• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Two maxed Point Guards

JTB

1 hour ago, rd79 said:

Could both be signed to an early extension after this season or only Dennis?
The extension kicks in after next season, but which years cap is used for the possible max?

If you can sign both and 2016-cap would be used instead of 2017-cap....

1. ...the team could save some money
  2. ...players may (99% will) accept the lower max for security reasons
  3. ...potential trade partners would be sure to keep the obtained player some years what would encourage them to make serious offers
  4. ...if one is traded with kicked in extension you could trade hin for better values because of higher salary (for example next offseason it will be nearly impossible to get value - other than picks - for Dennis)

So maybe @hawksfanatic can enlighten me and tell us if Teague is eligible for an early extension and which cap would be used...

Eh, it's on my to-do list but not really pressing. But I will spout out some info:

Tim and Dennis are both eligible for extensions this off-season. They will be eligible until October 31st, at which point afterwards they cannot sign an extension and will become free agents at the end of the season (likely restricted). If either signs, then their cap hit for the 2016--17 season is unaffected. But whatever agreed upon amount as the starting salary will count in the 2017--18 season (which could be any amount up to their Max....which won't be known until the 2017 off-season but you can still claim it as "the max" instead of the unknown value of $25m or whatever). There is also a sidenote of being Poisson Pilled if the Hawks sign Tim/Dennis to an extension, then wish to trade them during the 2016--17 season. The Hawks would use the actual salary for Tim/Dennis as their outgoing salary, but the team receiving Tim/Dennis would use the average salary salary of their current salary plus all future salary in the extension (so if Tim has $2m salary next year and has an extension paying him $7m, $8m, and $9m then the receiving team would use $6.5m as the salary but the Hawks could only receive up to $3.1m in return for trading away Tim....).

OK that's the extension stuff for rookies. It is different for Vets.

Jeff is eligible for an extension this off-season. But, much like Al Horford, an extension would mean that Jeff could only receive an initial starting salary of $8.6m because it is limited to be 107.5% of the salary and Jeff is a steal at $8m. So no way in hell Jeff does that...BUT the Hawks could go the route of using Cap Space to increase Jeff's current salary AND give him an extension: http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/9/30/9209055/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-al-horford-extension <-that explains this situation exact situation in-depth. If it isn't clear in there, Jeff would be limited to renegotiate up-to the 2016--17 Max and not the 2017--18 Max....Dennis would be off of the 2017--18 Max, which won't be known until the off-season of 2017.

Hopefully that covers everything you want to know, although it might not be that clear.

1 hour ago, rd79 said:

Could both be signed to an early extension after this season or only Dennis?
The extension kicks in after next season, but which years cap is used for the possible max?

If you can sign both and 2016-cap would be used instead of 2017-cap....

1. ...the team could save some money
  2. ...players may (99% will) accept the lower max for security reasons
  3. ...potential trade partners would be sure to keep the obtained player some years what would encourage them to make serious offers
  4. ...if one is traded with kicked in extension you could trade hin for better values because of higher salary (for example next offseason it will be nearly impossible to get value - other than picks - for Dennis)

So maybe @hawksfanatic can enlighten me and tell us if Teague is eligible for an early extension and which cap would be used...

I think if Teague signs an extension, it would be to his current $8 million dollar contract so he definitely won't do that, he will become a FA.

With Dennis as a RFA, we can match any offer for him given by another team OR if the team really wants Dennis and  we are willing to trade him, then we can work a SnT but only if the other team is giving us what we want.

6 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

Eh, it's on my to-do list but not really pressing. But I will spout out some info:

Tim and Dennis are both eligible for extensions this off-season. They will be eligible until October 31st, at which point afterwards they cannot sign an extension and will become free agents at the end of the season (likely restricted). If either signs, then their cap hit for the 2016--17 season is unaffected. But whatever agreed upon amount as the starting salary will count in the 2017--18 season (which could be any amount up to their Max....which won't be known until the 2017 off-season but you can still claim it as "the max" instead of the unknown value of $25m or whatever). There is also a sidenote of being Poisson Pilled if the Hawks sign Tim/Dennis to an extension, then wish to trade them during the 2016--17 season. The Hawks would use the actual salary for Tim/Dennis as their outgoing salary, but the team receiving Tim/Dennis would use the average salary salary of their current salary plus all future salary in the extension (so if Tim has $2m salary next year and has an extension paying him $7m, $8m, and $9m then the receiving team would use $6.5m as the salary but the Hawks could only receive up to $3.1m in return for trading away Tim....).

Jeff is eligible for an extension this off-season. But, much like Al Horford, an extension would mean that Jeff could only receive an initial starting salary of $8.6m because it is limited to be 107.5% of the salary and Jeff is a steal at $8m. So no way in hell Jeff does that...BUT the Hawks could go the route of using Cap Space to increase Jeff's current salary AND give him an extension: http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/9/30/9209055/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-al-horford-extension <-that explains this situation exact situation in-depth. If it isn't clear in there, Jeff would be limited to renegotiate up-to the 2016--17 Max and not the 2017--18 Max....Dennis would be off of the 2017--18 Max, which won't be known until the off-season of 2017.

Hopefully that covers everything you want to know, although it might not be that clear.

I Didn't know about the Renegotiate and extend bit.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I Didn't know about the Renegotiate and extend bit.

You were probably texting in class when I was talking about that back in September.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

You were probably texting in class when I was talking about that back in September.

What the hell, @JayBirdHawk?  What is this fascination with truancy?  What is it that gets inside your head?   In the end, you pay the price when texting in class.

Don't ignore a @hawksfanatic lecture!

Top10Teachers3.jpg

26 minutes ago, AHF said:

What the hell, @JayBirdHawk?  What is this fascination with truancy?  What is it that gets inside your head?   In the end, you pay the price when texting in class.

Don't ignore a @hawksfanatic lecture!

Top10Teachers3.jpg

May I remind you, I'm way more Spicoli than I am Mr. Hand.

15 hours ago, AHF said:

I think the people saying we can't aren't saying you literally can't.  It is like if you said you wanted to sign an entire roster of point guards and they said "you can't."  They know you can they just don't think you can do that and contend.

oh my bad....misunderstanding on my end.

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think most people understand that but saying we need to trade Teague for a WING and a CENTER if teams aren;t willing to trade you one is also unrealistic.  Do you want to take Bucks fans deal of Monroe and MCW for Teague or the Jazz fans deals for Burks and Burke??  I sure as hell don't.  If those are the offers vs resigning both Teague and Dennis, I'll take keeping them both THEN look to move one of them  at a later date.

Same here....and honestly I don't see the big deal in keeping them both the way this new nba style is going. Whats so bad about a 2 point guards being able to run the show while the other one rest?...Seems like more of a benefit to me than a problem. I say hawks don't do anything regarding the two this summer resign Al and Baze and go after a SF with what ever they have left. If that SF turns into a quality pickup then resigning both teague and dennis shouldn't be a problem.

13 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

This is better for a team like Philly. If we get Noel or Okafor for him, they could use their Cap space for an extension of max dollars. Getting a top 10 PG is critical in today's NBA and if they land Simmons or Ingram, it would give them a great young core.

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

2 PGs is still the right way to go.

It is not unless you truly believe the team is close and just growth and development from being able to legitimately contend for a title, Mr. Iron Hot Taker.

It's being proven in the finals they aren't and need significant changes. They aren't even close to consistently playing over a full game like how Cleveland did in game 3.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It is not unless you truly believe the team is close and just growth and development from being able to legitimately contend for a title, Mr. Iron Hot Taker.

It's being proven in the finals they aren't and need significant changes. They aren't even close to consistently playing over a full game like how Cleveland did in game 3.

I do believe this team is close.   I do believe that we need to make a few key moves.  I don't think that Blowing this team up gets us anywhere.

We can't continue running from ghosts.