• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Dennis Max Deal???

Vol4ever

12 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Philly talking big!   Messed up franchise right there imo.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/02/sixers-believe-dennis-Schröder-worthy-of-max-deal.html

So. Let me get this straight. The Hawks would have to MAX Dennis to keep him if the sixers are serious.  That means a MAX just to keep Dennis and Horford over the next couple of years.........Man.  

Remember, Mack is gone now.  This could get ugly for the Hawks.  They may be trotting out the SAME crew in 2017,  with ZERO cap space  and a depleted roster.

Edited by Hawkmoor

Who cares really?

Look at the money that guys like Brandon Knight, Reggie Jackson, Ricky Rubio and Eric Bledsoe got - max or close to max deals.  It's the new NBA, get used to it.

If he lives up to his PER36 numbers (~19 + 8) when getting this playing time some teams may pay that. Can he really put up this numbers? Start him and we'll find out.

But without knowing this, sixers may have only spread this rumor to frighten Bud losing him for nothing - if not willing to match a max - and push him to trade him for crap and a late 1st.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Isnt' this just another ploy to get the Hawks to trade him?   "you better trade him or will give him a max deal next year and you'll lose him for nothing".    If they believe he's that kind of player they didn't offer much for him.  

That was my reaction as well.  I read that and thought, "shot across the bow for RFA?"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

So. Let me get this straight. The Hawks would have to MAX Dennis to keep him if the sixers are serious.  That means a MAX just to keep Dennis and Horford over the next couple of years.........Man.  

Remember, Mack is gone now.  This could get ugly for the Hawks.  They may be trotting out the SAME crew in 2017,  with ZERO cap space  and a depleted roster.

Millsap got to get paid too. I could imagine his max could be starting off at 30 mil. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Millsap got to get paid too. I could imagine his max could be starting off at 30 mil. 

You know we don't HAVE to resign Millsap and we also don't HAVE to give him a max deal at age 32 when his contract expires, right.  

Is this really a concern? I mean say we did have to max Dennis in 2 years, how high can it really be?

From my understanding max deals are different for every player and I believe it's based on age and or experience or whatever individual success you had as a player like making ASGs or First/Second All NBA teams, etc.

Assuming I have atleast half of that right...what are we really talking with Dennis when it comes to a max deal for him? 48-66mil?....lower perhaps ?.....I mean the man hasn't even started a full season yet. I'm pretty sure he don't qualify for an Al Horford/Sap/ or even Teague type of max deal at this point of his career so what are we worried about?

3 hours ago, JTB said:

Is this really a concern? I mean say we did have to max Dennis in 2 years, how high can it really be?

From my understanding max deals are different for every player and I believe it's based on age and or experience or whatever individual success you had as a player like making ASGs or First/Second All NBA teams, etc.

Assuming I have atleast half of that right...what are we really talking with Dennis when it comes to a max deal for him? 48-66mil?....lower perhaps ?.....I mean the man hasn't even started a full season yet. I'm pretty sure he don't qualify for an Al Horford/Sap/ or even Teague type of max deal at this point of his career so what are we worried about?

No.

A max for Dennis will be 25% of whatever the salary cap is in 2017.

3 hours ago, JTB said:

Under current CBA it would be more like $145mil (5yrs, 7,5% rises, $25mil starting)?!

14 minutes ago, rd79 said:

Under current CBA it would be more like $145mil (5yrs, 7,5% rises, $25mil starting)?!

The current salary cap is $70 million, next year $89 million.

Dennis's max at 25% of $89 million is $22.25 million.

The question is wether he will accept an extension of the $89 as a RFA or wait until the cap is at $109 million then 25% of that is $27 million.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The question is wether he will accept an extension of the $89 as a RFA or wait until the cap is at $109 million then 25% of that is $27 million.

Either way, he's not worth it.  Nor will he be. 

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No, @rd79 has it right. Dennis' max is for the 2017--18 Season and if you believe the $108m Cap then it'll be around $25m. His 2016--17 salary is already locked in at a cool $2,708,582. I'd have to double check, but I don't think a renegotiation can even occur on a rookie contract so that value wouldn't increase if the Hawks even wanted to give him a higher salary next season.

The Max isn't literally 25% of the Cap. It's actually 25% of a Cap which uses 42.14% BRI instead of the 44.74% BRI that the Cap does.

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Either way, he's not worth it.  Nor will he be. 

OK Nostrodamus.

Wether he's worth it or not is really irrelevant.  All it takes is for one team to think that he is

2 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

No, @rd79 has it right. Dennis' max is for the 2017--18 Season and if you believe the $108m Cap then it'll be around $25m. His 2016--17 salary is already locked in at a cool $2,708,582. I'd have to double check, but I don't think a renegotiation can even occur on a rookie contract so that value wouldn't increase if the Hawks even wanted to give him a higher salary next season.

The Max isn't literally 25% of the Cap. It's actually 25% of a Cap which uses 42.14% BRI instead of the 44.74% BRI that the Cap does.

Yep, it's for the 2017/18 season not next which is when he'll be a RFA.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

OK Nostrodamus.

Wether he's worth it or not is really irrelevant.  All it takes is for one team to think that he is

We don't have to be that team.  Horf is not worth the max.  Sap is not worth the max.  Dennis nor Teague is worth the max.  I know we're going into a season of financial flexibility, but let's not lose our flexibility with players who we know aren't max worthy.  

The other day when asked his ceiling, I said Reggie Jackson.  What I mean is that everybody thought that Jackson would be a breakout star when he got out of the shawdows.  Well, what they found is that it's easier to be the 2nd stringer and look good that the first.  That takes nothing away from what Jackson is doing, he's still very good, but he's not a breakout superstar.  He's a better piece of the puzzle.  I see Dennis the same way.  He's not a breakout superstar... he's too selfish for that, but he'll be a good piece of the puzzle.

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

We don't have to be that team.  Horf is not worth the max.  Sap is not worth the max.  Dennis nor Teague is worth the max.  I know we're going into a season of financial flexibility, but let's not lose our flexibility with players who we know aren't max worthy.  

Accept it or not, bitch and complain about it or not - the term 'MAX deal is now so watered down it's not worth squat.

Sigh - lose financial flexibility???  

This is...................

dementors.gif