• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Jazz

lethalweapon3

Awesome thread as usual lw3!!! I hadn't heard the name of Rafael, or Hoffa as you say..Araujo in many years. I remember I hated him for body slamming Marvin about 10 years ago...lol I thought it wasn't necessary to send the duck flying. Big Edy with Lil Spurs gave me a good chuckle. Love the way we played against the Clippers, we need to keep it going. Defense defend defense. Speaking of defense, why is the over/under at 191 tonight. If Vegas is right about the total I hope we prevail 96-95. BTW the line is Utah -1.5.

Im worried about Hood, Booker and Mack more than Hayward, Favors and Gobert, call me crazy. Utah is an up and coming team that we shouldn't take lightly. I'm back at the ps4....here's the prediction. LETS GO HAWKS!!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I foolishly thought Gobert fell off a bit .  4.6 DBPM is cray.

I like watching the contrast in styles over the next 3 games.  Good playoff training.  Hawks by MC Eiht.

Gorbert's problem this season has been more health than production while on the floor.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I just realized Trey Burke had a career night against me. 20 dimes! Oh my...:-|

I'm guessing @Alex wouldn't be a fan of that outcome (Burke, Hardaway) for either team.

~lw3

• Moderators

A couple of tidbits I neglected to add earlier:

* The Hawks and Jazz went neck-and-neck at Thrillips back on November 15, with Utah prevailing 97-96 on the strength of Alec Burks (18 points off the bench) and Rodney Hood (20 points, 4-for-9 on threes, rest of team 3-for-12). Despite a pair of long bombs late from Al Horford, Utah got a couple long 2s from Derrick Favors to seal the deal. Thanks to Burks, and Dennis Schröder starting in place of an injured Jeff Teague, Atlanta's bench (led by Shelvin Mack's 7 points) was outscored 34-14.

* Kyle Korver, of course, was also a Jazzmanian Devil, for three seasons (2008 to 2010) before leaving in free agency for Chicago. He was acquired from the Sixers in exchange for Gordan Giricek (who, similar to D-Will, had a very public falling out with Sloan) and a 2010 first-rounder. That 2010 pick was sent to Minnesota in a 2008 deal and eventually became... Trevor Booker. While Steph Curry may be the new Threak-holder, he won't approach Kyle's all-time in-season record of 53.6 3FG%, established during his final season in a Jazz uniform.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Admin

Another great defensive showing!

we have played well on this trip including getting screwed in Golden State.

Jazz could not contain Teague tonight

after the game Bud usually just waves at the other coach.  Glad he went over to see Quinn.

5 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I just realized Trey Burke had a career night against me. 20 dimes! Oh my...:-|

Considering how horrible a point guard he is ... That is impressive

• Like 1

Good win

Hawks great defense has been really consistent, and their offense showing  some improvements since Humphries came in the team. He really help Hawks with the rebounding, and he's contributing in the offensive end with his mid range shots, he's a good shooter and fits in Bud's system really well.

Teague did a great job controlling the hawks offense once again, and Dennis/baze are always aggressive. Sap/horf did a great job setting screens,helping on board and defense. Thabo defense was really good. Korver team defense was good.

Hawks showing a lot of good signs, i think when they got humphries, their confidence came back knowing that they have now a good solid backup big.

Looking forward to next game against toronto. 

Let's go Hawks!!!

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 3

Defensively, the 1st quarter:  Ugh!

Defensively, the final three quarters, outstanding !!

When Humphries plays, Atlanta is 3-0 !

Against Golden State, Hawks were playing five against eight.  Couldn't get that one.  Since then,

Atlanta assures themselves that they will have a winning road trip, already winning 3 of the 5

and still one to go.

GREAT WIN !!

• Like 2

HAHAHAHAHA I love it the Jazz fans on RealGM are already sick and tired of Shelvin Mack. There was one guy that said he's quickly turning into Trey Burke and another said that it's no coincidence they started losing when he came in. I won't be able to post about it as I'll be doing it in bed, but I'll check SBNation to see more.

• Premium Member

Another good win for us! The first quarter had me worried but we came back again. Winning is great but we can't keep starting like that.

Defense was great, Teague was awesome and Mack is still playing for the Hawks. I love Mack but that was pretty painful to watch. They need to try and put together a 48 minute effort this weekend against Toronto and Memphis.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Bud is starting to realize what we already knew about this team which they are a poor shooting team that needs to find other ways to win basketball games.  His Focus and rightfully so has been on defense since the allstar break i.e. playing fewer offensive line up in favor of more more defensive line ups.  Which means more Thabo and less Korver and no 2 point guard line ups at all. Or Milsap at center.  Hopefully in the off season, will get some some rebounding @ the 5 and 3.  If we can rebound and play killer D, this team would be hard to deal with in next year's play offs

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud is starting to realize what we already knew about this team which they are a poor shooting team that needs to find other ways to win basketball games.  His Focus and rightfully so has been on defense since the allstar break i.e. playing fewer offensive line up in favor of more more defensive line ups.  Which means more Thabo and less Korver and no 2 point guard line ups at all. Or Milsap at center.  Hopefully in the off season, will get some some rebounding @ the 5 and 3.  If we can rebound and play killer D, this team would be hard to deal with in next year's play offs

I think we'll be a handful this year, but I'm an optimist. I got ECF for us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I think we'll be a handful this year, but I'm an optimist. I got ECF for us.

Gotta climb to 3rd to avoid Cavs in 2nd round though. Or drop to 6th...

• Like 1

I'd like to see the B-Ball Breakdown guy analyze Bud's present defense.  If I'm not mistaken there was a member here who made a couple great vids. 

The defense goes to the next level when Playoff Teague puts forth the effort.   But our third-most used 5-Man lineup (127 minutes total) is now Dennis-Tim-Thabo-Molly-Al.  They have a whopping, team best +11 FGM and +.133 FG%. per 100 possessions.  

We've been playing the Thibideau Strongside Wall as well as his Celtics or Bulls teams ever did right now. 

Let's Go.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, hazer said:

Gotta climb to 3rd to avoid Cavs in 2nd round though. Or drop to 6th...

I don't think the game is to avoid the Cavs.  They may get the wrong matchup in the first round.  They are an imploding team right now.  I would rather see them than to see a confident Raptors group in the second round.    Not being the face of the League is going to be hard for Bron.  I don't think he will get the ref support that he wants.   Moreover, if we continue to be the defensive Juggernaut  that we look like,  it will make beating them look fun. 

• Like 1

Great win for our Hawks! Defense was great again!

But I'm surprised by one thing after this game and that's that I can't believe the Jazz didn't go harder after one of our pgs. Of course I much rather keep them but I'm shocked at how bad their pg situation is....I like Mack but he's definitely a backup. They have no real starting quality pg and if they are going to run a similar offense like ours one is needed badly!!!

again im not trying to make a case for them to go after one of ours pgs I wouldn't suggest anything to make another team better. Im just a bit shocked because I remember reading that the Jazz wasnt willing to trade any of their core players and they were a bit stubborn about the whole idea.....after watching that game I'm scratching my head asking why?

Jazz need a pg worse than we need a SF. I know Baze isn't really a SF and Thabo can't really play starter minutes at this point of his career but they are extremely serviceable until bud can fetch him another good talent. But the Jazz...man they have no business holding on to every key player. Their pg situation will continue to be one until they decide to trade a core player imo.

*On a side note I don't like Rudy Gobert in this offense he looks very off to me playing this style of ball movement offense! I would much rather keep a smaller center like horford is my point....bigger ain't always better.

• Like 2