• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

THJr Watch...

Diesel

I really can't think of any reasonable scenario where I would like this trade.  Short of THJ  becoming a top 15 player at his position I just don't like it, and if he did we would likely lose him like we lost Carroll which makes that not a complete win either. Bottom line is Bobby Portis is already the better player and would be the best big off our bench as a rookie. RJ Hunter and Kelly Oubre (wasn't  a fan of) have shown just as many flash games and we would control all 3 players mentioned  on cheap contracts for 4-5 years. Tim  Hardaway is a below average nba player. The floor for the three  players I mentioned is probably below average player, so IMO it's is unlikely they would be markedly worse than THJ is now. When you couple this with the fact the NBA  salary cap is rising and below average veterans will get paid even more it doubles the stupidity of this trade. If he completly changes his career trajectory and magically moves to average by year end we will only have 1 year left on his contract. We will likely need to overpay him because of the influx of new cap money. The worst part about the trade is we traded essentially a lottery pick for a below average  player in hopes we could make him good. He likely could of been had for a second. We outbid ourselves because the guys we earmarked in the draft were gone and had no plan B. I like Tim Hardway it's not his fault we botched the draft and over payed. I wish him the best and I won't hold it against him.  If we got him for a second I would trumpeting the trade. IMO the opportunity cost was to high for this trade to be deemed favorable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Bobby Portis is already the better player and would be the best big off our bench as a rookie

Bobby Portis would be chilling on the bench or d league in Atlanta, even if he shouldn't be (RHJ and Oubre would be too). You're forgetting one of a couple major problems of coach, which is he's like Woodson with rookies, he refuses to play them at all unless he absolutely has to.

*or in d league

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

Over his last 10 games...

17.1 mpg,  5.9, 2.7rpg, 1.1apg,  shooting 44.9% from the field. 

Has THJr done enough to get

1.  More time on the floor?

2.  Serious consideration for next year?

He'll probably be the undisputed backup SG. I think he'll just be Korver's backup next season. Maybe he'll start in 2017.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, hazer said:

It's easy to be a cynic and doubter, it takes much more energy and effort and faith to take the long view and be a believer. Downstream/upstream :americanflag:

I lived through Marvin, Payne, Law, Shelden, Glover, Bebe, Jenkins, McLeod, etc.. Sometimes a bad move is just that.  We got some decent play at times out of Jimmy Jackson but the move was a mistake.  Let's see where this one goes.

12 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

............................  Short of THJ  becoming a top 15 player at his position

....................if he did we would likely lose him like we lost Carroll

........................we traded essentially a lottery pick

1. That's unrealistic as the the other draft picks being top 15 as well

2. That's not even close to true

3. No we didn't

12 hours ago, Lurker said:

Bobby Portis would be chilling on the bench or d league in Atlanta, even if he shouldn't be (RHJ and Oubre would be too). You're forgetting one of a couple major problems of coach, which is he's like Woodson with rookies, he refuses to play them at all unless he absolutely has to.

*or in d league

In fairness, what rookies have we had under Budz that deserved major playing time?  Dennis maybe but he was bad at times.

Portis wouldn't be playing if not for injuries in CHI.  Even so, it's not like he's been a world-beater.  He looked awful each time he's played vs us.  And what in the flying flip has Oubre done to deserve playing time so far?  If Beal's bone density didn't rival wet tissue, Oubre would be in the dleague right now.

ETA: We all have a tendency to vastly overrate rookies.  I get it.  I've done it too.  The reality is that there are very few rookies that warrant major playing time from day 1.  There are even rarer instances where a rookie warrants tanking for.  It's why I don't buy BOS as some future juggernaut.  They're chasing the mythical super-rookie who's not coming any time soon.  The reality is that good/great teams draft effectively, no matter where they pick, and build teams based on solid moovs.  Tanking only begets more tanking until you either get lucky (and stumble into a good team) or get fired.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

And what in the flying flip has Oubre done to deserve playing time so far?  If Beal's bone density didn't rival wet tissue, Oubre would be in the dleague right now.

Neither has been particularly good this season.

2015-16 Oubre  - THJr

Oubre THJr
FG% 40.8% 39.7%
3pt% 33.9% 25.0%
FT% 71.1% 95.8%
p/36 11.8 11.1
rb/36 6.7 4.2
a/36 0.7 2.4
s/36 1 1.3
b/36 0.4 0.4
PER 7.8 9.9
Minutes 536 452
Age 20.1 23.5
RFA 2019-20 2017-18

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Neither has been particularly good this season.

2015-16 Oubre  - THJr

Oubre THJr
FG% 40.8% 39.7%
3pt% 33.9% 25.0%
FT% 71.1% 95.8%
p/36 11.8 11.1
rb/36 6.7 4.2
a/36 0.7 2.4
s/36 1 1.3
b/36 0.4 0.4
PER 7.8 9.9
Minutes 536 452
Age 20.1 23.5
RFA 2019-20 2017-18

Sigh.  You and your made up nimbers.  What are their perWednesday stats?

I should create a perCareer stat that takes what they've done so far this year and extrapolated it over the average NBA career lifespan.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Sigh.  You and your made up nimbers.  What are their perWednesday stats?

I should create a perCareer stat that takes what they've done so far this year and extrapolated it over the average NBA career lifespan.

Forget the per stats then.

2015-16 Oubre  - THJr

Oubre THJr
FG% 40.8% 39.7%
3pt% 33.9% 25.0%
FT% 71.1% 95.8%
points 176 139
rebounds 100 53
assists 11 30
steals 15 12
blocks 6 5
PER 7.8 9.9
Minutes 536 452
Age 20.1 23.5
RFA 2019-20 2017-18

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

2015-16 Oubre  - THJr

Oubre THJr
FG% 40.8% 39.7%
3pt% 33.9% 25.0%
FT% 71.1% 95.8%
points 176 139
rebounds 100 53
assists 11 30
steals 15 12
blocks 6 5
PER 7.8 9.9
Minutes 536 452
Age 20.1 23.5
RFA 2019-20 2017-18

Quot+that+doesn+t+matter+quot+_cf05d9623

(new idea, so let me get your thoughts on this @kg01, anytime AHF posts about THjr someone has to post a butthurt picture)

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

2015-16 Oubre  - THJr

Oubre THJr
FG% 40.8% 39.7%
3pt% 33.9% 25.0%
FT% 71.1% 95.8%
points 176 139
rebounds 100 53
assists 11 30
steals 15 12
blocks 6 5
PER 7.8 9.9
Minutes 536 452
Age 20.1 23.5
RFA 2019-20 2017-18

Hey, I agree neither has been primeKobe.  I do believe Jr appears to be getting better which I think is the only relevant matter at this point.

At the end of the day, one is our guy and the other isn't so sorry if I'll continue giving our guy the benefit of the doubt.  I'm fully aware how irrational that is, and I not care.

@hawksfanatic I say post a 'butthurt' meme/gif whenever AHF posts no matter what the topic.  I'm kidding, AHF.  Don't tase me bro!

Just now, AHF said:

So we crap on Oubre's numbers and give THJr's a total pass.  Got it.

7072264583_07ab8ed5ef_z.jpg

Carry on.

Man, nobody said that.

Ok, fine.  His numbers are better.  Let's all go out and but smedium Oubre shirseys.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Man, nobody said that.

Ok, fine.  His numbers are better.  Let's all go out and but smedium Oubre shirseys.

Translation?  Is this 'let's buy medium jerseys'?

My straight take on these guys is that Oubre and Hardaway have both stunk this season.  Hardaway has looked better for the last 3 games so that gives me a ray of hope through the black cloud of his season.  Oubre is younger and has better contract terms for the long-term.

The most positive take I have is that for the rest of this season I'd rather have THJr and I can see him being a useful reserve if he fixes his broken 3pt shot.  Moreover, we have an intense need for wings with Korver having a horrible year and Bazemore hitting the wall so if THJr's better last week translates into consistentcy at that level then he could play an important role if this team goes anywhere in the postseason.  

• Moderators

If you look at Tim's stats in wins vs losses it's pretty striking.   He has flat our sucked in games we lost and been very good in games we won.    I'm sure for starters that's pretty typical but for 15 minute guys i wouldn't think it'd be that much different.  

This says less about Tim than it does about how badly we need him or someone to step up as a scorer on the wing.    I'm ready to bet on him because he can score in more than one way.  

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Translation?  Is this 'let's buy medium jerseys'?

My straight take on these guys is that Oubre and Hardaway have both stunk this season.  Hardaway has looked better for the last 3 games so that gives me a ray of hope through the black cloud of his season.  Oubre is younger and has better contract terms for the long-term.

The most positive take I have is that for the rest of this season I'd rather have THJr and I can see him being a useful reserve if he fixes his broken 3pt shot.

No, I mean buy smedium shirseys.  If you don't know what a shirsey is, look at those awful Mavericks shirts Mark Cuban used to wear all the time.  Smedium is what happens when you buy a medium Kentucky hoodie when you know you need that x-large.

My advice, just ride with your 'positive take' and stop trying to convince the rest of us to jump off the THJr ledge.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

No, I mean buy smedium shirseys.  If you don't know what a shirsey is, look at those awful Mavericks shirts Mark Cuban used to wear all the time.  Smedium is what happens when you buy a medium Kentucky hoodie when you know you need that x-large.

My advice, just ride with your 'positive take' and stop trying to convince the rest of us to jump off the THJr ledge.

I wear Extra-medium.  Where can i get one?   Ok I wear 2X-Medium....with the sleeves cut off.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm just going to keep calling it like I see it.  If THJr plays well, I will enjoy watching that and you will enjoy my take more.  If he goes back to rest of the season form, you won't enjoy hearing it and I won't like watching it.