• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr and Tiago Splitter trade - Revisited

NBASupes

• Moderators

I'll cop to it.  I liked the Splitter acquisition.  I do think he made a significant difference for the team when he was on the floor but he absolutely didn't meet expectations.  This injury just makes it look worse, but I think we'll see we miss him over the remainder of the season as well.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'll cop to it.  I liked the Splitter acquisition.  I do think he made a significant difference for the team when he was on the floor but he absolutely didn't meet expectations.  This injury just makes it look worse, but I think we'll see we miss him over the remainder of the season as well.  

I'll say he does make a very positive impact but his abilities were oversold to us. I question him as well and his athletic ability but his size is what got me the most. He seemed bigger in SA. Tim Hardaway Jr is who we though he was.

I was against the Hardaway trade for jump. People kept blaming the ineptness of the Knicks for this struggles but he has been pretty much the same player going back to his Michigan days.  Plus I thought a true sf was a bigger need than an inefficient sg that cant defend.

Splitter's injury history had me very cautious of that trade. Thought Zaza was a cheaper option that could actually hit the glass.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BackForThe2ndTime said:

Hardaway aside, the f*ckery we pulled in the draft left a sour taste in my mouth.  Were we just trying to be cute or what? I liked the Splitter acquisition at the time. Don't even remember the details, but things happen. Not as upset about that one.

Cap space for Splitter basically.  Good value at the time 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I liked the Splitter trade at the time. When I first saw him in a Hawks uniform he looked like he lost 30 pounds and about 5 inches. He had some moments and certainly helped, but that was mainly because he was the only guy who could play center. He never really looked that talented or comfortable when he actually played.

1 minute ago, cam1218 said:

I liked the Splitter trade at the time. When I first saw him in a Hawks uniform he looked like he lost 30 pounds and about 5 inches. He had some moments and certainly helped, but that was mainly because he was the only guy who could play center. He never really looked that talented or comfortable when he actually played.

Spurs being so much bigger, he just looked the part but Atlanta being so undersized, he didn't hit that mark.

28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Spurs being so much bigger, he just looked the part but Atlanta being so undersized, he didn't hit that mark.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? He'd look bigger beside undersized teammates, and vice versa. Edy time!

We have the story on Hardaway Jr. It's Atlanta was never planning on drafting a shiny new rookie in the '15 draft. They wanted to draft Payne and then trade him for someone else most likely, but they had to go scramble mode when he was drafted a pick earlier.

So if Payne doesn't go to OKC, Atlanta picks him, but trades him, and still doesn't have a shiny rookie from the '15 draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

We have the story on Hardaway Jr. It's Atlanta was never planning on drafting a shiny new rookie in the '15 draft. They wanted to draft Payne and then trade him for someone else most likely, but they had to go scramble mode when he was drafted a pick earlier.

So if Payne doesn't go to OKC, Atlanta picks him, but trades him, and still doesn't have a shiny rookie from the '15 draft.

Probably this.

6 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Tiago seemed like a no brainer at the time, I bet any team in the league would have  done that deal. Hardaway is a different story. both still have a chance to redeem themselves, like next season.

Yeah I thought Splitter could have been the Hawks' secret weapon in the playoffs.

Hardaway going to need to show something in the playoffs.

• Moderators

I'm not seeing how Splitter isn't a huge disappointment to everyone.    The 'impact' he shows is bunk.   When he was unavailable we were basically playing NO ONE in his place.   In other words Splitter was a lot better than just playing the starters more or going very-small ball.  

But even worse was the fact that his hands are terrible and he doesn't protect the paint at all.    As someone mentioned, Zaza was a cheaper option which is hilarious because after watching Splitter I'm unsure of anything he does better than Z.