• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

A perfect trade??.......that works

Admin

I saw this trade posted over at RealGM on the Hawks board and I immediately loved it, but didnt think it would actually work until I ran the deal through the trade checker. Its a 3 way with us, the Knicks, and the Jazz. Here is how it works:

Atlanta Hawks

Trade:

Jason Terry

Chris Crawford

Lee Nailon

Receive:

Charlie Ward

NYN 2004 1st round pick (Top 3 protected)

Cash from Utah

New York Knicks

Trade:

Charlie Ward

Kurt Thomas

2004 1st round pick (Top 3 protected)

Receive:

Jason Terry

Chris Crawford

Lee Nailon (waived)

2004 2nd round pick from Utah

Utah Jazz

Trade:

2004 2nd round pick

Cash

Receive:

Kurt Thomas

The Hawks get rid of JT and can buy out Wards expiring contract for 2 mil before Jan 10th and also add what should be a medium to high lotto pick in the coming draft in addition to the cap space. This will also allow for some time for Dickau to develope.

The Knicks lose Thomas and a high draft pick, but they are able to clear up some cap room and add a player that should be able to work in their backcourt, plus allow more for playing time for the newly activated Sweetney and someday Lampe.

The Jazz give up basically nothing and get a very solid PF who could help them get much better in the paint.

The Trade ID is: 1363166 on RealGM.com

I've brought up JT for Ward/1st several times, but never took the time to figure out a deal that would work.

I'd do it.

We get rid of JT's sorry ass. Ward has played pretty well for the Knicks this year. I'd let him start, but Dickau would get more minutes. JV could be cut, for all I care.

In the draft, we can pick up a quality big man like Howard or Pavel P. Knicks will also likely be in the lottery, so we could then grab a swingman or a PG like Nelson from St. Joe's.

Thats exactly my plan too. Buying out Ward would give us quite a bit of cap room to go after a decent FA next year in addition to our 2 high draft picks. If we get lucky and our draft picks (Howard and guard?) are able to contribute right away we could turn this thing around pretty quickly with a very young and hungry team that will have even more caproom in 05. I think that JV is one of the most underrated players in the game at the point. Its unfortunate that his hustle and defense is so underappreciated. Put a good defensive guard in the backcourt with him and I think people would take notice.

IMO, the guy we really missed out on this summer was Darrell Armstrong. He's the locker room leader this team needs. He's one of those grunt players who gives up their body for the good of the team. We don't have enough of those types of players.

At some point, the Hawks are going to decide that before they get better overall, they are going to have to get much better defensively. At some point, they are just going to have to decide to stick guys who are willing to scrap and play defense on the court. Guys who are looking for a job and want to stick in the NBA in some role. Something similar to what Orlando did in Doc Rivers's first year there. Jacque Vaughn fits that role because he will get out there and defend.

One guy who was underappreciated in Atlanta but was a gnat defensively was Brevin Knight. He was small and couldn't shoot, but that guy would absolutely hound the guy with the ball. He was a tremendous on the ball defender!

Mike Wilks was a guy who played the type of defense we need. For whatever reason, players like Wilks simply aren't appreciated.

IMO, Vaughn and Diaw should be our starting backcourt. That might not be a good shooting back court, but they will defend and feed the ball to Reef offensively.

I dont like the idea of Vaughn and Diaw starting together in the backcourt because while I think it could work, it really doesnt help our future as much as it could if we started Dickau and Diaw together. This is Dickau's 2nd year and we really dont know anything about his ability to make it at this level. If we are going to stink anyway, why not let him show us whether or not we have to commit some serious money or a very high draft pick towards a starting PG next year.

I think that this team definitely would have been better with DA. I thought that since the season opener and DA was all over us. He has been a rock for the Hornets this year. I cant understand for the life of me why we didnt go for him considering that he wanted to play for us (reportedly).

Wilks is definitely a guy that is missed around here as well. Is he even playing in the league this year? We got out at the right time on BK, he has been hurt for much of the time since we traded him.

i agree....

i like Vaughn in the sense that hes a true PG. he can pass and create well for others. he also plays defense. but what hurts me, is when he doesnt SHOOT. if he only knew how to shoot, he would be D Armstrong. I hate it how the opponents lay off the pressure on Vaughn and double Vaughn's pass man. that creates turnovers. Vaughn sometimes need to take a little floater or something.

Also, 24 second violation. when its like 3 seconds left and Vaughn has the ball, he wont take it... he tries to pass it. and then another turnover.

yes, we missed out on Armstrong.

and yes, Mike Wilks isint appreciated in this league... maybe its cuz hes not flashy? or supergood at anything.