• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks nemesis retires

capstone21

29 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I opened this thread thinking I might see that Paul Pierce retired.

Same here...

23 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

OK I'll bite, what was the event that Joey Crawford did to the Atlanta Hawks that caused this vitriol?

It's not a single "event", he consistently miscalls Hawks games. You've watched him call a Hawks game, right? And an ego as enormous as his has no place changing the playoff standings, as it has in the past:

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2840587

17 minutes ago, hazer said:

It's not a single "event", he consistently miscalls Hawks games. You've watched him call a Hawks game, right? And an ego as enormous as his has no place changing the playoff standings, as it has in the past:

What it sounds like to me is..... You don't really have a reason to say he's a Hawks nemesis. Especially if you have to resort to incidents that don't involve the Hawks.

If there's an actual event that Crawford screwed the Hawks over, as this thread implies, then it should be fairly simple to answer my question as to what Crawford has done to be a nemesis.

Was he the ref that screwed the Hawks over in the 2012 playoffs against the Celtics? Did he give Bud a T for " physical intimidation "? I don't think I'm asking anything extreme here, what actual incident did Crawford screw us over with? I already know how he f***ed the Spurs over.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, hazer said:

This is really Stern's fault.   He had ample opportunity to can him.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hawksfanatic said:

What it sounds like to me is..... You don't really have a reason to say he's a Hawks nemesis. Especially if you have to resort to incidents that don't involve the Hawks.

If there's an actual event that Crawford screwed the Hawks over, as this thread implies, then it should be fairly simple to answer my question as to what Crawford has done to be a nemesis.

Was he the ref that screwed the Hawks over in the 2012 playoffs against the Celtics? Did he give Bud a T for " physical intimidation "? I don't think I'm asking anything extreme here, what actual incident did Crawford screw us over with? I already know how he f***ed the Spurs over.

Duncan not withstanding i'd say Crawford embodies the old school way of calling games that often looked the other way at 'superstar' transgressions and made crap up seemingly to further the agenda of putting preferred teams on top.   Not having a superstar for the last 20 years makes games he ref'd for the hawks pretty crummy but i don't know of specific disasterous calls he made against us.     I'm happy to have him out of the league because it's undeniable that his behaviour in many, many instances was unprofessional and frankly would cause a shorter termed ref to be fired on the spot.   My guess is that the nba was scared of the info he could reveal about their instructions to the refs back in the day.   Donaghy they can slough off as a criminal but if he got corroborated by the highest profile, most senior guy in the league then they've got big time problems.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

I only watch the Hawks since Dennis was drafted, but since then I watched at least 98% of all Hawks games.

I only know the names of two referees: Joey Crawford and Tony Brothers, and that's the case because I was mad about calls of 'em quite often and because they didn't behave like I would expect from referees. They seem to have big egos and seem to enjoy the power to decide about right or wrong.

So I don't know if Crawford was a Hawks nemesis, but at least he seemed not to be a good referee over the last three seasons in Hawks games to me.

Edited by rd79

4 hours ago, rd79 said:

I only watch the Hawks since Dennis was drafted, but since then I watched at least 98% of all Hawks games.

I only know the names of two referees: Joey Crawford and Tony Brothers, and that's the case because I was mad about calls of 'em quite often and because they didn't behave like I would expect from referees. They seem to have big egos and seem to enjoy the power to decide about right or wrong.

So I don't know if Crawford was a Hawks nemesis, but at least he seemed not to be a good referee over the last three seasons in Hawks games to me.

My guess is that you remember those names because those are the names that pop up across the internet whenever you ask "Who are the bad refs?" or whatever. You know, where there's a whole article from VICE Sports devoted to claiming Joey Crawford Is the Worst. I'm not disputing them as poor refs, but I don't see at all how these guys are Hawks nemesis and have targeted us in any way. What I think happens is you hear through wind that Joey Crawford is a bad ref, then you see he is the ref one night, and then you focus on any and every call that Joey Crawford makes in the game to confirm that "yeah exactly he is sooooo bad because he made some calls against us!"

If you wanted an actual list of refs that are Hawks nemsis, you'd probably start with Ben Taylor who tossed Bud out of a game and then had the NBA Ref Union ransack Bud's integrity. You might also go with Eric Lewis who in the 2012 playoffs totally whiffed on an incident where Marquis Daniels fouled Horford before the ball was inbounded in the final minutes of the game....which should have been free throws and the ball but nope. The NBA came out and said the refs f-ed up. Maybe you think about recently how the refs screwed up the end of the Knicks game on January 5th by overturning an out of bounds call on Melo to the Knicks favor. That would be either John Goble, Matt Boland, or Marat Kogut who screwed the Hawks over.

Usually, when you call someone a nemesis you have like an actual reason for it. As far as I can tell, no one here knows why they hate Joey Crawford. They can point to events involving other teams that were unprofessional, but last I checked this is a Hawks forum. I can't recall an incident with Joey and involving Atlanta that would put him on my shitlist.

13 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

My guess is that you remember those names because those are the names that pop up across the internet whenever you ask "Who are the bad refs?" or whatever. You know, where there's a whole article from VICE Sports devoted to claiming Joey Crawford Is the Worst. I'm not disputing them as poor refs, but I don't see at all how these guys are Hawks nemesis and have targeted us in any way. What I think happens is you hear through wind that Joey Crawford is a bad ref, then you see he is the ref one night, and then you focus on any and every call that Joey Crawford makes in the game to confirm that "yeah exactly he is sooooo bad because he made some calls against us!"

If you wanted an actual list of refs that are Hawks nemsis, you'd probably start with Ben Taylor who tossed Bud out of a game and then had the NBA Ref Union ransack Bud's integrity. You might also go with Eric Lewis who in the 2012 playoffs totally whiffed on an incident where Marquis Daniels fouled Horford before the ball was inbounded in the final minutes of the game....which should have been free throws and the ball but nope. The NBA came out and said the refs f-ed up. Maybe you think about recently how the refs screwed up the end of the Knicks game on January 5th by overturning an out of bounds call on Melo to the Knicks favor. That would be either John Goble, Matt Boland, or Marat Kogut who screwed the Hawks over.

Usually, when you call someone a nemesis you have like an actual reason for it. As far as I can tell, no one here knows why they hate Joey Crawford. They can point to events involving other teams that were unprofessional, but last I checked this is a Hawks forum. I can't recall an incident with Joey and involving Atlanta that would put him on my shitlist.

Actually it's the other way around, at 1st I saw them on the games and in the case of Crawford it was like "WTF who is this old blind acting up grandpa and why is he reffing NBA games?" and then I started reading his Wikipedia article. Trust me, I google a lot, but I never googled something similar to "Who are the bad refs?"

I didn't call anybody Hawks nemesis. I only wrote that I recognized these two refs as bad refs while watching Hawks games.

Edited by rd79

17 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

I never said he's a Hawks nemesis, the creator of this thread did. I just don't like him, and explained why ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hazer said:

I never said he's a Hawks nemesis, the creator of this thread did. I just don't like him, and explained why ;)

Well you did respond to my question of asking what he did to the Hawks and then call into question whether or not I watch the games.

OK I'm done now, I've made my point clear that there isn't an actual event here. It's a dumbass thread title. If the point was Crawford sucks and you're glad he's gone that's one thing, but to call the guy a nemesis makes me question one's command of the english language.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

Being an unprofessional, immature, and terrible ref isn't enough reason to dislike him?   Why does he have to do something egregious directly the Hawks to warrant scorn?   I absolutely know why I don't like Crawford.

Crawford is a POS and I'm glad he's done.  While I can't recall exact games, dates, and timestamps of his screw jobs, it doesn't detract from the fact of the matter that he is, indeed, a POS and one who screwed the Hawks. I don't waste my precious, beautiful brain cells on his ass to keep a file regularly updated, but he's given plenty of opportunities to shine. I do recall threads or chats in the past where he was roundly criticized for his calls, including playoff games. And I even recall a stat someone brought up where there was a big disproproportion in the number of loses by the Hawks when Crawford reffed compared to the rest of the games when he wasn't a ref.  Don't bother asking me to provide links, references, documentation, or photos, because I don't GAF enough about this ass to waste any more of my time on him. I've already given too much with this post. 

#ByeFelicia

• Like 2