• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Will we look back on the two GSW losses as the 2015-16 turning point?

sturt

• Premium Member

We're closing out games again like we did last season. TOR looms so so so large, and could send us right back to our previous state. Then, we make it 3 games in 4 days with the Grizzlies and Pacers coming in. Daunting challenge. But self-confessed optimist that I am, I can't help but be a little juiced this morning that we may have turned a corner.

• Like 3

I would never say that I knew this was going to happen with 1/4 of the season left or that the Hawks were sleepwalking in the first 3/4 of the season, but it's a long season and I can see how it would get boring and repetitive. We are peaking at the perfect time imo.

The defensive focus is on point right now even if the offense still has some kinks to work out.  That will keep us in some games.  

Adding Humpries have given them a lift.

Teague is playing with pace and focus.

Now is the perfect time to start putting together runs for the playoffs.

Unfortunately we're going to be fighting till Game 82 for positioning so Edy won't get any time like Musky (happy @hawksfanatic!) did last late year, carrying efficient play into the postseason.  

The defense is peaking and will fuel or compensate for the offense.  We just need to knock on wood for 20 games. We could absorb Splitter's loss because it was foreseen before the buyouts.  No more.

I wouldn't take much from the GS games.  The Hawks know they can play with them or Cleveland.  We've been San Antonio's bitch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I wouldn't take much from the GS games.  The Hawks know they can play with them or Cleveland.

I don't think the team thinks they can beat Cleveland anymore, as from the way it sounded they played scared up there in the first matchup, but we shall see.

6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If you want to talk about "turning points", that 3rd quarter comeback against the Warriors seem to have awaken this team out of their funk.  From that point on, they've been playing tremendous defensive basketball, and the offense has improved as well.

That quarter where the Warriors were completely uninterested in the game and then decided to win later on?  

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The defensive focus is on point right now even if the offense still has some kinks to work out.  That will keep us in some games.  

Adding Humpries have given them a lift.

Teague is playing with pace and focus.

Now is the perfect time to start putting together runs for the playoffs.

only 18 games to go, so ya, definitely!

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If you want to talk about "turning points", that 3rd quarter comeback against the Warriors seem to have awaken this team out of their funk.  From that point on, they've been playing tremendous defensive basketball, and the offense has improved as well.

This is exactly what happened. 

• Moderators

It's a shame we were screwed out of the Warriors win by the refs.   It would have been huge as it would have put us in the spotlight and stopped their home winning streak short of the record.   Plus started a nice win streak for us.  

Loving the Humphries signing but i just keep thinking about the additional lift we would have gotten from Joe or even Kmart coming off the bench.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Dorell Wright is still out there, and as I've observed in previous threads, he actually is arguably a better fit. He's well-regarded as both a 3 guy and a D guy. But I think it's fair to say he's a contributor, not someone who will take over games when you're looking for someone to take over a game.

Just now learning that the obstacle to signing him, besides the valid point that we might still be thinking Lamar should be part of the team next season, is that Wright wants a multi-year commitment...

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/dorell-wright-discusses-china-stint-nba-return/

To me, fwiw, I could stomach committing to 2016-17. The bigger issue is the one I just touched on... Lamar Patterson appears to have almost everything you could want from a combo guard, except he hasn't shot the 3 with the same consistency he did in college. To have a strong team year after year, I'm one of those who is persuaded you really do have to develop your 2nd rounders into appreciable assets, and I just think given how he's actually even been part of the rotation for some games this season, he's on the cusp of being one of our success stories. If you release him to pick up Wright, sure you might be able to bring him back, but then again you might not... and after all, how much of a difference in this season's results will Wright ultimately make? Maybe one or two wins at best?

So... I can go either way really. But I suppose I get more interested in making the move if, indeed, we continue to surge. That because, to the degree that we become more likely to ascend to contender status, those opportunities don't come every year in the NBA, and you have to maximize the opportunities you get.

Wright wouldn't be a savior. What he would be is, to my mind, essentially a mirror image of Thabo--ie, whereas Thabo has the well-earned rep of being a good defender and is a capable shooter from the arc, Wright has the well-earned rep of being a decent 3 shooter and is a capable defender. And that could be a very good one-two punch to have in the playoffs and against some of the feature SFs we'll have to overcome to advance.

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, sturt said:

Dorell Wright is still out there, and as I've observed in previous threads, he actually is arguably a better fit. He's well-regarded as both a 3 guy and a D guy. But I think it's fair to say he's a contributor, not someone who will take over games when you're looking for someone to take over a game.

Just now learning that the obstacle to signing him, besides the valid point that we might still be thinking Lamar should be part of the team next season, is that Wright wants a multi-year commitment...

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/dorell-wright-discusses-china-stint-nba-return/

To me, fwiw, I could stomach committing to 2016-17. The bigger issue is the one I just touched on... Lamar Patterson appears to have almost everything you could want from a combo guard, except he hasn't shot the 3 with the same consistency he did in college. To have a strong team year after year, I'm one of those who is persuaded you really do have to develop your 2nd rounders into appreciable assets, and I just think given how he's actually even been part of the rotation for some games this season, he's on the cusp of being one of our success stories. If you release him to pick up Wright, sure you might be able to bring him back, but then again you might not... and after all, how much of a difference in this season's results will Wright ultimately make? Maybe one or two wins at best?

So... I can go either way really. But I suppose I get more interested in making the move if, indeed, we continue to surge. That because, to the degree that we become more likely to ascend to contender status, those opportunities don't come every year in the NBA, and you have to maximize the opportunities you get.

Wright wouldn't be a savior. What he would be is, to my mind, essentially a mirror image of Thabo--ie, whereas Thabo has the well-earned rep of being a good defender and is a capable shooter from the arc, Wright has the well-earned rep of being a decent 3 shooter and is a capable defender. And that could be a very good one-two punch to have in the playoffs and against some of the feature SFs we'll have to overcome to advance.

I'm guessing Bud is feeling like he has 4 wings in the rotation now.  If we bring someone in like Wright who's minutes is he taking?   I think having another option is a great idea though.

I hope you're right about Patterson but i've been unimpressed with him.   It seems like he's lacking in raw talent and will just end up being the wing version of Shelvin Mack.     Gary Neal got released by the Wiz but i'm guessing he's screwed as far as making a playoff roster right?   I know nothing about him but I think he can shoot a bit. 

• Premium Member

No, playoff rosters aren't set until next month as I understand it. The March 1 deadline was for players to be bought out AND be eligible for the playoffs.

If I'm Bud, I'm answering the question of who's minutes is he taking pretty much the same way I would have answered it if we'd gotten KMart.... whenever I see we need there's a need to inject a little more offense, I'm inserting Wright in for someone who isn't serving that need effectively.

As for Patterson, I suppose the reason I'm more cautious to let  him go is that when you look at the relatively few chances he's gotten to perform, he's shown up. And I dare say if he could have shot 35% from the arc instead of 25%, we might still be wondering if Hardaway Jr would ever get back on the floor, just like we were in December. If Patterson hadn't been a capable 3 shooter at Pitt, I'd be much less cautious than I am. But he was decent-to-good, and I'm wary that it's premature to let him go at this stage.

Neal isn't playoff eligible and I think he has some kinda foot injury. 

I prefer not to sign Wright if he's looking for a multi-year deal. We still have sometime to set the playoff roster.

• Premium Member

We have one 2-day break next Monday and Tuesday, and then one 3-day break April 2-4. Those are the only gaps left in the season.

Budcox, when you call me for advice, what you're going to hear is if we win beat TOR tonight, MEM on Sat and IND on Sun... release Lamar,  and let's go ahead and get Dorell signed Sunday night so he's ready to meet his new teammates Monday.

Otherwise, let's set this aside, leaving open the slim possibility of re-evaluating Saturday am 4/1, ie, the morning after our Fri game vs. CLE.

2016-03-10_1556.png