and Al walks. Then we have a disgruntled Jeff Teague if he isnt already. Or we make a move and get fleeced or bring in more mediocre players that "fit the system". I honestly dont trust these guys. They are going to mess it up one way or another. I say tear it all down and keep dennis,edy,and hardaway jr.

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

Seriously do you guys trust these guys to make this team better? We probably make 0 moves and Al walks. Then we have a disgruntled Jeff Teague if he isnt already. Or we make a move and get fleeced or bring in more mediocre players that "fit the system". I honestly dont trust these guys. They are going to mess it up one way or another. I say tear it all down and keep dennis,edy,and hardaway jr.

It bothers me that we don't have Danny Ferry as GM.   

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GameTime said:

All I know is a Teague for George Hill trade makes us worse and Al more than likely walks as a result of it.

And..... trading Teague for potential is a rebuilding move regardless, so we might as well rebuild if we get rid of Teague for lesser talent.

You really think us adding some talented depth who could start sooner than later like Aaron Gordon and Oladipo or Jabari Parker makes us worse. I would say they make us better. Especially Jabari in our system.  The biggest issue with our team is Bazemore pairings in the starting lineup.  You just cannot replace your worst pairing player from last year while losing one of your best while playing him out of position and not expect him to have some growing pains. 

Honestly,  upgrading that SF position shouldn't be hard. He is giving us below average impact at that position in this system. We could get better from any talented 19 years old who fits the system and the role.

We need to upgrade the 2 and 3 spots in the starting lineup.  This has been an issue for a long time.  I fully expected this team to not improve this off season and they didn't.  Now the deadline is fast approaching and again nothing will happen for better or for worse.  My guess is they sit idle because that's all they know how to do.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Alex said:

We need to upgrade the 2 and 3 spots in the starting lineup.  This has been an issue for a long time.  I fully expected this team to not improve this off season and they didn't.  Now the deadline is fast approaching and again nothing will happen for better or for worse.  My guess is they sit idle because that's all they know how to do.

Yep, history repeats itself.  

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

we've never needed ferry more than we need him now. I still can't believe they fired him.

We don't need Ferry to fix this. His rep as the savior of this franchise is overblown. People act like he was genius enough to know that signing Demarre and Sap would result in a 60 win season and the ECF. I didn't buy it back then and I don't buy it now. He actually benefitted by getting fired when he did because he wasn't around long enough for this team's lack of talent to get pinned on him. Now Budcox gets to take the heat for decisions that Ferry made and would have made if he was still here. Sorry, but somebody had to say it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

Isn't blowing it up what many here have been begging for for years? Sounds like you guys will get your wish if they screw this up. It's not like this roster as currently is will win it all anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if we do, the Hawks may go through another 7 year period of not making the playoffs.  And after that 7 year drought, a team like this one will be celebrated as an "up and coming" squad, instead of a team that still has little shot at winning anything.

• Like 2

we've never needed ferry more than we need him now. I still can't believe they fired him.

Don't forget that Ferry is the one who failed to get Sap and DMC signed to 4 year deals. Right now we could have both of those guys for less than what Sap is making alone. Ferry failed with his draft picks of Bebe and Payne and he never made any big traded or acquired key pieces mid season to help us get better. I'm a fan of what Ferry did but I doubt we'd be much different with him here than we are with Budcox.

• Like 4

I think Ferry would know this team as currently constructed is never winning a title and that blowing it up is the only logical solution to potentially building a title contender.

Maybe but unless I'm mistaken Ferry has never been a part of blowing a team up. I don't know if he believes in that or could even do it well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think Ferry would know this team as currently constructed is never winning a title and that blowing it up is the only logical solution to potentially building a title contender.

There's absolutely no way to know that at all though.  In fact, nothing in his GM history shows a propensity or desire to rebuild/blow it up.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Ferry never won an NBA title as a player or a GM.   Give it a rest.

Not sure what this has to do with his competence as a GM.  That description makes it sound like you are endorsing Isiah Thomas or that you are critical of Sam Presti.  There are a handful of GMs who have a championship ring and the rest of them vary from really good to really terrible.  It matters which side of the spectrum you are on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure what this has to do with his competence as a GM.  That description makes it sound like you are endorsing Isiah Thomas or that you are critical of Sam Presti.  There are a handful of GMs who have a championship ring and the rest of them vary from really good to really terrible.  It matters which side of the spectrum you are on.

No what I'm saying is to say you don't trust Bud/Wilcox,  but do trust Ferry because he would "blah blah blah" is not reality.   Reality is Ferry built a 60 win team that most folks are now calling a fluke.  He is one of the few GM's who had Lebron and Shaq but did not win a title.   What in his history promotes this blind faith that he was the savior we let go?   All we have is history as a GM.  

http://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/ferryda01x.html

Where is this great GM pedigree you all cry about losing?  For Pete's sake I'm tired of it. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

No what I'm saying is to say you don't trust Bud/Wilcox,  but do trust Ferry because he would "blah blah blah" is not reality.   Reality is Ferry built a 60 win team that most folks are now calling a fluke.  He is one of the few GM's who had Lebron and Shaq but did not win a title.   What in his history promotes this blind faith that he was the savior we let go?   All we have is history as a GM.  

http://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/ferryda01x.html

Where is this great GM pedigree you all cry about losing?  For Pete's sake I'm tired of it. 

He built the most successful team in Atlanta history and did a good job managing the cap (i.e., he didn't sell out future flexibility to do it).  That earns him some credibility for me.  I  was skeptical of his hiring at first because I wasn't a fan of his time in Cleveland but I was a big fan of him getting a large contract and serious power because I thought we needed stability and autonomy for our GM.  

Firing Ferry for something that didn't warrant firing meant introducing instability (the vision changes when the man in charge changes) and there are at a minimum serious questions about Wilcox's autonomy as GM.  So I don't like that uncertainty coming in either.  I had hoped that we were looking at a new day for the Hawks where the ownership would hire a GM and get out of his way and let him sink or swim.  He swam and then Gearon jumped in the water and wrestled him until they drowned and now neither has a voice in the Hawks.

So I don't think Ferry was perfect but I am disappointed that he didn't get to play out his long-term vision for the team.  That and I think our offseason was rough.  Sap resigning was great.  I liked the Tiago trade but that looks like a bust at this point (it was looking busty before the injury).  I hated the THJr trade and think we failed to balance our roster.  So I have reservations.

• Like 3