• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Raptors

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Baze seemed like all his energy went to trying to guard Derozan.    Hardaway looked real good in the first half.   He didn't do much in the 4th but honestly he didn't really get any touches because it seemed like Dennis was trying to do his Teague time imitation to lesser effect.

I know i'll get burned for this but i'm at the point where i'd rather live with Hardaway trying to score than any of our other wings.    

I got your bak, macd.  Timmay looked fantastic for a stretch there.  Even ol' stodgy-a** @AHF has to admit that.

• Moderators

It was a pretty damn crappy 2nd half offensively.   It made it look like the Raps are kicking our butt in the standings for a reason.    I'm just pretty discouraged about this season.    We didn't build on a great season,  we've taken two steps back and the proof is displayed to us whenever we face the top teams in the league.   

Our system needs to have room for someone to take over the game.  Teague does it sometimes.   He didn't get a chance last night.   I think Tim could do it if given enough rope.   

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I got your bak, macd.  Timmay looked fantastic for a stretch there.  Even ol' stodgy-a** @AHF has to admit that.

If he can actually look over a longer period of time like he has the last 5 or 6 games, then I think we've got a very useful backup SG.  My complaining will go way down.  He is playing decent D and actually shooting the ball effectively (novel for a shooting guard).  I don't want to curse him but I think he has improved from a big negative to a positive member of our rotation.  That is big for us.  He is never going to put up a lot of secondary numbers (rebounds, assists, etc.) but if he can just shoot the ball and present a real threat on the perimeter he can add a lot to this team.

His shooting splits for March look like an entirely different player.  Small sample size but very positive progress.

Kudos to THJr!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

If he can actually look over a longer period of time like he has the last 5 or 6 games, then I think we've got a very useful backup SG.  My complaining will go way down.  He is playing decent D and actually shooting the ball effectively (novel for a shooting guard).  I don't want to curse him but I think he has improved from a big negative to a positive member of our rotation.  That is big for us.  He is never going to put up a lot of secondary numbers (rebounds, assists, etc.) but if he can just shoot the ball and present a real threat on the perimeter he can add a lot to this team.

His shooting splits for March look like an entirely different player.  Small sample size but very positive progress.

Kudos to THJr!

Now was that so hard?  Sheesh.

Funny what happens when a guy gets regular playing time, huh?

58 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It was a pretty damn crappy 2nd half offensively.   It made it look like the Raps are kicking our butt in the standings for a reason.    I'm just pretty discouraged about this season.    We didn't build on a great season,  we've taken two steps back and the proof is displayed to us whenever we face the top teams in the league.   

Our system needs to have room for someone to take over the game.  Teague does it sometimes.   He didn't get a chance last night.   I think Tim could do it if given enough rope.   

The Raptors mostly handed the Hawks their ass last year also.

Most of these games against Toronto plays out the same way. The Hawks struggle to contain this team... The Raptors have bigs that can match up with the Hawks.  Players like Valanciunas and Patterson had the Hawks their ass. It seems like the role players of Toronto are always on against the Hawks.The guards can get to where they want on the floor also. 

The thing is... It does not seem as if the game plan is ever different from the Hawks. The Raptors always stay in front of the Hawks and keep them at arms length. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

It's true. Other teams know the Hawks are going to do the same shit over and over regardless if it's working or not. 

They know that any one Hawk is unlikely to go for more than 20 points. The threat of a Hawk player having a really huge night is minimal. 

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Baze seemed like all his energy went to trying to guard Derozan.    Hardaway looked real good in the first half.   He didn't do much in the 4th but honestly he didn't really get any touches because it seemed like Dennis was trying to do his Teague time imitation to lesser effect.

I know i'll get burned for this but i'm at the point where i'd rather live with Hardaway trying to score than any of our other wings.    

More people agree with this than you thought, huh?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

More people agree with this than you thought, huh?

I guess so.   That's cool.  To me it's not about THj just hitting shots.   That's what everyone else on the team does and most of them that's all they do.   He's the one guy who is showing he can get his own shot and also drive.   None of our other wings are any good at those things.   But we shouldn't be treating Hardaway like Korver or Baze and just trying to plug him into their role.   There needs to be room in the offense for him to create, not just try to get open for a 3.   

I just kept thinking last night how awesome we'd be if we signed Derozan this summer.   

• Premium Member

I know we don't want to blame the defense, however, defensively, we did nothing to stop these guys from getting to the rim everytime they drove the ball.  In a way that was expected but when you couple that with mssing shots in the 2nd half... then you have to start believing that we have to play better defense and Please Please Rebound!!

I will give some Credit to Horf.  His outside shooting is a problem for Toronto.  I wish Sap and Korver could hit something.

Nicolas Batum and Courtney Lee... Coach Bud would like to speak with you .

Korver's percentages look better the last several weeks, but he is still not consistent from game to game.  He used to hit timely 3's that injected life into the team. Now, most of his three's seem irrelevant. He simply does not have the same impact on games that he was having in the previous 2 seasons. He just is not a game changer at this point.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Do you think having Scott would have made a difference?

I doubt it. We played hard but the Raptors played their A game, they deserved the win. Although the refs were really bad too though.