• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Howard talks about Al Horford and his 3pter

JTB

I wanted to share this video and acknowledge that the 3pter will make or break us especially against BIGGER centers we face off against this year. In this video you will hear Howard say how difficult it was for him to guard Horford as he drifted behind the 3pt line often on the night of December 29th, 2015 when Horford made about 5 or 6 threes on wide open attempts.

This is what "Bud Ball" is...Bud knows Horford isn't a huge center weight or height wise but as he has said lately he's not worried about defense, he's more worried about offense for the Hawks moving forward. With that being said if Horford can somehow be this Horford from December 29th, 2015 more often, he will indeed create a huge problem for opposing TRUE centers in this NBA league and could lead us far in the playoffs again this year. From my speculation from what Howard was saying...it's much harder to guard Al from the 3 than from the mid range shot since there's more ground for him to cover to contest the shot.

But as many hawk fans know it's no question that the the 3pt shot is extremely deadly especially from the PF & C positions if shots can be made. But The question for Bud and Horford is "Can horford become a deadly knock down 3pt shooter consistently ? and can we depend on that in the playoffs as it's horfords only real advantage on offense but a BIG one?"

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/teams/rockets/2015/12/30/1451450307347-dwight122915.mov-200148

Thanks for reading. Thoughts?

• Like 1

For me it's not so much him being a consistent 3 pt shooter.  It's the threat of him having a 3pt shot.  I don't just want him launchng at every opportunity.  Al's advantage is his quickness against centers when he's out at the 3 point line.  He can easily fake the 3 and get to the rim - that's what I would like to see more of.

If Al can give us AT LEAST 8 rebounds consistently, he can take as many 3's as he wants.  Don't want his 3 rebound nights.

4 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

Thoughts? Why you bringing up old shit?

I for one don't like it as it literally gives us no rebounders and no 2nd chance baskets when all of our guys are on the perimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup well Bud should have traded for a scoring star player like Blake Griffin or he should have traded for Howard himself with the idea of putting shooters all around him like in Orlando.

Bud said he's more worried about the offense than the defense. Well yes that's most teams that don't have a player that can score at will, now we have to force level b players to be spectacular at certain parts of their offense game so we can keep up! This problem could have been resolved if we gave more effort on trying to get and build around an actual star player ....newsflash most star players can drop 20 plus points , unfortunately we don't have one of those so we have to improvise.

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

For me it's not so much him being a consistent 3 pt shooter.  It's the threat of him having a 3pt shot.  I don't just want him launchng at every opportunity.  Al's advantage is his quickness against centers when he's out at the 3 point line.  He can easily fake the 3 and get to the rim - that's what I would like to see more of.

If Al can give us AT LEAST 8 rebounds consistently, he can take as many 3's as he wants.  Don't want his 3 rebound nights.

Yeah well the al horford we have grown to know don't do that. Putting the ball down on the ground and speeding past the opposing center? Yeah I don't think Al has the ability to  consistently do it or we would have seen it more by now. 

We play in a read and react type of offense if Horford  felt like he has this advantage what's stopping him? Lets face it horfords best ability is to shoot and that's how he's going to extend his career well into his late 30s.

I get we want more shots at the rim but in actuality we are doing that this season as we are high on the list in points in the paint. Horford will be a shooter in buds offense and Teague/Dennis sometimes Baze will be the inside shot makers as they drive, drive, & drive. That's bud ball or Spurs ball without a consistent low post threat (Duncan).

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

Thoughts? Why you bringing up old shit?

I for one don't like it as it literally gives us no rebounders and no 2nd chance baskets when all of our guys are on the perimeter.

Al is putting up near career high offensive rebounds.  It is the defensive side of the floor where he is struggling badly.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Spot on. There should never be a night where Al has more three point attempts than rebounds. I haven't gone through the stats but I bet that has happened a couple times this year.

• Like 1

Al is putting up near career high offensive rebounds.  It is the defensive side of the floor where he is struggling badly.

Career high or not that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be in the paint trying to get 1 or 2 more in a game or maybe deflect a ball to someone else. In addition if we are supposedly so good on D while being weak on O then shouldn't we be trying to get extra possessions and better shooting opportunities?

No team will ever win with all of their players hanging around the 3pt line.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JTB said:

Challenge!....Said the Warriors

Not really..
Bogut has taken "zero" 3 pointers  in the last for  4 years. Ezeli dosen't take 3s either.
On top of that  Bogut plays  10 fewer  minutes a game  than Horford ....and still out rebounds  Al  -  7.5  to 7.2 :ahf:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cam1218 said:

Spot on. There should never be a night where Al has more three point attempts than rebounds. I haven't gone through the stats but I bet that has happened a couple times this year.

7 times ...
5 Times , Al has attempted more 3s than  his rebound total.
2 times it was a tie

Also, he has attemped more 3 pointers than free throws over 40 times  in 55 games.... i think it's 43 , 

• Moderators

Checking back in - Al is no longer near career highs in offensive rebounds so that must have deteriorated as he got more minutes this season.  Problem is still primarily defensive:

Career Average  /  2015-16 Average

2.6 ORB/36         /     2.2 ORB/36  (-0.4 ORB/36)

8.5% ORB%        /       6.9% ORB%  (-1.6%)

7.0 DRB/36         /     5.6* DRB/36 (-1.4 ORB/36)

22.4% DRB%        /      17.0%** DRB%  (-1.6%)

* = Career low for complete season

** = Career low

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Checking back in - Al is no longer near career highs in offensive rebounds so that must have deteriorated as he got more minutes this season.  Problem is still primarily defensive:

Career Average  /  2015-16 Average

2.6 ORB/36         /     2.2 ORB/36  (-0.4 ORB/36)

8.5% ORB%        /       6.9% ORB%  (-1.6%)

7.0 DRB/36         /     5.6* DRB/36 (-1.4 ORB/36)

22.4% DRB%        /      17.0%** DRB%  (-1.6%)

* = Career low for complete season

** = Career low

No coincidence that he's also at career highs for 3-pointers taken and % too. Having a C who can spread the floor like that is great in this new NBA era. But if he's only going to be pulling down 6-7/night, GOTTA have a SF who's gonna get in there with Sap's 9 and snatch 7-8/night.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, hazer said:

No coincidence that he's also at career highs for 3-pointers taken and % too. Having a C who can spread the floor like that is great in this new NBA era. But if he's only going to be pulling down 6-7/night, GOTTA have a SF who's gonna get in there with Sap's 9 and snatch 7-8/night.

For me,  I just don't see any connection between the 3s and the career low defensive rebounding.  Kevin Love never seemed to have a big problem with that in Minnesota.  This year he is averaging 6.3 3pta/36 and 9.3 drb/36 versus career averages of 4.2 3pta/36 and 9.2 drb/36.  So he is shooting 50% more 3pters this season and still just above his career average for defensive rebounding.  By way of contrast, Al is shooting half the 3pters that Love is and grabbing half the rebounds (compared to Love - for his career is down 20% on his drb/36).

I just don't see the correlation or causation connecting 3pt attempts and work on the defensive boards.

• Like 2