• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Realistic offseason projections?

bumpyphish1

9 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

No Baze or Muscala. Trade Splitter and Scott for the right offers. Trade Jeff (only for an awesome offer). Draft a sf/sg/pg in that order. Look for a free agent wing. First option is Durant, followed by a close 2nd option in Batum.

oh most importantly... RESIGN BOSS!!!! 

Nobody is going to want Splitter. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Agreed SF is biggest need.  Hence a run at Durant or Batum.

Agree with a lot.  But, you are insane if you think we are going to be able to "trade Scott" or "Trade Jeff (only for an awesome offer)."  Scott gets waived or picked up, likely the former.  Curious what an "awesome offer" is, but for a guy with one year left on his contract, unless he is willing to commit to re-sign with the new team, Teague can be had for less than "an awesome offer."  He will be traded unless we literally get offered jackspit for him.  I'd deal him for a top 20 first round pick either this year or even next, I think, at this point.  Hawks made a calculated move to take less for him for the benefit of having him the rest of the year (at the deadline.)  Don't know what his market value will be--maybe can work something out with his hometown Pacers.

Everyone else failed this exercise....reasonable ideas?  Anyone?

I highly doubt Durant and Batum would consider ATL. For Durant, it seems like GS, OKC and WAS are his options. Batum is highly likely to stay in CHA since they gave Clifford an extension.

Hawks overvalue their players. In a perfect world, I could imagine they want a top 5 pick for Teague. I think they'll hold on to him. So many young talented PGs, plus you got FAs like Conley on the market, just getting a top 15 pick for Teague would be great. 

People are going to surprised when Bud extends Teague and Dennis...then hit they ass with that famous line "We will protect our core players"

Point guard play is too important for bud to give up teague or Dennis in his system. He's loving the all game point guard pressure these two have on opponents. It's just as good as having a lone star point guard. Two potential all star pgs are leading this team on offense every night. One get tired throw the other one in and the constant penetration to the lane keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and going....

6 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

You create a thread, people respond, then you belittle them. Lol. Way to keep the thread going. 

Sorry, I don't mince words when it comes to senseless comments.

54 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

I highly doubt Durant and Batum would consider ATL. For Durant, it seems like GS, OKC and WAS are his options. Batum is highly likely to stay in CHA since they gave Clifford an extension.

Hawks overvalue their players. In a perfect world, I could imagine they want a top 5 pick for Teague. I think they'll hold on to him. So many young talented PGs, plus you got FAs like Conley on the market, just getting a top 15 pick for Teague would be great. 

If the Hawks manage to go to back to back ECF's, Charlotte > ATL for Batum?  I think not.  Their roster isn't close and while Clifford is good, he's not Bud.  Batum can sign up to play in a system he's made for, play with 'Horf, 'Sap, (and Dennis--yes, he will be that good very soon)...or what....play with a young team whose best player is who....Kemba Walker?  Jeremy Lin (of late)?  Sorry, one of these teams is a piece away from challenging Cleveland for the EC.  It's not the Hornets, btw.  If pay is equal and he he gives a f about winning, he'd pick ATL in a heartbeat.

11 minutes ago, JTB said:

People are going to surprised when Bud extends Teague and Dennis...then hit they ass with that famous line "We will protect our core players"

Point guard play is too important for bud to give up teague or Dennis in his system. He's loving the all game point guard pressure these two have on opponents. It's just as good as having a lone star point guard. Two potential all star pgs are leading this team on offense every night. One get tired throw the other one in and the constant penetration to the lane keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and going....

Lala land.  Can't afford both.  Closest scenario is keeping Teague one more year--I'd lay 3-1 odds he isn't back next year though.

45 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

See now that is an honest and probably very true and likely statement on what's going to happen. This is the Atlanta Hawks we are talking about. Not the Celtics or Lakers franchises where stars and good players will run to even if they are bad...no we are talking about the Hawks. ANY LONG TIME HAWKS FAN KNOW WE CANT JUST GIVE AWAY TALENT. You can't go into the off season saying we are going to trade Teague for a top 20 unproven pick. Its too big of a risk for us that can back fire in our face. Why? Because it's hard for us to get reliable free agents and fair trades. So if it back fires we are effected by that attempt for years to come whereas other franchises can get over that situation within a year or two. We trade away talent and it don't work out we ain't getting it back! Which is why youve seen the hawks keep their core players. Too many teams try to rip us off and in an off season where there aren't many or hardly just  2 starting caliber point guards available in free agency this upcoming summer (1 with major injury history) and With a weak draft class at point , the Hawks should be the only team doing the ripping off for once if teams want Teague.

Do we overvalue our players? maybe or maybe not. It's hard to tell. We don't normally get players wanting to come to Atlanta even on batums level. So holding on to your own when you know how free agency is going to treat you is a being overly protective reaction from what has happened in prior years.

Truthfully our biggest free agent pick up is likely a joakim Noah to help with rebounding and I'm only linking him because of Horford. Kevin Durant should have never even been brought up. It's hard to say should we go after him and waste that time when we could be going after batum or Barnes which are also unlikely but more likely than a damn superstar player. And I don't know why stars don't like Atlanta as far as playing here but it's not just them it's really any decent good reliable player.

Maybe a trip back to the ECF will change that but I'm not banking on it if we don't put up a good challenge.

REALISTICALLY in the off season we are probably going to resign our own players and make that a priority like we normally do. Bud and staff will then turn their attention to finding a blue collar like cheap SF that they can develop. And that will be all she wrote.

28 minutes ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Lala land.  Can't afford both.  Closest scenario is keeping Teague one more year--I'd lay 3-1 odds he isn't back next year though.

How can we not afford both? Where did you get that from?

hawks can retain any of their own players. We own their bird rights and money speaks volumes to all NBA players these days. So if the Hawks want them back than they will be back. You may not like the way of getting them back because it will likely take a max deal for each but if they want them it's a done deal.

not sure where you got the they can't afford them stuff from.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Right, and that would be a brilliant deal considering Dennis is already to the point where he is at Teague's level or damn close.  4.5 years younger with both seeking contracts in the same offseason.

Bud is smart.  He will pick Dennis.  Why do you think they shopped Teague so hard at the deadline?  Smoke and mirrors?

You really getting annoying, how the hell you gonna say realistic when in reality, you just trying to make this realistic in your opinion. Let people talk without acting like your the GM. This ain't RealGM. We all giving our opinions. What someone think is realistic might not be for you but let them talk.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Born Ready

I've let go of my fandom but I respect you still going strong.  I still get a kick out of watching him though.  I'm amazed simply at how many dribbles he takes. How do you lose a game where Tony Allen shoots 12-12?  I wished Clarkson and Randle could be freed from LA, their potentials are very high.

Sorry for the awful, non-substantive, off-topic post, @bumpyphish1.  Won't happen again.  As far as the Hawks' offseason I got nothin to add after you hit the nail on everything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Sorry, I don't mince words when it comes to senseless comments.

If the Hawks manage to go to back to back ECF's, Charlotte > ATL for Batum?  I think not.  Their roster isn't close and while Clifford is good, he's not Bud.  Batum can sign up to play in a system he's made for, play with 'Horf, 'Sap, (and Dennis--yes, he will be that good very soon)...or what....play with a young team whose best player is who....Kemba Walker?  Jeremy Lin (of late)?  Sorry, one of these teams is a piece away from challenging Cleveland for the EC.  It's not the Hornets, btw.  If pay is equal and he he gives a f about winning, he'd pick ATL in a heartbeat.

Not true.

• Premium Member

Other than Bazemore, I think the Hawks could, in theory, max out or near max all of their guys to keep them because of their bird rights.  So they could definitely max both Teague and Dennis.  What is unknown at this point is does Bud want to do that and will ownership be willing to spend big for that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Other than Bazemore, I think the Hawks could, in theory, max out or near max all of their guys to keep them because of their bird rights.  So they could definitely max both Teague and Dennis.  What is unknown at this point is does Bud want to do that and will ownership be willing to spend big for that.

That might be the only choice they have.

• Moderators

So this is offseason projections and the projection is that we sign Durant?   What a stupid projection to start a thread on.   Sorry I don't mince words.    If it was offseason fantasy land then i'd give it a pass.    

We'll be back with roughly the same team but hopefully an upgraded SF.   But it won't be someone who's already an all star.    I agree that Teague comes back unless we get a great deal.   That's a real projection. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Also just because we resign both in 2017, does not mean we have to keep both moving forward.

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So this is offseason projections and the projection is that we sign Durant?   What a stupid projection to start a thread on.   Sorry I don't mince words.    If it was offseason fantasy land then i'd give it a pass.    

We'll be back with roughly the same team but hopefully an upgraded SF.   But it won't be someone who's already an all star.    I agree that Teague comes back unless we get a great deal.   That's a real projection. 

The best part is the OP coming back after like 20 minutes and chastising all of us for our awful predictions.  Meanwhile, his realistic offseason projection starts with us signing Durant.

First of all, shouldn't this be in one of the sub-forums anyways.  modzplzbanOP  Sorry  I mince veggies, not words.

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The best part is the OP coming back after like 20 minutes and chastising all of us for our awful predictions.  Meanwhile, his realistic offseason projection starts with us signing Durant.

First of all, shouldn't this be in one of the sub-forums anyways.  modzplzbanOP  Sorry  I mince veggies, not words.

I knew he was gonna get killed from all angles.  To be fair it seems like he's been AM boozing

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I knew he was gonna get killed from all angles.  To be fair it seems like he's been AM boozing

I think you and I might be the only ones here who're not AM boozing.