• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Nique

On February 19, 2016 at 11:17 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Well let's keep track of the "jinx thing".  Let's see how accurate or inaccurate Nique is.

I wanna buy 3 bananas and shove them up Nique's holes! What do you think now @TheNorthCydeRises? He jinxed us like 5 times...omg I wish he'd just stfu and change jobs...that's one huge JINX by Nique ..:what an illiterate dumbass!!!

On 2/19/2016 at 2:59 PM, benhillboy said:

I wasn't going to rant but North did and I feel strongly so yeah.

You got your opinion @TheNorthCydeRises, we all respect it.  But most agree he's God-Awful.  King and Heinson are much more observant and articulate.  Carr may be Nique's equivalent.

It's phenomenal to see the conversations on every other teams' message board when they have to watch the Sports South feed.  I did it after almost every game last season to get opposing fans view of what we were doing.  Around the 2nd quarter they usually go like this:

Poster A: Who in Gods name is their color analyst?

Poster B: Believr it or not, it's Dominique Wilkins.

Poster C: Yeah, he's dreadful. 

Poster A: Really!!!  He has to be drinking up there

Poster B: He was such an underrated, great player.  You'd never know it by listening to him.

Poster C: If I hear him call Niko's shot awful agin

Poster A: Somebody please tell him it's "Kirk"

Poster B: if Niko shot was terrible what are Bazemore's air balls!!!  This guy lol

Poster A: the other guy is really struggling too

Poster C: the other guy sounds like a car auctioneer from the 70's

Poster D: Dominic sucks balls

Poster A: heat check lol

Poster E: finally a guy worse than Stacey

Poster C: much worse

...and so on.

These are mostly teens to mid-twenties.  They shouldn't even notice the commentators unless they exclaim.  For them to notice how bad he is means he's really f$&kin bad.

I don't believe in the jinxes, they're just embarrassing.  But "color" means inject life into the broadcast.  

His X's and O's perspective is as simple as you can get, and that's fine for kids I guess.  I understand everyone can't be Walt Frazier in terms of vernacular.  But I've never once heard him mention any information that would take some actual research and rubbing shoulders with other basketball men.

A great analyst knows if a player went to Wilt Chamberlain's high school.  Or if he majored in Rocket Science.  Or if his parents were killed in front of him.  Or how he takes more mid-range shots than any other 2 guard.  Or how many deflections he has on the season.  Or how he changed his offseason training.  Or how he's speaking out against  gun violence in his hometown.  

Nique NEVER provides information that brings extra facets to a game and endears you to the players.  He's lazy, plain and simple.  I'm lazy when it comes to washing dishes.  How can someone pay me well to talk basketball and I not totally immerse  myself in everything related to tonight's game?  

We all love the guy without question, disrespect isn't the issue.  But the Hawks follow us, as evidenced by Koonin's correspondence with Dol.  I'm pretty sure Ferry pointed to criticism of Nique here to support his complaints to the franchise about his commentary as well. He negatively effects the game for me and it's just not becoming of a franchise trying to be a progressive-thinking organization.

This exactly.  Most of the time I actually feel dumber from having listened to Nique. Him being a great player for the franchise is completely unrelated to him having skills as an analyst or broadcaster. There are no other tidbits of knowledge I get from him about the players' backgrounds or histories or off court life. I never hear anything relevant about strategy or X's & O's.  His handful of catch phrases are overused - "That's not a good shot right there" or "Heat check" etc. The mispronunciations, if intentional, would be funny. But as I can see no evidence that they are intentional, after awhile it just becomes embarrassing. For him to not be able to say the name of a Hawks player is pretty bad - "Sheldon Mack." But also one of the great players of our era - "Derek Nowinski" - is also embarrassing for the franchise. And some are just out there: remember when he called Kelly Olynyk "Kelly Oh-lick-it?" That one I thought maybe had a chance of being intentional, but given his other name failures I can't believe that it was. Stinger is so much better. He has a great understanding of the game and can communicate it effectively and engage the audience, without embarrassing the Hawks organization. I'll always appreciate Nique's game when he played here, but I find it harder and harder to listen to him. And why would you ever call a game before it's over? There are a lot of things that can happen in a short period of time in basketball and you'd think he'd know that from his years as a player. Plus it's just unprofessional to demean another team like that, especially when he does it five minutes into the game.

17 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I wanna buy 3 bananas and shove them up Nique's holes! What do you think now @TheNorthCydeRises? He jinxed us like 5 times...omg I wish he'd just stfu and change jobs...that's one huge JINX by Nique ..:what an illiterate dumbass!!!

Yup.  I'm not with you on where exactly you're putting these bananas or whatnot, but somebody needs to give that guy a talking to. Wish he'd taken those classes Ferry was talking about.

Little over 1 minute into 1st OT and 'Nique jinxed us by calling it for Hawks and we were only up by 5 or so points. Didn't take him long (1 game)...

• Like 1

So Nique is 0 - 1 in the "jinx" category.  Just keep in mind that "jinxes" don't lose games for the Hawks, poor execution and player effort does.

Nique's analysis throughout the game was spot on.  He sees what we all saw last night, while also pointing out that the Hawks could basically get anything they wanted on offense.

But when you're missing wide open 3s, can't make layups in traffic, and give up 27 second chance points off 17 offensive rebounds, you're in danger of blowing a game.

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So Nique is 0 - 1 in the "jinx" category.  Just keep in mind that "jinxes" don't lose games for the Hawks, poor execution and player effort does.

Nique's analysis throughout the game was spot on.  He sees what we all saw last night, while also pointing out that the Hawks could basically get anything they wanted on offense.

But when you're missing wide open 3s, can't make layups in traffic, and give up 27 second chance points off 17 offensive rebounds, you're in danger of blowing a game.

Agreed on all that. But this thread is strictly about Nique jinxing us. He opens his mouth and we are doomed. I'm not sure why he insists on predicting things at the end. Just stick to analysis Nique. Damn son.

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Right, so you would have thought that he'd notice that his claims of "the Hawks having all the momentum" and the Bucks "have no chance" would have been unfounded, right?  Yet there he was, banging the victory drum with the team struggling to keep a 1 point lead.  Don't talk of any "he's right until he's wrong" nonsense either, if you make the claim that a team is dominating while they are clearly not then you are wrong right off the bat, the opposing team doesn't actually have to win in that instance.

• Like 2