• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who here trusts Horf?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think the question that guides whether or not we trade Horf is this...  Do you trust him?  I heard an interview that Horf gave at the allstar game.   Supposedly the "I'm not worried interview" and the question was put to him that the rumbles are that Hawks management are afraid that they won't be able to keep you in the offseason so they may trade you at the deadline.

Just that part (which is not the question) brings about a lot to think about.   Horf's max is 5 years 146 Million.   That's almost 30 million per year.  Now, I'm not trying to argue worth or value.  Just wanted to point this out... I don't think that the Hawks will spend that much to keep Al.  Its possible another team might.   Al talked about how much he loved the city and how much his family loved the city.  blah blah blah.  However, what the Hawks FO is probably trying to figure out is if they don't max Horf, will he leave?

So my question to the squawk...  Do you trust Horford to stay and take a less than max offer... even if some other team matches?

I think the front office and Bud are the only ones who know enough to answer this question but he seems like a high character guy.  We drafted him.  We can pay him the most.  I tend to trust him and tend to believe (and hope) we will resign him this office.

I'd say from what I read, I "trust him" as much as I am capable  of with any accuracy.  And, I think it'd be a huge mistake not to resign him.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Bump.  I wouldn't be surprised if we did resign him.  My main thought on that is how much would it cost us going forward.  Basketball wise, I now believe that Horf is doing what Bud wants him to do in all areas but defense.  I'm not one to listen to a whole lot of talk about effort and energy.  I realize that most nights, Horf faces a disadvantage.  However, something must be done now that Tiago is out.  That doesn't mean that we trade Horf but there's a basketball move coming.

To me, this is  Dominique/Manning in 1994 all over again.

Hawks didn't think they could afford Nique's impending contract, so they traded him for a younger and supposedly better player in Danny Manning.

But instead of testing to see what the market would actually pay for Nique, they trusted that they could throw big money at Manning and keep him.

Nique ended up getting about 55% of what was projected. ( 3yr/11 mill ... instead of 3yr/21 mill )

Compare that to the JJ situation.

With Joe Johnson, they didn't even let JJ hit the market, and just maxed him out.  Hawks options were very limited in that situation, because we didn't have the cap room to replace him. So they felt they HAD to overpay to keep him.

This isn't necessarily the situation with Horford.

Matter of fact, let me start a new thread.

• Like 1

Diesel liked Joe and doesn't like Horford since we know Joe's outcome so he's making the comparison but truth be told. As long as Al avoids serious injury,  he could play to 40 the way we use him now. Maybe under Woody trying to use him like a true center no but the way we use him now, he could play for along time.