• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

All Star Game Exciting??

Gray Mule

Tuned in to the all star game on TNT.  It was so exciting that I almost immediately fell asleep.

When I awoke, it was over.  All I saw in my brief look was an exhibition of three point shots,

uncontested lobs and dunks.  Apparently, from the box score and the final numbers, this

continued for the entire game.  Gee.  To me, a good D League game would be more exciting.

At least, those players make some sort of effort to play defense.  In my brief viewing, I saw

no evidence of defense and from the final score, there was none.  Pitiful. 

I hope everyone else here enjoyed the game.  I didn't.  At least, I got some really good sleep

out of the entire thing.  Now, all I have to worry about is the February 18th trade deadline.

:dry:

It was very hard to watch, I couldn't take it beyond the 1st half.  

It was much better back in the day because players weren't so worried abou getting injured, so the spirit of the game was semi-upheld.  Centers played like actual Center so there was much more variety in the offense.  Ultra-competitive guys like Jordan, Bird, Magic on to Garnett and Kobe would usually lead a defensive surge in the fourth quarters.

This millennial group allowed Westbrook to have a dunk contest (again) and Paul George his own three point shootout. It was a mockery.  Or I may just be getting old and cranky like you, Gray.

• Like 1

Only could stand watching a few minutes of it.  

A way to spice it up a little, would be to experiment with different rule changes within the game.

- designate last 3 minutes of 1st and 3rd quarters as a "power play" situation.   Have a team go 5 on 4 for 90 seconds, then 4 on 4 for 90 seconds.  Switch it up in the 3rd quarter.

- 4 point line ( shots from 30+ ft ). This would definitely add a different excitement level to that game.  And only a select few players make the shot.

- allow goaltending once a shot hits the rim during certain periods of the game. ( maybe during the power play part of the game )

- Player challenges in which fans are rewarded with prizes.

2 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Sadly for me I saw the players that we don't have on that level.  I love sap and I like Horf but they are not in the category of players.  

Yeah they don't seem to do well in the fast paced ball. 

I know a lot of people hate or love how the ASG in the MLB has meaninging to the game. I love it. I wish the NBA  would do the sme thing. Which ever conference wins it gets the homecourt advantage.  I think its fair.  It would definitely make the  ASG way more competitive and would attract more views.  

Also think it would change the way of fans or coaches picked for the ASG. If they did that, maybe add a few more roster spots to each conference which would prevent the snubs.

Edited by AHawks89

For me this game and the rising stars challange isn't basketball. It's a complete different sport and I really don't like it. It's an honor to be selected but not worth watching it. The only things that I'm interested in around ASG are the NBA inside discussions who should be selected and AS saturday (and this year I doesn't regret watching the Funk contest)

Edit: actually this time my mobile auto correction (for dunk) is funny, why I wont correct it 

Edited by rd79
  • Like 1

Current rules apparently now include this:

When your opponent has the ball, you may advance to their end of the floor in order to bring

the ball back to your side after they score.  You must, however, do nothing to prevent your

opponent from making his shots, over and over, until one goes in.

When I  started to watch, I foolishly believed that the dunk contest and the three point shooting

contest was over.  It wasn't.  It was a major part of the all star game.

Kinda related: Ray Allen was always one of my All-Time favorites, but I totally forgot he showed very well in a dunk contest.  That boy was cold.

Less related: just heard the Georgia Basketball coach say his team's defense "hasn't been as good as the numbers suggest."  I love to hear coaches say things like that.  It's what I thought when we supposedly had the stingiest defense in January.  Bud was proud of saying the defense was "trending up" but I didn't see it at all, not in the stratosphere of last January.  Just thought that was interesting.

Totally non-related: Forest Park's Own Hines Ward tore his ACL as a child and never had it repaired?  WTF?!  He only averaged 16 games a season for 14 years in the bloody AFC North.  Badass enough, guy?

Well wishes to Chris Bosh as well.  Hear it's more serious than first reported.  Always been a class guy.