• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Pacers at Hawks

lethalweapon3

3 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

The screens and Kyle's off the ball movement seemed a lot more crisp last night. Those things have been missing this year.

His confidence seems to be growing which is something we haven't seen since way before DellavaDLeague took aim at his legs.

Lastly, who are you lately with all this positivity?  Did your account get hacked?

• Moderators

We've been playing great and it was nice to see a pretty complete game.   All the playoff teams in the east are hot though except Indy which is why we've gone down to 6th (tied for 5th really).     Avoiding the Cavs until the ECF would be great but right now all we can really focus on is home court at least in the first round. 

I think Teague is playing some of his best defense in a LONG while. He is actually fighting through and around screens.

Like Hots pointed out, our screen setting to free up dribblers and shooters have been solid. 

Sap with the quick hands is getting contagious.

Thabo, we really missed thee last playoffs. The distance he covers, his double team and recovery is amazing. He is just a really smart defender.

I think Baze and Thabo have been seeing more minutes together. Bud's switched the rotation a bit where instead of subbing Thabo for Baze in the 1st quarter it's Thabo for Kyke.  Then it's Dennis and Tim for Teague and Baze. I'm liking these rotations.

Speaking of THJr - watching his defense live was unexpected,  in a good way.  He's almost snake like in the way he slithers around screens and stays attached to his man. I remember 3 specific plays where his anticipation of a pass/play was spot on.  It allowed him to get 2 steals from 2 of them. The other occurred with just under 5 minutes or so left in  2nd quarter (I think) where he left his guy to cut off a drive at the freethrow line then still got back to his guy denying the pass (I'll have to review the tape for more specifics).

On offense, he looked like he's still thinking the offense. It's like he's trying to dispel his 'chucker' NY label.  A few times it looked liked he could easily drive and take his man off the dribble and get to the basket but he would just take one or two dribbles then pass. I think he can be more aggressive on offense.

He's still a work in progress but I like how he's trending specifically on defense particular because of what his previous numbers indicated.

What if he turns out to be a better defensive player than offensive player?  

31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think Teague is playing some of his best defense in a LONG while. He is actually fighting through and around screens.

Like Hots pointed out, our screen setting to free up dribblers and shooters have been solid. 

Sap with the quick hands is getting contagious.

Thabo, we really missed thee last playoffs. The distance he covers, his double team and recovery is amazing. He is just a really smart defender.

I think Baze and Thabo have been seeing more minutes together. Bud's switched the rotation a bit where instead of subbing Thabo for Baze in the 1st quarter it's Thabo for Kyke.  Then it's Dennis and Tim for Teague and Baze. I'm liking these rotations.

Speaking of THJr - watching his defense live was unexpected,  in a good way.  He's almost snake like in the way he slithers around screens and stays attached to his man. I remember 3 specific plays where his anticipation of a pass/play was spot on.  It allowed him to get 2 steals from 2 of them. The other occurred with just under 5 minutes or so left in  2nd quarter (I think) where he left his guy to cut off a drive at the freethrow line then still got back to his guy denying the pass (I'll have to review the tape for more specifics).

On offense, he looked like he's still thinking the offense. It's like he's trying to dispel his 'chucker' NY label.  A few times it looked liked he could easily drive and take his man off the dribble and get to the basket but he would just take one or two dribbles then pass. I think he can be more aggressive on offense.

He's still a work in progress but I like how he's trending specifically on defense particular because of what his previous numbers indicated.

What if he turns out to be a better defensive player than offensive player?  

Surprisingly great analysis, Bird.  It's good your hubby let you out of the kitchen for an afternoon for something other than a tupperware party.  Avon mixer?

Seriously though, I noticed the same on Jr.  Really conscious on the defensive end.  Has a few lapses but I'll gladly live with it over the alternative.  Budz new rotations have been so much better especially with Humphries being a much more capable backup to Alison.  The guy has been just what the doctor ordered.  Just enough of a contrast to give us the energy/reboarding we sorely needed but also competent enough offensively to not totally throw thangs off (as a turd like Reggie Evans would most certainly do).  Musc is probably pissed right now that his spot got took.

:Moose: "Naw, I ain't pissed, kg.  Budz jus' saving me for da playoffs."

Yeah, mmkay bro.

Lastly, if the bolded happened, @AHF's head would implexplode.  He'd turn into a shrunken-head dude (I started to say a zika-baby but felt that was totally over the line #personalgrowth?).

Great minds.  I was gonna post how well Tim gets back in transition last night.  Once he stunned their whole team because he halted a poorly spaced 1 on 3 break by himself.   As @JayBirdHawk alluded to, he does move his feet very smoothly.  Clearly Thabo been coaching him up.  It's amazing he's a part of the third most used lineup (Dennis, Molly, Al, Thabo) that is murdering  per 100.  

Playing Thabo and Baze clearly presents offensive limitations.  I can live with them when the defensive possibilities are sky high and both are good in transition.

Bud's patience knows no bounds, most of us were sure we had another Payne draft day bust on our hands.  Tim's development gives me more hope that Edy will come along in time.  If and when he does, we wok cooking.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Surprisingly great analysis, Bird.  It's good your hubby let you out of the kitchen for an afternoon for something other than a tupperware party.  Avon mixer?

Seriously though, I noticed the same on Jr.  Really conscious on the defensive end.  Has a few lapses but I'll gladly live with it over the alternative.  Budz new rotations have been so much better especially with Humphries being a much more capable backup to Alison.  The guy has been just what the doctor ordered.  Just enough of a contrast to give us the energy/reboarding we sorely needed but also competent enough offensively to not totally throw thangs off (as a turd like Reggie Evans would most certainly do).  Musc is probably pissed right now that his spot got took.

:Moose: "Naw, I ain't pissed, kg.  Budz jus' saving me for da playoffs."

Yeah, mmkay bro.

Lastly, if the bolded happened, @AHF's head would implexplode.  He'd turn into a shrunken-head dude (I started to say a zika-baby but felt that was totally over the line #personalgrowth?).

bunk-the-wire.gif~c200

• Moderators

How about Thabo's block on PG.   Nique actually had good analysis on that.  That was one lazy shot attempt by PG.   I don't know where he though Thabo was but that block was sweet.    Also a nice dunk on the break by Thabo.   Looked like a video game dunk it happened so fast.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How about Thabo's block on PG.   Nique actually had good analysis on that.  That was one lazy shot attempt by PG.   I don't know where he though Thabo was but that block was sweet.    Also a nice dunk on the break by Thabo.   Looked like a video game dunk it happened so fast.

PGeorge IIUC was complaining about how tired they were since it was a back-to-back, they just had a day game, blah, blah, blah.  That's so sickening.  That's why I like teams like SAN that don't preach the eggscuses.  If you give these guys an 'out' they'll take it.  Oh, it was a 'scheduling loss'.  WTF does that mean?  How about have some freaking pride to not let another team beat your a**?

But I digress, Thabo is feelin' it lately on D and it's great to watch.  Not to be confused with @hawksfanatic who makes a career of feelin' the D (ohhhh, see what you started?).

17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

But I digress, Thabo is feelin' it lately on D and it's great to watch.  Not to be confused with @hawksfanatic who makes a career of feelin' the D (ohhhh, see what you started?).

I learned it from your mom!

wait....shit, no nevermind DELETE RESPONSE

47 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

One of the most underrated players in the league.  OKC and Bulls fans often lament his departure.  That dunk was sweet.  Or Swissy.

It's amazing to have your leg broken and come back a year later as good as ever, if not better!  Bud has him at nearly 1 above his career average in rebounding, near his All-Defensive season in defensive box and shares, and blowing away his best shooting percentage season by .024.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Ya'll mad?  LOL.  

He must read the Squawk, and know that people call him a jinx when he calls a game "too early".

Not to pile on Nique (but it is a pile on)...but last night in the post game wrap up with Bob, he's talking about how the Pacers hung tough but then "Succame" to the Hawks pressure.  Succumbed Nique Succumbed.

It was cringe worthy............

Woody_zps5975078e.gif~c200

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not to pile on Nique (but it is a pile on)...but last night in the post game wrap up with Bob, he's talking about how the Pacers hung tough but then "Succame" to the Hawks pressure.  Succumbed Nique Succumbed.

lol I just took a swig of water before reading that.  Big mistake.

Bird just made @TheNorthCydeRises hit list.  "See, see all he does wrong is butcher the english language, it's not like all he has to do is talk for a living, blah, blah, blah"  Wait, whut? (kidding, Cyde.  Don't tase me bro)

Also, I just googled 'succame'.  First references were @hawksfanatic and a pic of hawksfanatic's mom.  Weird

44 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Woody_zps5975078e.gif~c200

I make this Woody face a lot when Nique is about to speak. Lol. Jk North...also this is my face when @hawksfanatic and @kg01 are going back n forth... Oh, also it's my O face..

Oooooo, Oooooo,ooooooo... You know what I'm talkin about...O..

5 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I make this Woody face a lot when Nique is about to speak. Lol. Jk North...also this is my face when @hawksfanatic and @kg01 are going back n forth... Oh, also it's my O face..

Oooooo, Oooooo,ooooooo... You know what I'm talkin about...O..

o-face2.gif

(sorry, just got done with momma @kg01 ifyaknowwhatimean)

4 hours ago, AHF said:

I am sure he has a decent %.  We win a majority of our games and he isn't going to say it when we get blown out.  Just more memorable this year given our struggles in close games.

I know I'm just kiddin around with North...Nique is still awesome and I enjoy listening to him and Bun.

Oh btw, congrats @AHF for not only sliding past me to get in the playoffs but leapfrogging another team to get to 5th. Good luck in the fantasy playoffs...givem heck.